★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Dot8 Studio
  • Genre: Sports
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 8.4 MB
  • Version: 1.4
  • Price: $1.99
  • Average User Rating: 4.5 (2)
App description: Ski Sport Pro The new professional skiing game for iPhone an iPod touch.

Enjoy skiing on hand drawn slopes in either Downhill, Slalom, Challenge or Championship.
Good enough to achieve a bronze medal? Then try your skill at getting silver and gold.
Winning will qualify you for the next slope.

Downhill, Slalom, Challenge* and Championship*
Compete for Bronze, Silver* and Gold*
Tilt or Touch controls
Ice and Debris will challenge your skills
Listen to music on your iPod while playing
(* = must be unlocked)

Free Updates
Buy Ski Sport Pro now and receive free updates like new slopes, new disciplines and other enhancements. Write us and let us know what you are looking forward to see next.
www.dot8studio.com

Next to the intuitive tilt control the game offers an easy to use touch control as an alternative.

Set new records!
The hunt for the next best time is on. Challenge your friends and family and see how is fastest.

Ski Sport Pro: The new skiing game for snow and all action fans.

Xood's comments:
I am the developer of Ski Sport Pro and I am happy to finally present my first iPhone / iPod touch game to the community!
Looking forward to read your comments. Enjoy the snow!

Youtube link | Pop Up
02-12-2010, 06:35 PM
That looks so cool (pardon the pun). Adding this to my list of games to try/buy in the near future.

02-12-2010, 07:33 PM
It does look good, will be adding this to my wish list.
02-12-2010, 08:32 PM
After doing the same for Hyper Sports Winter, who better than me to TOFTT? Downloading...
02-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Game Impressions

Sometimes a game revels in its simplicity and is all the better for it.

With the recent game I reviewed, Hyper Sports Winter by Konami, we had a bunch of different sports, options to change uniform colours etc. Here, we have just 3 modes, all utilising the same courses. But at half the price, it's the one I'd pick up on a regular basis.

Downhill Skiing is just that. Pure skiing, down courses of various layouts. The first is a simple one with some tree-lined and quite stretches. Areas of blue ice if you go right at the first fork, left at the second and hug left for the final stretch speed you up. The second is a bit windier, the third introduces large areas of rock while the final (for now) course has trees littering the course as well as a large area of blue ice for the last section. So, you're free to pick your own route.

The tilt controls are intuitive, feeling extremely easy to use. Not too sensitive but it might take you a couple of tries to clear the first run because it can be a little unwieldy. The virtual stick is nowhere near as polished though IMHO but no doubt should be workable with practice. I recommend the first option though.

Slalom Skiing mode has flags you have to pass through. Any you miss gives a time penalty. Challenge Mode has parcels you need to collect. As you pick them up, that one is highlighted in a line of the interface so you can see how many you're missing.

Graphics are nicer than HSW too. Snow flurries, nice textures like gleaming ice, snow trails etc all look quite polished. Less polished are the icon, results/level selection screens and other elements of the UI though that's easy to address in a patch and by no means a big deal with a game that's so much fun.

So all in all, you can thaw out from Hyper Sports Winter with this game.

With free updates promised with new courses, enhancements & modes, this game is brilliant value for 99 cents ($1.15 in the App Store) between now and the end of the Vancouver Games. It will then be three times the price. That said, if you're reading this when the intro price has ended, it is still worth that price given DLC won't cost extra and that it's an extremely polished game with pick-up-and-play appeal yet something you could play longer without batting an eyelid.

4/5 | What's cooler than being cool? SKI SPORT PRO. While Hyper Sports Winter left you a little cold because of some elements being a letdown, this one leaves you feeling cool in a good way. Go pick it up, powder hounds & ski bunnies!

Last edited by TouchChatterbox; 02-12-2010 at 09:26 PM.
02-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Thank you for TOFTTing this and the Konami offering. From the screenshots, this one looks like it offers a distant 3/4 perspective. Is this how it plays? The video is still not viewable by iPhone.
02-13-2010, 02:39 AM
Indeed. And it works very well.

It's funny actually, the game got me into the Winter Olympics mood & I was so into playing it... then I realised the opening ceremony was on & I was missing it. So I went and watched that instead

My marketing quote for the developers, then: "So Good You'll Forget The Winter Olympics Are On!' :P

Last edited by TouchChatterbox; 02-13-2010 at 02:45 AM.
02-13-2010, 05:14 AM
Nice game and it really works well - tilt and fingerslide control. More content comes hopefully soon - longer courses, competitions, etc. etc.
02-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Thank you for the nice feedback everyone.

@TouchChatterbox, I really like your review and I share your view on the good and bad things. Just my personal favorite controls are the touch controls. In which way would you think they need to be improved on?

An update with more slopes will come soon (before the Olympics are over).
The length of the track is a bit technically limited due to using hand drawn track which are huge images. For the future we can quite possibly add larger tracks (maybe Freestyle mode) which uses a tiling system instead.
Or if the community has wishes we sure would love to add some of them. :-)

@roman169, what kind of a competition mode would you love to see?
Racing against another AI? Competing in a global highscore system? Two player Bluetooth match?
02-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to swishinj
sounds cool!

You won't find me on the leaderboards.