★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

THQ Lays off 100, Focuses on Smart Phone Games only

01-31-2009, 04:48 AM
Administrator [Original Poster]
THQ Lays off 100, Focuses on Smart Phone Games only

http://venturebeat.com/2009/01/30/th...t-phones-only/

Quote:
As part of our goal of aligning our business to focus on our most competitive product categories, we have decided to streamline our THQ Wireless operations to focus only on games for high-end handheld devices. Given today’s market environment, we believe our focus on the high-end handheld market is critical to strengthening our market position and achieving profitability.

As a result, we will be downsizing our wireless group and will be closing our San Diego, UK and Germany wireless offices. Approximately 100 employees will be affected. Our Universomo studio will continue to be the center of our wireless development business. Universomo has been recognized for product quality and we look forward to continuing to develop and publish quality games for devices such as the Apple iPhone.
arn
01-31-2009, 05:04 AM
I don't blame them... Why waste time making shitty cell phone games that are shitty?

01-31-2009, 05:08 AM
I tip my hat to the guys at Universomo. Their talent and professionalism has always been top-notch.

It's sad that they closed down the other studios of course, I'm sure the teams would have excelled at iPhone & N-Gage development if given the chance.
01-31-2009, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeersoup View Post
I don't blame them... Why waste time making shitty cell phone games that are shitty?
But they're still going to continue to make shitty cell phone games that are shitty they're just not going to make console games
01-31-2009, 11:06 AM
THQ has announced six titles already for the iPhone. I don't see this effecting touch platform users at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Touch Arcade Developer's Group Coordinator
Follow me on Twitter

Guidelines To Offering & Receiving Services
01-31-2009, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITrocks View Post
But they're still going to continue to make shitty cell phone games that are shitty they're just not going to make console games
they said that they were laying off 100 developers from the WIRELESS divison of THQ
01-31-2009, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandog View Post
THQ has announced six titles already for the iPhone. I don't see this effecting touch platform users at all.
What titles? anything that sounds good?

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." ~ Albert Einstein
01-31-2009, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
What titles? anything that sounds good?
IGN Trailer

--------------------------------------------------------------
Touch Arcade Developer's Group Coordinator
Follow me on Twitter

Guidelines To Offering & Receiving Services
01-31-2009, 03:14 PM
THQ has never really been a top notch developer for me. They have always been one of those shovelware, grab the latest popular franchise companies. It will be interesting to see if they come out with something truly unique and fun for the device, so I look forward to at least seeing what they have to offer.
01-31-2009, 03:30 PM
Well, there's still plenty of smaller cellphone developers doing "other" mobile games. Plus one or more new studios tend to open up every time a developer closes down. They've just decided not to spend their own time on the other platforms, but that doesn't mean they wont be farming the J2ME or Brew work out.

| Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment | Mike @ Twitter |

Smiles HD for Mac and iPad | Smiles for iPhone/iPod touch (Twitter, Website)
IGF Mobile "Best Game" Finalist | Intel "Elegance in Design" Winner