★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Does anyone find Payback kinda... well... not fun?

01-31-2009, 05:06 PM
#1
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 15
Does anyone find Payback kinda... well... not fun?

I can't help but feel like I wasted 6 dollars on this game. Sure it's a cool proof of concept. It's awesome to see that an iphone game can combine driving, shooting, and "sandbox" game elements into one game, but none of them are very interesting at all. The driving controls are good, but the car physics are awful... what's the point of driving around like a maniac when the crashes are completely pointless? The shooting controls well, but it just isn't fun, and I have yet to be able to get in a good cop chase....
01-31-2009, 05:08 PM
#2
yea same, it gets really boring cause the same things happen all the time, and its not fun to do rampage because you die so easily in the game, it just isn't a good game

01-31-2009, 05:08 PM
#3
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by fringuss View Post
I can't help but feel like I wasted 6 dollars on this game. Sure it's a cool proof of concept. It's awesome to see that an iphone game can combine driving, shooting, and "sandbox" game elements into one game, but none of them are very interesting at all. The driving controls are good, but the car physics are awful... what's the point of driving around like a maniac when the crashes are completely pointless? The shooting controls well, but it just isn't fun, and I have yet to be able to get in a good cop chase....
not everyone likes the same games, I'm sorry you wasted 7 bucks ( sorry to break it to you but it costs 6.99)

Check out Randomness is green
some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
in a parallel universe, 100 billion years ago
01-31-2009, 05:11 PM
#4
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 463
Yeah, maybe you'll like Car Jack Streets more. Or maybe you don't like this genre of games.

What's weird for me is that I hate the first two (well technically 4 GTA games if you count the London expansions) GTA games, because they were top-down. But I loved all the ones after that. That's the only reason I'm hesitant to pick up this game.

First game in progress...
01-31-2009, 05:13 PM
#5
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 15
part of what makes the GTA games so great (and this is essentially nothing more than a stripped down GTA clone) is that the cities feel full of life and have a sort of pace and momentum. THis game feels like a bunch of square buildings that happen to have a few cars and people around them... it just doesn't really do any one thing well.
01-31-2009, 05:15 PM
#6
I live for gta games, even the first and second were enjoyable. Its just that payback has something about it that kills gta for me
01-31-2009, 05:15 PM
#7
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 15
I was a huge GTA 1 and 2 fan BTW...

they were goofy, fun, and fast paced... whats the point of stripping a game like this down just to prove that you can do it on the iphone? I feel like developers should be focusing on the games that we know WORK on this medium of play. It seems that the touch screen is an ideal interface for strategy, puzzle, and many other game types. It would be great to see the amount of effort and craftsmanship put into payback put towards making a game that we know will be great.
01-31-2009, 05:18 PM
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fringuss View Post
I was a huge GTA 1 and 2 fan BTW...

they were goofy, fun, and fast paced... whats the point of stripping a game like this down just to prove that you can do it on the iphone? I feel like developers should be focusing on the games that we know WORK on this medium of play. It seems that the touch screen is an ideal interface for strategy, puzzle, and many other game types. It would be great to see the amount of effort and craftsmanship put into payback put towards making a game that we know will be great.
i agree that payback doesnt work the way it is, but any form of game can be put on the iPhone, its just that many, many, many (85%) of developers dont make the touch screen work for their games
01-31-2009, 05:20 PM
#9
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 15
if you really think about it though, why would you want to play a GTA clone on a touch screen?

it doesn't really make sense! controls need to be precise for a game that should be fast paced.
01-31-2009, 05:20 PM
#10
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: little town of bethlehem
Posts: 431
Send a message via AIM to s0mah Send a message via Yahoo to s0mah
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo19 View Post
not everyone likes the same games, I'm sorry you wasted 7 bucks ( sorry to break it to you but it costs 6.99)
I'm kinda curious to know if most Payback fans have ever played the GTA PSP games?

Or really, any relevant sandbox style game produced in the last five years for any system?

twitter @ here
teh myspace @ &here