★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Will iDevices ever be the portable devices of choice for hardcore gamers?

02-14-2010, 11:26 PM
Will iDevices ever be the portable devices of choice for hardcore gamers?

The whole discussion about console gaming vs. iPhone gaming in another thread lead me to think about this topic due to the DS/PSP comparisons in there.

My main question is if anyone thinks the iDevices (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad) will eventually become the portable game devices of choice for hardcore gamers. The iPhone has the market cornered on casual portable gaming. I can't tell you how many hours I've put into Flight Control or Bejeweled 2 since I started playing iPhone games a couple months ago, but it does seem to be somewhat lacking in full high quality games for hardcore gamers. Sure there are a number of higher quality good games on the platform like Inotia 2, the Gameloft shooters, and other various titles, but head to head against the top DS/PSP games and the iPhone titles seem to pale in comparion.

The one game that really made me think there could be a future where iPhone titles meet the quality of the other portable devices is GTA:CTW. This game is very close if not identical in quality to the PSP/DS versions and has proven that portable console quality games can be made. Do you think we'll see a greater amount of these in the future? Are we going to see RPG's, shooters, and other hardcore games of the quality found on the PSP and DS?

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Currently Playing: Plants vs. Zombies, The War of Eustrath, Zenonia 1, Phoenix Wright, The Quest
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/txag2005
Win ANY APP in Headcase Games' Daily 180 Twitter contest!
02-14-2010, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by txag2005 View Post
The whole discussion about console gaming vs. iPhone gaming in another thread lead me to think about this topic due to the DS/PSP comparisons in there.

My main question is if anyone thinks the iDevices (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad) will eventually become the portable game devices of choice for hardcore gamers. The iPhone has the market cornered on casual portable gaming. I can't tell you how many hours I've put into Flight Control or Bejeweled 2 since I started playing iPhone games a couple months ago, but it does seem to be somewhat lacking in full high quality games for hardcore gamers. Sure there are a number of higher quality good games on the platform like Inotia 2, the Gameloft shooters, and other various titles, but head to head against the top DS/PSP games and the iPhone titles seem to pale in comparion.

The one game that really made me think there could be a future where iPhone titles meet the quality of the other portable devices is GTA:CTW. This game is very close if not identical in quality to the PSP/DS versions and has proven that portable console quality games can be made. Do you think we'll see a greater amount of these in the future? Are we going to see RPG's, shooters, and other hardcore games of the quality found on the PSP and DS?

What are everyone's thoughts on this?
Battery=Fail. That basically cuts out a lot of potential gamers for now.

02-14-2010, 11:29 PM
No matter how hard you try to convince yourself, the answer is no. iDevices will never be the main source for hardcore gaming. Never, ever.

Now Playing Broken Sword
02-14-2010, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega-F View Post
No matter how hard you try to convince yourself, the answer is no. iDevices will never be the main source for hardcore gaming. Never, ever.
I'm not trying to convince myself. In fact I don't think that will ever be the case, but I'm curious what others think. All I was saying is that GTA definitely shows that top quality portable games can be done on the platform.

Currently Playing: Plants vs. Zombies, The War of Eustrath, Zenonia 1, Phoenix Wright, The Quest
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/txag2005
Win ANY APP in Headcase Games' Daily 180 Twitter contest!
02-14-2010, 11:32 PM
As much as I would like the answer to be yes, it simply will never be

Gamecenter: Will090
02-14-2010, 11:34 PM
Nah. It's a media player that happens to play games, not a console that happens to play media.
02-14-2010, 11:40 PM
everyone is saying that no it will never be but since i got my itouch i haven't played my psp at all, sure the games arent as higher quality but the cheap prices and ease of getting the apps mean that although the games dont last for as long as their psp/ds counterparts that will be compensated by the fact that you end up buying/playing more games overall.

Some game genres also work much better on the itouch, FPS for example. The psp FPS's dont come close for controls, and they wont until the psp comes out with a secound analogue stick or some other enhancement that allows FPS's to work.

So for me it already is
02-14-2010, 11:42 PM
Why would any of you be saying absolutely not? Epic Games recently ported the unreal engine 3 to the ipod touch 3g for leasing, they obviously see potential in this system. This engine has been used for many of the best console games out there including bioshock and gears of war. Why do you think they chose to port it to the ipod touch instead of the psp? Also, why do you think Activision chose not to make any call of duty games for psp but instead chose to make them for the ipod touch? What is going through your minds when you see this happening? Not only that but the appstore solves many problems for these developers such as distribution, making hard copies of the game, and much more. The psp and ds have already fallen behind, how have you not noticed this? Activision recently announced that they have sold over 11 million copies of CoD Zombies, that's more than any psp game has sold, just for comparison, Monster Hunter for psp only sold 3.5 million. Open you eyes people!

Gameloft ID: VoN_Athlos Plus+ ID: Twizzy420 Warfare Inc ID: Athlos

Last edited by Athlos; 02-14-2010 at 11:45 PM.
02-14-2010, 11:53 PM
As the technology of mobile devices continues to grow, it will replace dedicated handhelds. I'd give it 5-10 years MAX before a handheld device that only plays games will seem archaic. Weather or not Apple and the App Store's economic model will remain the leader is another question.

I sure hope they do something to make developing AAA titles for the iphone more worth it for the developers, because it bugs me to no end that the technology is there, but the support from all the big devs isnt.
02-15-2010, 12:00 AM
It depends. Piracy scares alot of big name companies away esspecially at how easy it is for iphoners. But if apple stops this, then it could be. Assuming apple won't make the iGame.

The Life Blog
Minecraft