★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Business cards in your pocket! Good Advice!

02-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Business cards in your pocket! Good Advice!

I don't leave home without business cards that have my apps printed on them. If I see someone with an iPhone or iPod Touch they are getting a card!
No shame! Sometimes in crowded areas you can hand out 30 cards in a few minutes. Remember people love to flash their hardware, so it is dead easy to spot them!

Standard Line....

"Here is a list of my games that you can download."

Standard response.......

'' Yeh right, you make apps for the iPhone?" 90 % of "victims" for some odd reason don't believe the games are real or that it is impossible for someone to make apps for iTunes. Oddly enough this is the main response I get.
02-15-2010, 02:41 PM
Cool!

Very interesting "standard response"
Any Idea why??

It is a very interesting idea for developers. I personally see at least 5 iDevices daily, normally around 10

02-15-2010, 02:50 PM
Whenever I mention to someone that I am an iPhone developer I get a very underwhelming response.
02-15-2010, 04:02 PM
I think the concept on the street is....

only big companies make apps.

and

all apps make tonnes of money.

I think this mentality is nurtured by the fact that the majority of people only view the top 25 lists on their devices nothing else.
02-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicated Puzzles View Post
I think the concept on the street is....

only big companies make apps.

and

all apps make tonnes of money.

I think this mentality is nurtured by the fact that the majority of people only view the top 25 lists on their devices nothing else.
I'd agree with your assessment. People are usually confused about how I could make an iPhone app. The usual response I get is 'wait, what? You can do that? How?'

While handing out a business card might not get you a bajillion downloads, the exposure certainly won't hurt. This depend on the type of game and who you are targeting, though.

i am in my final quarters at the local Community College, and it is extremely easy to approach people there. Flickitty is fairly easy to talk about and gather interest, which is an important factor. I also have extremely long dreadlocks, so it is normal for people to approach me anyway. I am highly recognized (for better or worse).

A really good place to get cards is http://moo.com . I would suggest taking advantage of their mini-card sale, 100 for $17.98 . Mini-cards are pretty dang cool, and you can upload up to 100 different images. Certainly there are cheaper ways to go, but the moo.com cards are really nice and double-sided (image on front, info on back).

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone

Last edited by Flickitty; 02-15-2010 at 07:34 PM.
02-16-2010, 02:03 AM
I hand out business cards when I am in a public setting and I have extra time. Like you guys said, people are quite surprised that I make games, they always have to look my games up on the spot Nothing beats "door to door" style marketing!
02-16-2010, 02:28 AM
This is also I great way for guys that still live in their mom's basement to meet chicks. Spot a chick with the right hardware and the business card gives you something to break the ice with!
02-16-2010, 02:33 AM
That's a great idea! Now I'll have something constructive to do when my fiancee drags me to the mall
02-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Heh - been doing this for a few months now.

The standard response is 'cool - you make them yourself?'

To which I reply 'Yes'.

The next question is - 'Anything I'd have heard of?'

To which I reply 'No'.

It is fun to do, and you meet some interesting people!
02-17-2010, 07:55 PM
@quantumsheep

At least you're being modest.
Might be better to sort of head off the question with a line like "these are some of my games, you might not have heard of them, but they're pretty good" and possibly, "if you like it maybe you could spread the word, or post an app store review". Then make yourself scarce so they don't feel your trying to pressure them into buying an app of yours