★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Zombie Game Jam = h.grenade + 72hr + TA Forum Input!

02-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Zombie Game Jam = h.grenade + 72hr + TA Forum Input!

As some of you know Zombie Cannon Carnage is set to be released on Tuesday the 23rd! Kelly and I are going crazy with the waiting and we had a cool idea. Let's make a simple game in 72hrs using the assets and technology from ZCC. Set your expectations extremely low for this we are just screwing around ; ) That said, we want to make it awesome and we want your help!

The rules:
1. Has to be completed by Tuesday the 23rd
2. Has to feature Z-Emo from ZCC
3. All major gameplay decisions are decided by TA Forum Input : )

Game Design Documentation
Run as far as you can [A. avoiding obstacles or B. jumping from rooftop to rooftop] using only one button to jump. The further you run, the faster you run through a randomized set of pre-created city blocks. Attacking people along the way [A. gives you a quick turbo or B. bonus points using a second attack button]. Z-Emo is an amazing freerunner so she does flips [A. automatically when you jump or B. does flips when you press a Flip button in mid air] adding more points to your score. [A. If she hits any obstacle she explodes into pieces and the players score is based on how far her head rolls or B. she falls to her death exploding just below the roof line.]

We can put a quick local leaderboard but that's it right now. No achievements, global leaderboards, etc. - we need to get this done quick.

We need input on the the name/logo Run Zombie Run or Run ZEmo Run - yes they are both references to the amazing movie Run Lola Run : ) We also need input on the game setting, city streets or roof tops and a few of the other A/B options above.

Here is the current ZCC icon and the quick and dirty one that we did today for the new game:

Clearly this needs some work but hey we don't have much time here : ) We started by making the run/jump cycle animations that we will need for the project. We already have exploding ragdolls in ZCC, a follow camera and a randomized set of city blocks which we can modify so we are pretty much set.

If everyone is interested we will try and post the entire process here as we go. I am off to try and make the animation work by using a UV offset animation with two modes, one for running and one for jumping. Blending is going to be a problem but we will deal with that later : )

Last edited by se7en; 02-20-2010 at 06:14 PM.
02-20-2010, 06:59 PM
1. A
2. B
3. B
4. A

Looks great!

Upcoming Games: CJS2, Racing Apex, High Strangeness, Dino Run, Super Feed Me, Mimeo and the Kleptopus King, Loot, Run Run Dash, Pogo Rampage, Burrito Bison, Star Saver, Pocket Cars, Rock Rider, THEM, Prince of Europa, Epic Dive, One Tap Hero

02-20-2010, 07:08 PM

sounds good to me! Hope it plays as well as canabalt!

Beta tester of 54 games
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Thats a nice lookin gun.
02-20-2010, 07:32 PM

btw it looks great
02-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Hi I'm Se7en's partner Kelly X, And thanks for the input so far!! We'll wait for more too...
I will be posting progress along the way too, we are working fast here and small things can always be altered.
If you have any creative input artistically like things you would like to see the Zombie's eat, or more idea's for carnage, bring it forth... We'll do our best to deliver... The idea's of yours we use we would like to credit you for so leave the name you would like to see in the game//games.
Posting something cool very soon, almost done.
02-20-2010, 08:59 PM
What will the price be for this and ZCC?
Both look awesome.

Suggestion: What about having it like you CAN just stay on the ground level and dodge obstacles, OR from the ground you could like say jump onto a bench then onto a little ice cream parolor and finally on top of some buildings to get a different route that ends up going to the same place. Ha its a litle hard to understand but I got it from the game PP's Park Race on donutgames.com .

Looking forward to seeing progress on this. Ill be here the whole time, cuz I wanna help a lot.

[ERROR<:>/ insert witty saying here/>]
02-20-2010, 09:00 PM
Run Zemo Run. Killing Zemo. Zemo will die. (title)
Controls: jump with all screen/flip when jumping
button to attack or half screen attack/half screen to jump & flip.

Loving all your iPhone games
02-20-2010, 09:47 PM
1. A
2. B
3. A
4. A

My feeble title idea: "Run and Die (Again)!"

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
02-21-2010, 12:49 AM
abruce42, Thanks and the running//Zemo as far as price we don't know right right this second. PP's Park Race sounds cool, I'll have to get it (maybe in four days, haha)

Shinto, Thanks, you and Se7en share parts of the same brain I think... look again when he posts, good stuff and idea's!! Nice death to Zemo lines too .

LordGek, Thank you, I like Run and die again, hahahaha! So true, maybe as some kind og tag line?

We're thinking of other games to do with our characters so this is a Mustang muscle car I just did in illustrator, then Se7en will take it into Unity and we'll mix it with Demolition, carnage and our Zombies... Each Zombie will have a car, This will probably be Zemo's car and I'll give Pee Pee Boy a clunker, if you can think of cool clunkers that would be cool too... I don't want overwhelm anyone... Hopefully I'll own this car someday... Hmmm = Thanks for so much help and don't stop yet, many hours to go, whew.

02-21-2010, 01:07 AM
I need to check the prices, but thank you for asking

Last edited by kellyx; 02-22-2010 at 07:51 AM.