★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Quantum Lights

01-31-2009, 07:46 PM
Quantum Lights

I noticed that Quantum Lights is free for a limited time. Has anyone played it and is it any good?
01-31-2009, 08:15 PM
Interesting, a color-filled version of Lights Off.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc
02-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donburns99 View Post
Interesting, a color-filled version of Lights Off.
Just played it a bit, not really worth it.

There is no menu, no instructions, nothing.

Figured things out in 2-3 minutes of guesstimating.

When you start the application, you have the default screen which is the game board.

Across the top you have the:
  1. Score
  2. Current amount of moves.
  3. Win counter.

Across the bottom you have the:
  1. Play button - Starts the game.
  2. Random button - Randomly generates a board to play, based on your options.
  3. Edit button - lets you create your own board to play.
  4. Reset button - Clears the board of pieces.

Once you press play, whether there are pieces on the board or not, the game starts.
  1. If the board is empty, you can tap to create the lights, then continue to tap to turn them off and win.
  2. If you edited the board, when you press play, once the lights go off you win.
  3. If you randomly generated a board, it will tell you how many moves this puzzle can be solved in. This number doesn't change unless you edit the depth under options. Like the other modes, once you turn the lights off, you win.

There is also an option button, which brings up the options menu.

1. On the left you have the lights, where you can select how many lights you want to use while playing. With one light activated, it's exactly like lights off, you tap a light pair once to turn them off. As you add more colors, each tap will cycle through the color list before going off. (This is pretty pointless of the board starts all on one color, it's like playing Lights off, only you have to tap each pair multiple times depending on how many colors you turn on.)
  2. On the right, you have an indicator of which lights are enabled. They switch between on (enabled) and off (disabled) as you tap the colors on the left.
  3. Below that you have a single blank circle where you can select a "Color to match", don't ask me what this does. I tried to turn it to green, but couldn't figure out how to win the puzzle, even with making all the lights blue and turning all the lights off. Beats me what this option does. You can only select colors that are enabled.
  4. Below that you have the quad-colored box labeled "Random Depth". As you click it a random number will pop up. It is a multiplier of how many moves it takes to win.

Each time you change this, your score, moves and wins on the game board will reset to 0.

With 1 color active and a color depth of 1, it will take 1 move to win a puzzle.
    With 1 color active and a color depth of 99, it will take 99 move to win a puzzle.
    With 2 colors active and a color depth of 1, it will take 2 moves to win a puzzle.
    With 2 colors active and a color depth of 99, it will take 198 moves to win a puzzle.
    With all 7 colors active and a color depth of 94, it will take 658 moves to win a puzzle (and so on).

In the options menu, there is also a scores button.

That's pretty much it. In it's current form, I wouldn't personally recommend this to anyone. If there are updates in the future and the game is evolved, it may be worth a second look.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc

Last edited by Donburns99; 02-01-2009 at 09:01 PM.
02-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donburns99 View Post
Just played it a bit, not really worth it.

There is no menu, no instructions, nothing.

Figured things out in 2-3 minutes of guesstimating.

....... In it's current form, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.
I was playing this last night and I thought the same too. There is a lot of room for improvement to make this a playable and worthwhile game. A menu, some instructions, more clearly defined and more challenging levels, etc. I deleted it after 5 minutes of playing. With the right updates it could be a great game but until then don't bother.
02-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Meh, why are the free games never worth checking out? I mean, besides cuberunner, taptap, and falling balls.