★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

So iPhone games will always (?) be cheap!

02-12-2010, 02:28 PM
#1
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: 37 19′ 54.55″ N, 122 1′ 52.25″ W
Posts: 1,116
So iPhone games will always (?) be cheap!

Have you noticed? No game stays at 10$, (a ridiculous amount compared to consoles), they all drop and eventually end up between 1 and 5 bucks! Rolando 2, Real Racing, SMB 2...etc. Now there is a fair point againt this arguement; they are all "mobile". But then you should be asking yourselves what defines "console", because some simple games scream quality and others have tons of replay value... And they biggest argument for this statement is the fact that even Rockstar games, which already chose to sell GTA:CTW for a third of the others, dropped the price under the magical 10$ line, (only for a short time, but still, the game is just a month old).

Do you agree? Will iPhone gaming change, and when? Or will the price be beat down to 1$, with every game, if you wait?
02-12-2010, 02:29 PM
#2
Unless it's a huge cash-cow name like COD or Halo (which will never happen), eventually all of them drop to around $1-$5.

Playing! MC2: Black Pegasus, Super Mega Worm, Parachute Panic, Fruit Ninja, Sonic 4, Reckless Racing, Samurai II: Vengence
@parkerewan

02-12-2010, 03:09 PM
#3
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tocarina View Post
Have you noticed? No game stays at 10$, (a ridiculous amount compared to consoles), they all drop and eventually end up between 1 and 5 bucks!
I'm not sure I understand your point. When you say "a ridiculous amount compared to consoles," do you mean that $10 for an iPhone game is too much or too little?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bok Choy View Post
Unless it's a huge cash-cow name like COD or Halo (which will never happen), eventually all of them drop to around $1-$5.
Yep, and that's a bad thing for iPhone and iPod Touch owners. I am guessing that as developers grow increasingly frustrated by the cheapskate mindset of current app buyers, they will devote more of their energy to creating quality iPad apps instead. At least that's what I am hoping!
02-12-2010, 03:14 PM
#4
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: FLA, USA
Posts: 2,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by gekkota View Post
I'm not sure I understand your point. When you say "a ridiculous amount compared to consoles," do you mean that $10 for an iPhone game is too much or too little?



Yep, and that's a bad thing for iPhone and iPod Touch owners. I am guessing that as developers grow increasingly frustrated by the cheapskate mindset of current app buyers, they will devote more of their energy to creating quality iPad apps instead. At least that's what I am hoping!
no u are wrong. we are not cheapskates i dont think. its just that there is so much variety in the appstore that if you dont want to buy a game for 5 dollars, you can buy a similar game (or something almost exactly the same) for less money. for example, if you had 2 gas stations across the street from each other, they would compete by lowering their prices... over and over and over. i used to think we were cheap. until i realized it is apple's fault for allowing almost everything through its submission process.
02-12-2010, 03:17 PM
#5
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: the next whiskey bar
Posts: 5,549
this has kind of been happening for a long time..
02-12-2010, 03:18 PM
#6
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: FLA, USA
Posts: 2,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootbean View Post
this has kind of been happening for a long time..
yep. and the same same threads keep appearing.
02-12-2010, 03:56 PM
#7
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tocarina View Post
Have you noticed? No game stays at 10$, (a ridiculous amount compared to consoles), they all drop and eventually end up between 1 and 5 bucks! Rolando 2, Real Racing, SMB 2...etc. Now there is a fair point againt this arguement; they are all "mobile". But then you should be asking yourselves what defines "console", because some simple games scream quality and others have tons of replay value... And they biggest argument for this statement is the fact that even Rockstar games, which already chose to sell GTA:CTW for a third of the others, dropped the price under the magical 10$ line, (only for a short time, but still, the game is just a month old).

Do you agree? Will iPhone gaming change, and when? Or will the price be beat down to 1$, with every game, if you wait?
well, most of the idevice games are cost under $10, but if they do good sale, they still can make a big profit (popular game make 400k in 2 months).
But the game itself is not cheap... almost same as PSP and DS game...
it is because we download it thru the same platform (iTune) where
1) no advertisement required,
2) no package require,
3) no game box printing require,
4) no shipping fee require,
5) no deliver to retail store require,
6) no cashier required,
everything is automatic… so game company saved lot of money already, the game itself just cost $10? I think it is fair.

Last edited by MrDark; 02-12-2010 at 04:00 PM.
02-12-2010, 04:00 PM
#8
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,741
It might be fair if more games did actually cost $10. For every App Store success there are ten struggling dev teams, just about ready to throw in the towel.

  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
02-12-2010, 04:02 PM
#9
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: 37 19′ 54.55″ N, 122 1′ 52.25″ W
Posts: 1,116
I meant it's cheap compared to consoles...
And sorry, I can't use the search function efficiently...
And I think that everyone has a good point, but can you really live from 5$? Even if you sell a lot of copies, (which very few developers of good games do)...
02-12-2010, 06:00 PM
#10
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Right. Behind. You.
Posts: 769
I think that games will just get more expensive, to the point where 99 cents of today's App money is equal to 5 dollars of future App money.