★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Mobile version of site/forums?

02-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Mobile version of site/forums?

This may have been addressed before but why is there no snappy mobile version of the site... particularly the forums? Obviously it works great on Safari but forum usage could really speed up! Is there not a mobile version of the forum software used? I know many sites offer a mobile version of forums.

I love this site. Since I picked up my iPod Touch I spend lots of time browsing around and all that jazz. Keep up the good work.
02-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Send a message via AIM to RttaM Send a message via Yahoo to RttaM
I don't think vBulletin (the software which these forums run on, have a mobile version) - I did find a search although I'd prefer an Admin test this out - http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=208412

02-13-2010, 08:01 PM
I think there is a mobile version of the main site, it's just kinda rough which is why no one seems to know the URL... the mods could probably dig it up.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
02-13-2010, 08:26 PM
Simply because it's great as is.

You know: the iPhone has a full web browser, no crappy mobile websites.

Twitter Tumblr

Game Center ID: mvanbeem
02-13-2010, 08:27 PM
I have owned quite a few larger forums, although I have now sold them off.

On one of them though I did install a mod from vb.org that would create a mobile version. It actually worked great and was very quick. We needed this because we had a shoutbox on the forum. With the shoutbox it was really slow through mobile devices. I have to say I did love that mod if the mods here are really looking into something like this then all they have to do is search the vb site.

Although with my IPhone I personally like using the whole site as is.

02-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMario View Post
Simply because it's great as is.

You know: the iPhone has a full web browser, no crappy mobile websites.
Pfft. :P I said "obviously it works great on Safari." I fully acknowledge it works fabulously on the iPhone/iPod.

I just prefer things to be as efficient and speedy as possible. Obviously a mobile version will suit some people and some situations better than others. And I won't have to use my fingers zooming in and out and all around as much!
02-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyAndroid View Post
Pfft. :P I said "obviously it works great on Safari." I fully acknowledge it works fabulously on the iPhone/iPod.

I just prefer things to be as efficient and speedy as possible. Obviously a mobile version will suit some people and some situations better than others. And I won't have to use my fingers zooming in and out and all around as much!
I understand.

To make it great for us both: make a mobile version available with a button to switch to normal.

Twitter Tumblr

Game Center ID: mvanbeem
02-13-2010, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
I think there is a mobile version of the main site, it's just kinda rough which is why no one seems to know the URL... the mods could probably dig it up.
A while back, people were suggesting to view TouchArcade's RSS Feed as a mobile-esque version of the website; are you referring to that?

/l、
(゚、
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ Inconspicuous Group Cat?
02-13-2010, 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
It was http://toucharcade.com/m/ as you can see by the title
it was taken down though I think

Touch Arcaders Against Piracy


02-14-2010, 01:57 AM
I actually do follow TA in my mobile google reader. I actually don't need a mobile site... just the forums!