★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Blue Attack! Tips and Tricks

02-02-2009, 05:41 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Blue Attack! Tips and Tricks

Morning all,

Just wanting to see if anyone has any great tips for Blue Attack!

I have won the war via the bottom most route - the easy one.

I have opened up the first medium level via the other route (think it was under 120 seconds or something) but struggling to open the others.

Anyone got any tips for the game? which upgrades do you find best to get first?
I usually go with the fly backwards upgrade first.

Any tips?
02-02-2009, 06:03 AM
First, I try to get stronger. More guns, stronger guns, more wingmen, something like that. (It always varies a bit). Unused points after a level go towards speed upgrades (not the speed boost).
For the first level, people find it useful to use a bomb when they're close to the final enemy. If you kill it with a bomb within 10 seconds, your score is multiplied by 10. If you don't use a bomb, it will take more time and your score won't be as high. (Using the bomb will "cost" you 5000 though, because if you don't use it, you can sell it after the level is finished.)

In general, I don't purchase the flying backwards upgrade, bomb upgrades, and things like that. My two main principles are:
* I make my ship stronger (better gun, more guns, gun speed, more wingmen), and if I don't have enough points to do that, I make it faster (acceleration, speed and rotation speed).
* Always repurchase lives I've lost in a level, and after two or three levels, start expanding the amount of lives. (For two reasons: first, because I've got more wingmen; and second, because enemies are getting stronger and it's easier to lose a life quickly.)

Now I hear a lot of people keep using bombs in the later levels, or find the flying backwards upgrade extremely useful. So in the end, it's personal preference. (Which doesn't mean that it's bad to experiment with different strategies, of course. )

02-02-2009, 06:34 AM
I can't survive without the reverse upgrade, its always the first thing I buy.
After that I invest in more wingmans, more guns, rate of fire and damage upgrade.
Instead of bombs I use the force blast thing.
02-02-2009, 06:37 AM
Rojaz, see, in this case it's useful to buy the Reverse upgrade:
Originally Posted by Chiller ONE View Post
I can't survive without the reverse upgrade, its always the first thing I buy.
In this case, NOT buying the reverse upgrade means that you'll have to repurchase several lives. And then repurchasing lives will be more expensive than getting the Reverse upgrade.

02-02-2009, 06:44 AM
I buy the strafe immediately, have never bought the reverse upgrade. I can't break 1,000,000 points though (get very close every game). Then I buy better guns, guns, guns. I sell ALL bombs and wingmen for more powerful guns. Once I max out bullets then I add wingmen (since they get two shots each). By the last mission I buy bombs to help kill the suicide comets.
02-02-2009, 07:05 AM
I have never tested strafe, I'll take it next time instead of reverse and see how it works out.
Also is there someone who finds the accuracy upgrade useful?
02-02-2009, 07:23 AM
I completely avoid wingmen. I have found them to be outrageously expensive after rebuying the ships every level.

First I upgrade number of guns, then attack strength then number of shots per second. With what I have left over I top off bombs or lives. If everything goes well after the second level I get strafe (the single most useful upgrade) and then maybe the force thing.
I hope that helps.

I pretty much only play Infinite these days but my highest score is over 2 million.
02-02-2009, 07:49 AM
Does anyone find all the different formations useful? I haven't really found a use for them yet.
02-02-2009, 07:58 AM
I always use the second formation. Always. I feel that together with the accuracy upgrade, and with some precise movement, I can move to the core of some enemies without having to destroy all the outer shell parts. So I can go directly towards the core without losing wingmen.

I'm playing a game in Infinite mode right now (top score around 2,5 million) and basically what I'm trying to do is to get the second green column maxed out, the left and middle red column maxed out, but while maxing out the Gun Damage I also increase the amount of lives. (Gun Damage 5/7 costs 320.000 so I'll have to save for it, you can't purchase it after 1 level)

So the left green column, the right red column, and the bombs are empty.

02-02-2009, 09:14 AM
I sell my wingmens as fast as possible! They only serve to suck up expensive lives.

Later when I reach the max level for guns on my ship I repurchase the wingmens.

The toughest part with this technique is the level just before you go back to the wingmens (you being a bit underpowered this round) but the following round where you will have around 2-3x as many cannons (you probably need to sell a damage upgrade or two) you'll just tear though enemys.

My best round just after I got my wingmen back I could really just fly around, never stopping and just blasting though cores.

A level or two later it gets harder:

Sum up: Don't buy wingmen unless you have 2 cannons on each wingman.