★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Street Fighter IV- Will it Work on iDevice?

02-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Street Fighter IV- Will it Work on iDevice?

What are your guys' opinions?

http://wireless.ign.com/articles/106/1069286p1.html

After playing Blades of Fury, I just have trouble seeing a fighting game working on the iDevice.

I'm hoping I'll be proven wrong though, as I would love to see this be a good game.

Also, with SFIV, a major console game coming to the iDevice, will more follow?
02-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlyrefinedpirate View Post
What are your guys' opinions?

http://wireless.ign.com/articles/106/1069286p1.html

After playing Blades of Fury, I just have trouble seeing a fighting game working on the iDevice.

I'm hoping I'll be proven wrong though, as I would love to see this be a good game.

Also, with SFIV, a major console game coming to the iDevice, will more follow?
I had no problems with Blades of Fury (and, in fact, it's one of my favorite action games on the platform), so, yeah, i'm sure it can work. Will it have the all the complexity of moves of the console version? Probably not. Would it still be fun? Hell, yeah.

02-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
I had no problems with Blades of Fury (and, in fact, it's one of my favorite action games on the platform), so, yeah, i'm sure it can work. Will it have the all the complexity of moves of the console version? Probably not. Would it still be fun? Hell, yeah.
I agree with pretty much everything you just said in that post. And I see absolutely no reason for this not working. It's going to be better actually, on the go and much cheaper. I'd prefer to pay upwards of $10 to have it pretty much wherever I go over paying $40 for some slightly better controls and graphics, but sacrificing portablility and convenience.
02-15-2010, 12:25 PM
On the issue of complex moves like Guile's Super or even a Shoryuken, i do think making something like a lenient drawrace-style pre-programmed shape could deal with the moves. The game would have to be slowed down, though.
02-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
hm maybe I'm in the minority then, idk I
downloaded Blades of Fury and just couldn't really get into it.

although perhaps I'm being unfair in comparing Gameloft to Capcom.

and no, I'm not a Gameloft hater, I enjoy many of their games, but Capcom is a top tier developer and I'm excited to see what they do with this.
02-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Quote:

and no, I'm not a Gameloft hater, I enjoy many of their games, but Capcom is a top tier developer and I'm excited to see what they do with this.
I think the reaction to Blade of Fury around here can best be called mixed-to-positive -- I'm sure you're not the only one who had a problem with it. The real question is how seriously is Capcom taking the challenge of making a game like this work on the iDevice. From the IGN article, it seems like they have the right attitude, so I'm feeling positive about it.

Time will tell, of course.
02-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Yes it will work...

The question is will it be any fun without a controller?...

Gamecenter:1337brian
02-15-2010, 12:45 PM
Quote:

Yeah, I think that Blades of Fury, while a fun game, was more or less a place holder until a REAL fighter came out. I really liked the game, but it just didn't work as well as most fighters I've played, and I've played A LOT.

As for controls, this is Capcom we're talking about, not the people who made Spartacus (which, admittedly, is a fun game). Those controls were just... they didn't work for a fighter game. Capcom games, on the other hand, control great. I've never had a problem in either Resident Evil game or any of their other games. I think this is going to control fine.
02-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Im sure it'll work. But I wont like it as much. The Joy of SF is button mashing.

Also blades of fury isn't THAT bad. It's just the characters and voice acting are laughable.

Beta: project 72, surf prodigy, ionage, cat trap, Heavy gunner

App Blog!
http://iptapp.wordpress.com/
02-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Oh my, a Street Fighter with four inputs (I'm not going to say buttons as that would be an insult to actual buttons). That's not going to turn out pretty.

If a fighting game is going to turn out well on a devce with no buttons, then in an ideal situation...

1) Have a brand new IP because unless you fully deliver the base mechanics of an established IP then what is the point in porting it besides taking advantage of the IP to make money. Then again, to companies (especially Capcoms vast milking practices) that is mostly the only point in doing stuff like this

2) Devise mechanics and a control scheme especially around that device

I will never understand the taking of games that were built line-by-line around a specific controller to devices that cannot ever do it justice. I shudder to think if something like this were to occur with Monster Hunter. Capcom can't stoop that low, surely...