★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

60 Mario and Friends

02-12-2010, 04:43 PM
60 Mario and Friends

Why and how can this app be #2 and the free version is on top as well?
I don't want to insult App Store customers, but come on!?
The reviews are less than 2 stars so it should be obvious something is wrong with it. Almost every review informs people that it is NOT a game and they are just sounds.
Is there something more going on?
Perhaps the company is paying some marketing company to buy it's way into the Top 10?
02-12-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm suprised it hasn't been removed from sale due to a complaint from Nintendo.

Sometimes apps just catch on though and once it's on the top then it has the power of visiblity from being in the top 25, when purchasing from the device the reviews are not very prominent so I think it's easy to see how people don't really even look at reviews. All they see is a cheap app on top of the charts that has something to do with Mario so they buy it.

02-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Yeah I think it's pretty obvious people are being fooled into thinking it's an actual game. Even those smart enough to know it's not official probably think they can get some sort of Mario clone out of it. To be honest that icon alone is likely to draw the kids in by the thousands.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
02-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Is it legal thought?
I've seen several "Mario" apps and some of them have been over a year old and have yet to be taken down.
Why hasn't Nintendo gone after them?
02-12-2010, 05:28 PM
It's definitely not legal. Nintendo is foolishly ignoring the App Store instead of dedicating even one man to daily policing for their IP. Anyone who wants to give them a nudge is perfectly welcome to do so at noalegal@noa.nintendo.com

--- ChronoSoft ---
Support your roguelikes! Play Rogue Touch today!
Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- Work in progress! Follow us on Twitter!
02-13-2010, 08:40 PM
I am very surprise too with this App. I follow this App from a few days ago, and i can't believe that people don't read that are only sounds. In spite of bad reviews and complains for customers this App continues being 2 on AppStore.
Amazing...

Maybe we must work on a '60 sonic and friends' App? LOL
02-13-2010, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderData View Post
It's definitely not legal. Nintendo is foolishly ignoring the App Store instead of dedicating even one man to daily policing for their IP. Anyone who wants to give them a nudge is perfectly welcome to do so at noalegal@noa.nintendo.com
Good idea. Profiting off someone else's work is lame, especially with the kind of half-assed bullshit some people are trying to pass off as apps.

It's not the first time this has happened on the app store either. Seeing that "Super Mario Jump" app the other day (blatant papijump ripoff, being sold for $2) actually annoyed me enough to make me email Nintendo about it, and the app was gone less than a week later.

I suppose they could argue it's not costing them any sales, but it's still being done blatantly in bad faith (and probably tricking 90% of the morons who download it into thinking it's from Nintendo). These are lazy profiteers doing whatever they can to make a quick buck without doing any work themselves, and that's exactly why we have copyright laws.
02-13-2010, 09:30 PM
I think if they are not directly affecting your sales, you should let nintendo and apple worry about dealing with them.

Water Your Body (ON SALE $0.99)
http://apps.google.com/#1iPhoneApp
Tic Tac Pro (FREE)
New and Noteworthy!
02-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravetarget View Post
I think if they are not directly affecting your sales, you should let nintendo and apple worry about dealing with them.
No, they're not affecting our sales. Well, aside from taking up a valuable slot in the top 20 and top 100 lists that could be occupied by a more worthwhile app...

Besides, is there anything wrong with being annoyed by the fact that a blatant scam is at #2 on the app store?
02-13-2010, 09:54 PM
I facepalmed at it too, but it didn't once cross my mind to narc him to nintendo, or even apple. This would accomplish nothing in my favor.

Water Your Body (ON SALE $0.99)
http://apps.google.com/#1iPhoneApp
Tic Tac Pro (FREE)
New and Noteworthy!