★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Are you disappointed by all the amateurish word search games in the app store, with their small unreadable and weak puzzles, awful user interfaces, childish silly graphics, and limited content and functionality? If you are, or want something better, try Word Quest!

Word Quest is a fun, polished word and number search puzzle with many twists on the classic genre. With innovative additions to the original concept, challenging features and layouts, and tons of content, it'll keep you motivated and playing game after game. And unlike other word search games, the puzzles adjust to your preferences to create just the right complexity with the intersections and coverage amounts you want. Word Quest is OpenFeint enabled with leader-boards, achievements and challenges (connect and play online against your friends), and is Wikipedia search capable.

FEATURES AND HIGHLIGHTS

+ Several modes of play: Classic, Rush, Shift and Action
+ Timed play in Rush, scrolling board in Shift, and both in Action
+ Choice of board layouts, and option to hide word letters for an added challenge
+ Pre-set and custom difficulty levels, with coverage, intersections and more
+ Puzzles that adjust to your preferences to create the complexity you want
+ Scoring with strategic bonuses and penalties to keep you motivated
+ Many themes, with thousands of words in each, through in-app purchases*
+ Make custom word lists by downloading content from anywhere on the web
+ Online leader-boards, achievements and challenges through OpenFeint
+ Wikipedia integration: tap a word to find out more about it
+ Accessibility: letter watermarks, tap and hold to zoom
+ Tap-tap or finger swipe to select words
+ Resume interrupted game functionality
+ In-game iPod music interface
+ Native iPad user-interface

* LITE: Displays ads, includes 2 themes with 5000+ words. Upgrade with in-app purchases.
* PAID: No ads, includes 7 themes with 25000+ words. Upgrade with in-app purchases.
* PLUS: No ads, all themes included. There are no upgrades or in-app purchases.

PLAY MODES

+ CLASSIC +
This is the classic word search game. Your goal is to find a list of words on a random board of letters. Depending on the difficulty settings, words can appear in reverse order and can intersect each other. Your points are tracked but you have an unlimited amount of time to complete the puzzle.

+ RUSH +
This mode introduces the element of time. The game starts with a puzzle board like Classic, but you have a limited amount of time to finish, and finding words not only gives you points but subtracts time. There are bonus or penalty points in this mode based on how fast you finish and/or whether you run out of time.

+ SHIFT +
A twist on the Classic, the game board is longer than the screen. Only the visible words are listed, and the puzzle will automatically scroll as you find the words to reveal more. If you like Classic, but wish the game play were longer, this is your mode. As with Classic, your points are tracked but you don't have to worry about time.

+ ACTION +
This mode combines Rush and Shift. The game starts with a puzzle board similar to Shift, but you have a limited amount of time to finish, like in Rush. As an added challenge, the board will scroll automatically whether you found all the visible words or not. It's a race against space and time.

UPDATES ARE FREE TO BOTH THE APPLICATION AND PURCHASED THEMES.

Do you have comments, questions or suggestions? If so, we'd like to hear from you. Our goal is to have you enjoy the game as much as we enjoyed creating it, so if something needs fixing or you'd like to see a feature, tell us and we'll do our best to provide you with results. Contact us: WordQuest at IslandJohn.com.

pluto6's comments:

There is also a Plus version here - Word Quest Plus at $4.99

I e-mailed the dev and he states that a lite should be out sometime early next week.

I have been looking for a good word search program, and this one looks like it could be a winner. I am probably waiting for the lite version though as I don't particularly like in-app purchases - but the Plus version is a little rich for a blind buy..
02-18-2010, 10:47 PM
After Puzzle Quest, I'm always hoping that any title with the work Quest in it contains some sort of storyline with RPG elements.

I'll keep an eye out for the lite, I like word games.

Tyler Williams - Video Producer
Website | Youtube | tylertv.net@gmail.com |
App Videos I've done

02-18-2010, 10:58 PM
If anyone has feedback for the game please let me know... OpenFeint is coming in the next release (1.2.0). There's no storyline, since it's a word search game, but I'm open to suggestions. I do plan on adding Achievements and Challenges (via OpenFeint) in a near future release, but I haven't layed out concrete plans for those yet (I have to think about it.)
02-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Wow, this has got a lot of content. Interesting to see what others think first though. Got lots of word games always in play but maybe could squeeze one more in somehow.
02-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Version 1.1.0 of Word Quest original was just approved. The Lite should be available soon, despite all three (Original, Lite, Plus) having been submitted at the same time.

For Word Quest Original and Plus, version 1.2.0 has been submitted which includes some new themes, but most importantly OpenFeint integration for online leader-boards. Achievements and challenges will be available in a future release.
03-01-2010, 06:09 PM
This now is up to version 1.20. Here is a review that I left on iTunes.

