★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Qiao Jin
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 2.8 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Griddlers, also known as Paint by Numbers or Nonograms are picture logic puzzles in which cells in a grid have to be colored or left blank according to numbers given at the side of the grid to reveal a hidden picture. In this puzzle type, the numbers measure how many unbroken lines of filled-in squares there are in any given row or column. For example, a clue of "4 8 3" would mean there are sets of four, eight, and three filled squares, in that order, with at least one blank square between successive groups.

These puzzles are often black and white but can also have some colors. If they are colored, the number clues will also be colored in order to indicate the color of the squares. Two differently colored numbers may or may not have a space in between them. For example, a black four followed by a red two could mean four black spaces, some empty spaces, and two red spaces, or it could simply mean four black spaces followed immediately by two red ones.

There are no theoretical limits on the size of a nonogram, and they are also not restricted to square layouts.

History

In 1987, Non Ishida, a Japanese graphics editor, won a competition in Tokyo by designing grid pictures using skyscraper lights which are turned on or off. At the same time and with no connection, a professional Japanese puzzler named Tetsuya Nishio invented the same puzzles.
Paint by numbers puzzles started appearing in Japanese puzzle magazines. Nintendo picked up on this puzzle fad and in 1995 released two "Picross" (Picture Crossword) titles for the Game Boy and nine for the Super Famicom (eight of which were released in two-month intervals for the Nintendo Power Super Famicom Cartridge Writer as the "NP Picross" series) in Japan. Only one of these, Mario's Picross for the Game Boy, was released outside of Japan.

In 1988, Non Ishida published three picture grid puzzles in Japan under the name of "Window Art Puzzles".

In 1990, James Dalgety in the UK invented the name Nonograms after Non Ishida, and The Sunday Telegraph started publishing them on a weekly basis.

In 1993, First book of Nonograms was published by Non Ishida in Japan. The Sunday Telegraph published a dedicated puzzle book titled the "Book of Nonograms". Nonograms were also published in Sweden, United States, South Africa and other countries.

In 1995, paint by numbers started appearing on hand held electronic toys such as Game Boy and on other plastic puzzle toys. Increased popularity in Japan launched new publishers and by now there were several monthly magazines, some of which contained up to 100 puzzles.
In 1996, the Japanese arcade game Logic Pro was released by Deniam Corp, with a sequel released the following year.

In 1998, The Sunday Telegraph ran a competition to choose a new name for their puzzles. Griddlers was the winning name that readers chose.

In 1999, Paint by numbers were published by Sanoma Uitgevers in Holland, Puzzler Media (formerly British European Associated Publishers) in the UK and Nikui Rosh Puzzles in Israel.

In 2007, Nintendo released another version of Picross, this time for their Nintendo DS console.

Today, magazines with nonogram puzzles are published in the USA, UK, Germany, Netherlands, Italy, Hungary, Finland and many other countries.

FEATURES:

- Include five puzzle size mode: 5x5 Cell, 10x5 Cell, 15x5 Cell, 10x10 Cell, 15x10 Cell
- Include six color mode: Single color, double color, 3-color, 4-color, 5-color, 6-color
- More than 1000 challenging levels.

zhaoqiujiang's comments:

PROMO CODE:
Y6THAYWYEFEW
T9WJWTFP6MR9
HW7LPKAH7KF4
ATWEMWNWN4WX
YENELX9KHRA4
NERXTXALNFA9
YHY9H4PYRJ9N
7RYEY3ALHRM3
H4LTAM37YREP
MFHEJAWF4JRH
W79NLTRJ4MTW
X7YWNENRK4KK
NLL4XEXTETT3
JFPNJWM4TMAM
7P4KNJ6YRP6R
WY6RRRHH6PRM
EY7E673LXEWR
XHE4LF7W79M9
K44J9PLPKMXW
MREE6LNMTFRA

PLEASE LEAVE YOUR REVIEW, THANKS!!!
02-12-2010, 01:36 AM
Are you in any way affiliated with Picma? If not, why is your icon lifted directly from their game?

02-12-2010, 01:46 AM
Used KKRY6NMW3EFH.

Thanks

--------------------

Edit:

While I appreciate the free game, this is missing some very basic Pictogram functionality.

1) It doesn't show you when you have correctly filled in a line.
2) It has puzzles (cf, the first 10x10 puzzle) that have more then one solution.
3) To finish a puzzle, you have to fill in all the squares that are part of the solution, and then you have to fill in all of the blank squares with "X"s.
4) It doesn't save the program state when you exit. It doesn't even save it after you finish the puzzle.
5) Some of the text in the game is impossible to read because of color choices. For example, take a look at image 4 above. The four boxes on the upper-left corner are impossible to read on the device.

On the plus side, the graphics are very nice.

With a bit more work, this could be an excellent game.

Last edited by mlkaufman; 02-12-2010 at 02:03 AM.
02-12-2010, 02:03 AM
used H7L7TETFEYTW, thanks

Playing:|Roboto|Cordy|QuBit|Amazing Breaker|Awesome Saucer|Groove Coaster|Gesundheit!|
Favorites:|PoP:WW|Infinity Blade|World of Goo|Phoenix|Danmaku|PewPew2|Alien Space Retro|Battleheart|Gears| LGR2|iDaTank|PvZ|ME|To-Fu|Anodia|Lego HP|Fruit Ninja|I Dig It 2|Soosiz|
02-12-2010, 06:10 AM
thanks so much for your suggestions!

i will do this changes in future version.
02-12-2010, 09:51 AM
All codes are gone. I'll look forward to reading the 20 reviews.
Gets pretty frustrating competing with the code vultures who snag codes and then never follow up with a review, or even a courtesy post that they took a code so the rest of us don't have to bother with trying to redeem it.

Good luck with Griddler. I am still hoping someone will come out with a Picross game to rival Nintendo's Picross DS.
02-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Apologies - I grabbed 9FR64H6MH7H6 right before leaving for work and forgot to post. After I play a bit I'll get impressions up on the app store.
02-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Any impressions of this game from the people that scored codes? I'm really interesting to hear how good the game is.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
02-12-2010, 11:46 PM
I've been on a Picross diet lately so I picked this up on a whim. Unfortunately, the first puzzle had multiple solutions, which lead me to delete it. The controls aren't ideal, but work fine. Multiple solutions are game breaking, though, so I can't recommend it.

Associate Editor, Slide To Play and Padvance
Follow me on Twitter
Feel free to email me at tim@slidetoplay.com if you want to bring a game or update to our attention.
02-13-2010, 06:54 PM
I really wish the game would tell you when you got something wrong and when you correctly completed the puzzle.