★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: I am of the belief that "Peggie" should get boycotted.

02-01-2009, 07:46 PM
I am of the belief that "Peggie" should get boycotted.

Not much more to say, I just wanted to point out before people get excited about the excellent game "Peggle" being available in the App Store that it isn't quite there yet. The game currently in the store, "PeggIe, is a concept clone and (I believe) an intentionally misleadingly-close name.

Do as you will, but if nothing else be aware that the game "PeggLe" is still apparently a month or so away from release. I suggest holding out until that game comes out.
02-01-2009, 07:52 PM
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...ghlight=peggie

"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"- The master himself, Dr. Seuss

02-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelrose View Post
Not much more to say, I just wanted to point out before people get excited about the excellent game "Peggle" being available in the App Store that it isn't quite there yet. The game currently in the store, "PeggIe, is a concept clone and (I believe) an intentionally misleadingly-close name.

Do as you will, but if nothing else be aware that the game "PeggLe" is still apparently a month or so away from release. I suggest holding out until that game comes out.
No offense jmelrose, I just disagree.
02-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Please expand, Rich. While I don't mind the clone aspect of the Peggie game, I do take real issue with the name, particularly since it is so easy to look at Peggie and think it is the "real deal." Even if a boycott is too harsh for your liking, at the very least there should be a "buyer beware."

Tenn, while I appreciate pointing out the thread discussing Peggle, I offer that the topic of THIS thread is quite different than a simple discussion of the awesomeness of Peggle.
02-01-2009, 08:10 PM
I think you have a point with regard to the name. I think it is deceptive and that there will be accidental purchases. There could be people that mistakenly buy it and (presuming they might not like it because it isn't peggle) have that reflect poorly on Popcap.
02-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Tenn, while I appreciate pointing out the thread discussing Peggle, I offer that the topic of THIS thread is quite different than a simple discussion of the awesomeness of Peggle.
This is when you press the red alert symbol (mod alert) in the post and recommend a title change, then continue discussion in that post.

I agree with the Buyer Beware, but really that should be a given as is.

Anyone who looks at Peggie for more than a second can see it's not Peggle, not only the apparent i, but also by the screen shots. It's not like they named it PeggIe with a capital i or anything. I agree the name is somewhat deceptive, I just can't blame them unless they tried to go out of their way to pass it off as the official Peggle.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc
02-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donburns99 View Post
Anyone who looks at Peggie for more than a second can see it's not Peggle, not only the apparent i, but also by the screen shots. It's not like they named it PeggIe with a capital i or anything. I agree the name is somewhat deceptive, I just can't blame them unless they tried to go out of their way to pass it off as the official Peggle.
I would say that is true IF the buyer knows the original Peggle. If they only know there was a highly acclaimed game called Peggle but are unfamiliar with it much beyond, that.

*I* personally was VERY excited when I saw Peggie in the TA app feed, and clicked immediately. IT was at that point when I saw the art style (or lack thereof) in Peggie that I realized it was a different game.

I do give the dev of Peggie a bit of credit for not putting "Peggle" in the description of the game, so if one searches for PeggLe, Peggie doesn't come up.
02-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Please expand, Rich. While I don't mind the clone aspect of the Peggie game, I do take real issue with the name, particularly since it is so easy to look at Peggie and think it is the "real deal." Even if a boycott is too harsh for your liking, at the very least there should be a "buyer beware."

Ok, I don't completley disagree, and I do see your point. I just see many other similar "intellectual rights" near violations that I think it is unwarranted to single out just one. I'm not saying you are wrong... I wouldfirst email the developer with your concerns and post back to us their response. Just a suggestion.

Btw, I appreciate your approach in addressing this issue. Also, a somewhat belated welcome to TA.

Last edited by rich_952000; 02-01-2009 at 08:46 PM.
02-01-2009, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_952000 View Post
Btw, I appreciate your approach in addressing this issue. Also, a somewhat belated welcome to TA.

Thanks! I'm not sure why my join date is Dec 2008. I've been reading TA since summer... I can't believe I wouldn't have posted something in the forums earlier than December!
02-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Thanks! I'm not sure why my join date is Dec 2008. I've been reading TA since summer... I can't believe I wouldn't have posted something in the forums earlier than December!
I look forward to more contributions from you in the games forums as I do believe this topic warrants it's own thread.