★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Is it possible to IP ban in VBulletin?

02-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Send a message via AIM to Skate Send a message via MSN to Skate Send a message via Yahoo to Skate Send a message via Skype™ to Skate
Is it possible to IP ban in VBulletin?

If you could, that would solve a heap of problems like the zutons and such. I've heard you can't, but I'm not willing to shell out money to test it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skate
Your mom.
02-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Send a message via AIM to KGameLover1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skate View Post
If you could, that would solve a heap of problems like the zutons and such. I've heard you can't, but I'm not willing to shell out money to test it.
They should be able to.

02-16-2010, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Yes it is. And it is very easy as well. If you need any help let me know. I have owned many popular vB boards. I actually still have an extra license as well.

02-16-2010, 02:16 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Send a message via AIM to Skate Send a message via MSN to Skate Send a message via Yahoo to Skate Send a message via Skype™ to Skate
The reason I ask is because I read this on my Invisionfree forum:
Quote:
There is one thing I consider invisionfree to be better than vbulletin for. Banning users. On vbulletin you cannot ban users' ip addresses, thus enabling them to continue making new accounts. Whereas on invisionfree you can prevent this problem by banning their ip address. So everyday on ------' forum I am banning users for advertising, usually around 3-5 every day. It does help though that -removed-.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skate
Your mom.

Last edited by Skate; 02-18-2010 at 04:06 PM. Reason: request
02-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Yes, you can still IP Ban. I have also has IPB. The most recent forum I sold had it. And all forums I have had I created from the ground up and eventually sold them off. I much prefer vbulletin over IPB. vb.org is so huge and has so many different users creating mods for vbulletin that IPB cannot compare in that aspect.

Really as far as a forum goes they are pretty much the same. I feel vb has a larger mod base, but on the other hand I like the looks of the IPB skins better. So its give and take.

02-16-2010, 02:21 PM
well hardcoregamer has had an IP ban so yeah, you can have a vbulletin IP ban. not that it stopped him from using a proxy.

Beta tester of 54 games
Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Thats a nice lookin gun.
02-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Quote:
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...348-IP-Banning. IPs can be banned on TA.
02-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak56 View Post
well hardcoregamer has had an IP ban so yeah, you can have a vbulletin IP ban. not that it stopped him from using a proxy.
They also have mods on vb.org to try and stop proxies as well. Not to say they stop all of them. But it does help out a great amount by banning all of the largest proxies. There are also mods that go from proxie to true IP so you can get there real IP as well.

02-17-2010, 07:25 PM
You IP ban and you almost certainly are also banning the innocent.

It also turns into a race. You ban them, they find a way around the ban so you ban them again and so it goes.

IP banning is not the solution but if you want to do it be aware that you will have to keep giving it time and maybe more time than you would do otherwise controlling their activities.
02-17-2010, 07:36 PM
We should turn this site private, only people who can invites can get accepted.