★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Phase 10 - updated card game, anyone here try?

01-31-2009, 06:41 PM
Phase 10 - updated card game, anyone here try?

Anyone try this game? Seems like it's similar to Yahtzee and motion-X poker type of games.

http://appshopper.com/games/phase-10

Favorites: Siralim | Cavern | Dungeonism | Avadon | Solomon's Keep | Endless Depths | Tallowmere
Now Playing: Dungeons of Chaos UNITY EDITION | Siralim 2
02-01-2009, 12:46 AM
Phase 10 is definately one of my favorite games, so I was really excited when it was released for the iphone. I have to say that the devs did a really good job porting this game to the iphone (but it would definately be better if there was a wifi multiplayer option).

Personally, I don't think Phase 10 is anything like Yahtzee (which I also love), its more similar to UNO. Basically, with each "Phase" you have a certain combo of cards you need to get (such as 2 sets of 3). Each round ends when someone gets rid of all of their cards. Its a competitive game because you are trying to lay your cards out before another player gets rid of all of theirs. If the round ends before you lay down your cards, you have to repeat that same phase. The first person to complete all 10 phases wins the game

02-01-2009, 01:15 AM
I have played the card game and liked it. I saw this when it first came out and was curious about it. Wonder if it is any good.
02-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jecebn View Post
Phase 10 is definately one of my favorite games, so I was really excited when it was released for the iphone. I have to say that the devs did a really good job porting this game to the iphone (but it would definately be better if there was a wifi multiplayer option).

Personally, I don't think Phase 10 is anything like Yahtzee (which I also love), its more similar to UNO. Basically, with each "Phase" you have a certain combo of cards you need to get (such as 2 sets of 3). Each round ends when someone gets rid of all of their cards. Its a competitive game because you are trying to lay your cards out before another player gets rid of all of theirs. If the round ends before you lay down your cards, you have to repeat that same phase. The first person to complete all 10 phases wins the game
Thanks for your explanation! Decided to pick it up, will post here with impressions later.

Favorites: Siralim | Cavern | Dungeonism | Avadon | Solomon's Keep | Endless Depths | Tallowmere
02-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorlen View Post
Thanks for your explanation! Decided to pick it up, will post here with impressions later.
This card game has been around for quite some time. I used to playit and it was fun.if I remember correctly you would often end-up at holding 20-30 cards at a time!

Another good card game I'd like to see on the appstiore is ROOK.
02-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_952000 View Post
This card game has been around for quite some time. I used to playit and it was fun.if I remember correctly you would often end-up at holding 20-30 cards at a time!

Another good card game I'd like to see on the appstiore is ROOK.
Sorry, your memory is playing tricks on you, you play and discard every hand so 10/11 cards are all you will ever have. :P

Game would be awesome with wifi multiplayer... but I've been playing this game a LOT so definitely would recommend it. Computer players seem a little weak though, they will discard playable cards - even when you are only 1 card from going out. Dah!
02-01-2009, 11:03 AM
The game is great, very nice polish, nice graphics and everything, music / sound. Only thing is, I thought I had read that you can play it multiplayer on the same device, but it doesn't seem the case. Either way, it's still a really fun card game that's easy to pick up.

02-08-2009, 11:55 AM
I've never heard of phase 10 until the other day as I was about to purchase the UNO app but phase 10 sounded interesting since I like playing rummy so after reading more about it I decided to pick up the app this morning and was definitely glad I did. Its a fun, fast paced game. I just gotta learn it now. Totally worth the price if your into card games.
02-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Just bought it after reading this tread. I liked the card game and think the port plays well too. Great game to kill a little time.
02-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Any phase 10 experts wanna give me some advice? Here is what I dont quite get. On phase 1, the object is to have 2 pairs of 3 right? So say I make a trio of 2's and a trio of 5's but in my hand, I have 3 of another card ( say three 7's ). That doesnt matter right? I basically have to work off of the 2 sets I layed down?

Also, how do I change my player. Trip looks like a cool dude and all but I rather be someone else. When I click on the computer controlled people they change but when I click on Trip, nothing happens. Thanks for the tips!