★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Space Combat game ideas

View Poll Results: What kinds of space combat games do you want?
A gunner game (search Gunner 2) 1 4.00%
Free-form spaceship fighting 7 28.00%
Starlancer/Freelancer game 9 36.00%
Dogfighting 5 20.00%
Space trading 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll
01-31-2009, 10:52 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Space Combat game ideas

People loved Zone Warrior but hated Space Rage. What would YOU do to improve those games? What kinds of space combat games would YOU want?

I'm a staff editor at GamePodunk.com. Follow me on Twitter (@HLLivingLoco) for games and fun!
02-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Zone Warrior is in serious need of a story, that's the only fault I've found with it.

Well, that and my friend accidently started a new game when I was like 25 levels into it and I had to start all over again, so saved data would also be good.

But seriously, a story and that game becomes platinum (instead of gold).

02-01-2009, 04:07 AM
wing commander

anyone remember Privateer - a wing comm sequel on PC around 1994/5? THAT is what i want.

holy sh*t - look at this from Privateer 2 from 1996. The cast of this GAME features: a very young Clive Owen, Christopher Walken!, David Warner (the ultimate villain - Tron/Time Bandits), John Hurt and others...

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=K-6NjJffCzo

hell, i've been wanting this on 360 or PS3 for ages.

Gravity is my game :: Top Slingshot Player and working to get my #1 spot in Orbital back...
02-01-2009, 04:34 AM
Star wars, X-wing.

I used to play it on my 80386 cpu based PC.
I think it can still entertain peoples, if ported once.
02-01-2009, 07:18 AM
Xwing was ok...but Tie Fighter was the masterpiece :P

*cough*spacetrading/combat*cough* privateer or sundog:frozen alliance *lol* I want that game remade

imagine xwing vs tiefighter, but with accelerometer controls and wifi multiplayer... lucasarts needs to get on this, now!
02-01-2009, 09:59 AM
I think it's about the time someone resurrected Empire! The old Firebird game for Commodore, that is, 2-D vector shooting, trading and building your (I bet you didn't see this coming) intergalactic empire. Besides, monochrome vectors look cool on the iTouch.
02-01-2009, 11:11 AM
What I would simply love is a space shoot'em'up with more complex ideas, maybe even some RPG / trading / exploring elements such as:

- You'd start at a known area of space on a space port, with a small ship and some cash (picture DS9 type of space port)

- You'd explore and map out different star systems, survey planets (a la Mass effect) and mine minerals to sell

- You'd trade on different space docks in different areas of space (buying / selling spices, supplies, technology, etc)

- You'd meet alien races, maybe even trade technology (e.g. if you make good with a hostile race you can use their weapon tech, etc)

- There would be uncharted / dangerous areas to go when you level up your ship/gear high enough

- And anytime there's a battle (there could be random ones and encounters) it would be sort of like a hybrid of some blue attack levels and Starcontrol

In a game like the above, it can be entirely 2D and I wouldn't care. This wouldn't be about graphics. This above, is my dream game. I'd drop $20 for it, but I know it'll probably never exist If I had a couple million, I'd pay John Kooistra (hope I got your name right) the developer of Blue Attack to code this game based on the BA engine and control scheme.

- Jorlen

Favorites: Siralim | Cavern | Dungeonism | Avadon | Solomon's Keep | Endless Depths | Tallowmere
Now Playing: Dungeons of Chaos UNITY EDITION | Siralim 2

Last edited by Jorlen; 02-01-2009 at 11:18 AM.
02-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Indoor 6DOF combat, with a wide range of weapons (homing, ricochet, sniping, mines)... a.k.a. Descent!

Morgan Adams (GameCenter: “Adams Immersive”)
My upcoming first game: Scree (Forum thread)
My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Organize with shapes and colors instead: DotSpace (Forum thread)
02-01-2009, 02:40 PM
From the review I dont think people hate space rage.. its getting 4 star average now

But this is an interesting topic, as it could certainly give me more ideas on how to improve the game further.
02-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacerage View Post
From the review I dont think people hate space rage.. its getting 4 star average now

But this is an interesting topic, as it could certainly give me more ideas on how to improve the game further.
The original one now has a 4 star average? That's great!

I'm a staff editor at GamePodunk.com. Follow me on Twitter (@HLLivingLoco) for games and fun!