★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How much are you charging for your iPad products?

02-12-2010, 10:46 AM
How much are you charging for your iPad products?

We're working on a big iPad project with a lot of functionality and now we're looking to other developers to see how much you guys will be charging for your pretty new iPad apps...

Apple has already set the bar with their products at $9.99 a pop, and with the current mentality that's a bit high for non-famous developers, so what are the rest of you looking to charge? I figure the apps for the iPad will be better, more in depth and have a lot more to them than a lot of iPhone apps, but how much is too much?
02-15-2010, 09:21 AM
So is it a secret?

02-15-2010, 12:04 PM
If you want people to share their plans, you'll probably have to be the first to show your hand. Why would you expect someone else to if you won't.

In general terms no one has any idea. lol. It's a new market entirely. No one knows how well it will sell, etc. I expect a similar story to that of the iPhone. Everything priced higher than the market wants and then a fast decline in prices soon after. There's also many other factors. Universal apps that will work on both platforms, previous apps competing with their new version, etc.

I'm going to start a similar thread about universal apps versus separate builds.
02-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure Industries View Post
So is it a secret?
The best idea I have heard is to make a universal app, which would need to have the same pricing, and then have in-app purchase of the iPad-specific content which could either be already included in the app (if size is not an issue) or downloaded from a server (to keep the iphone-only app lean).

Regarding pricing, since the iPad install base is going to be 1-5% of the iPhone/touch base for a while, and since few iPhone/touch non-trivial apps can pay for development at a price of less than $3-$5, this implies that iPad apps should be at least 20x$3 or $60 to have the same profitability as a $3 iPhone/touch app. However, with Apple's current download-count-popularity-based top-100 lists, these $60 apps will quickly drop in price to $0.99 and the iPad app store will quickly become a bunch of trivial apps like those we already see on the App Store today.

It's hard for me to believe that the smart folks at Apple haven't already foreseen this, and so I would expect that we will have a different type of App Store to avoid this problem with the iPad store opens. Of course, I could just be engaging in wishful thinking, because the iPhone/touch app store suffers the same problem of non-sustainability and nothing has been done about it yet.

Developer at IMAK Creations, creator of ColorTilt and other lesser known apps, like That Ain't It!
Blog, twitter
02-15-2010, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by M of IMAK View Post
It's hard for me to believe that the smart folks at Apple haven't already foreseen this, and so I would expect that we will have a different type of App Store to avoid this problem with the iPad store opens. Of course, I could just be engaging in wishful thinking, because the iPhone/touch app store suffers the same problem of non-sustainability and nothing has been done about it yet.
Given that the two markets are really the same market, I'd expect the crash-to-the-floor pricing we've already seen continue here. In fact, I don't expect it to get off the floor at all.

My only hope that this changes is that if Apple wants to court serious apps to this new platform, they'll have to fix the price problem first. No serious productivity app that currently sells for $249 or more is going to port to the iPad and sell at $2.99 instead. While I don't have high hopes for this, being able to do actual useful stuff on the iPad that I cannot do on my phone is the thing that would make me (and many others) buy an iPad. As of now, I'd much prefer the netbook/iPhone combo.
02-15-2010, 01:40 PM
I am making an iPad version of Empty City 3D and I plan on charging $1.99.
02-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Price

I am not a Dev myself, but as a consumer a thought I could pitch in. (Feel free to disregard).

To me it depends on the app. Productivity apps I'd be willing to pay 2.5x - 3x the price for an iPad-optimized app. A game, maybe 1.5x.

Also important is differentiating your iPad app from the iPhone version noticably - remember, we can run your iPhone versions directly as well.

Whatever happens, I think the best route is probably having one version, as M of IMAK suggests. This has the benefit of prevents angry consumers from pounding down your door because now they have to re-buy your app. A possible method of implementing this (if it's possible) is to have an in app purchase option to download iPad content. That way you can charge more for the iPad version than the iPhone version.
02-16-2010, 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsullivan View Post
If you want people to share their plans, you'll probably have to be the first to show your hand. Why would you expect someone else to if you won't.
Heh, I was having a discussion with my business partner tonight and I had no solid information to base my pricing ideas around.

We're working on a productivity/utility (I suppose it falls in both) app and I think we're going to shoot for $3.99 or $4.99 - there are a ton of features and it's designed specifically with the iPad in mind. From what I see now, productivity/utility apps are generally a little higher (provided they do something useful)

Of course I'm sure the top spot will go to "Ultimate Flash Light" that turns the iPad into a spotlight or some dumb crap
02-17-2010, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipster216 View Post
My only hope that this changes is that if Apple wants to court serious apps to this new platform, they'll have to fix the price problem first. No serious productivity app that currently sells for $249 or more is going to port to the iPad and sell at $2.99 instead.
I don't see what Apple needs to "fix". There are plenty of premium apps that do well on the app store (OmniFocus, Tomtom, etc…)

I am adamant that Apple has done nothing wrong with pricing on the App store. All they do is allow you to set at any price from 0.99 to 999. If anyone's caused a pricing problem on the app store it's developers themselves — If you want to complain that the App store prices are too low, then stop pricing your apps at $0.99 or $1.99…
02-17-2010, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EssentialParadox View Post
I don't see what Apple needs to "fix". There are plenty of premium apps that do well on the app store (OmniFocus, Tomtom, etc…)

I am adamant that Apple has done nothing wrong with pricing on the App store. All they do is allow you to set at any price from 0.99 to 999. If anyone's caused a pricing problem on the app store it's developers themselves — If you want to complain that the App store prices are too low, then stop pricing your apps at $0.99 or $1.99…
The problem I see with that logic is that people are now in the mindset that apps SHOULD cost $0.99 or even be free. They want developers to spend they time making things for them for free and when they have to pay they sometimes become irate.

Yes, I understand that some apps are so short/blah/crappy they should be free - but a ton of the games out there a person would pay some cash for on any other medium. Some of the very in depth games would be $30 on a Nintendo DS but they practically price themselves out of competition at $4.99. That's what happened.

The iPad is a fresh start but people seem to already be clamoring, "Oh you need to be at $0.99 to be competitive!"