"Finally a word search game that allows you to throw away your Dell paperbacks, and really allows you to play a word search game on your iDevice. All the other varieties that I have played in the App store (about 15), the words are few and far between, few intersections, and hit recognition is so-so. The large, hard puzzles in this game use probably 80% of all the letters showing, and have multiple crosses. You can choose to have words being backwards, and so the puzzles are really just like playing in the magazines. There is challenge, and you control how hard, or easy you want the puzzle to be.

The action and shift modes take the genre where the magazines can't... the puzzle scrolls, and you only have a limited time to find the words that are on that small section in front of you - don't find it, and the avaiable words list changes to show what words are there - truly a race against the clock! I was really skeptical at first - but these modes have become my favorite.

The themes, Open Feint integration, and planned future updates are icing on the cake. This is your forever supply of magazine quality word search puzzles, without the bulk!"

I have to say that I have generally been a word search occasionally kind of guy, but the action and shift have taken the genre to new heights. There is a lite version here if you want to try it out. It has all the various modes. The $0.99 version is probably more than enough to satisfy a lot of people, and the premium version is just that - premium - with tons of content. Open Feint has been integrated and dev has a lot of ideas for achievements, etc. Really a great game, and I think that any of you folks that like word games will really like this. It took me by complete surprise...

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
03-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto6 View Post
This now is up to version 1.20. Here is a review that I left on iTunes.

"Finally a word search game that allows you to throw away your Dell paperbacks, and really allows you to play a word search game on your iDevice. All the other varieties that I have played in the App store (about 15), the words are few and far between, few intersections, and hit recognition is so-so. The large, hard puzzles in this game use probably 80% of all the letters showing, and have multiple crosses. You can choose to have words being backwards, and so the puzzles are really just like playing in the magazines. There is challenge, and you control how hard, or easy you want the puzzle to be.

The action and shift modes take the genre where the magazines can't... the puzzle scrolls, and you only have a limited time to find the words that are on that small section in front of you - don't find it, and the avaiable words list changes to show what words are there - truly a race against the clock! I was really skeptical at first - but these modes have become my favorite.

The themes, Open Feint integration, and planned future updates are icing on the cake. This is your forever supply of magazine quality word search puzzles, without the bulk!"

I have to say that I have generally been a word search occasionally kind of guy, but the action and shift have taken the genre to new heights. There is a lite version here if you want to try it out. It has all the various modes. The $0.99 version is probably more than enough to satisfy a lot of people, and the premium version is just that - premium - with tons of content. Open Feint has been integrated and dev has a lot of ideas for achievements, etc. Really a great game, and I think that any of you folks that like word games will really like this. It took me by complete surprise...
Thanks for the review Pluto6. Been wanting to try this and did have my eye on it for awhile, but still wasn't sure. Glad you've mentioned the lite along w/ your impressions. I've kind of taken your words/impressions as pretty spot on with most games lately. I'll get a taste of it first and will decide then but looks to be a good game to get.
03-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Warm up with Classic - the selection is by tapping on first and last letter (or visa-versa) and the game fills in all the middle letters.

Make sure that you try the Action mode - it is really quite a challenge, and really fun. Make sure that you also get into the options and change the board to at least a medium size (hard is more like magazines) - and make the difficulty at least medium or hard (on action, the medium and hard has a lot to do with how many words that you have to find). I'll be curious to see what you think. This is a real hidden gem, IMO, and for those that find it, I think they will really enjoy it.

03-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Wow...I'm impressed. I like how it has the (big) words right there in plain site that have yet to find. (one reason for a future purchase) Others games of the like have tiny words printed or have leave the board to find the words you've got/missed, etc.

The Plus version has TONS of content I see and at $5

I would buy the .99 version but feel like I'm not getting the whole game. And especially when I'm given the option to buy the separate games within it just makes me want the Plus version more. So I'm opting to get the Plus version because of this.
But not at this time.
Little strapped for $ at the moment with the buying of some epic games that have come out recently. But will get it in a few days, for sure.

If anyones got the readily cash on hand then I suggest getting it. I will soon. But just not at the moment. Will add to my Appsniper for sure though in the mean time.

I see the lite times you out if don't tap any letters but lets you resume where you left off by tapping onto the back button and resuming. But it won't let you save the game to return to it later. Only prob I'd seen really. Otherwise a very nice game.

I'm going to give the lite a good recommend in iTunes cuz it does stand out and very user friendly. Thanks Pluto6
03-01-2010, 09:39 PM
The lack of save state is an issue, and I believe that dev is addressing. I think that is really the biggest drawback, but he assured me that he will be fixing that.

The price point is probably on the high side, but it looks like he will be having enough content to last a really, really long time, and he has a number of update options that I think will really be phenomenal.