★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Dancing Lights is an abstract, minimalistic puzzle game.

The stated goal is to illuminate all of the lights, but getting there is another storyputting your observational and cognitive skills to the test.

Touch & Go
Manipulate a dazzling array of lights with effortless touch. Every action sparks an instant response. Don't bother reading the instructionsyou'll be conducting a light show within seconds of playing.

Pure
Subtractive design allowed for the implementation of an integrated interface. Features were carefully combined or removed to ensure no loss in clarity.

Beautiful & Intelligent
The visuals were designed to be more than just pleasing to the eye. Their subtle hints and abstract qualities represent an intricate marriage between form and function.

kryptonics's comments:
Dancing Lights is a minimalistic, abstract re-imagining of childhood discovery. I wanted to create an experience which mimicked my first interactions with a videogame. I had no instructions, nor did I care about a score. Only two things mattered: the response I got from touching the game and the sheer joy of discovery.

Behind its abstract shapes and basic rules is a world of limitless depth, morphing into different forms based on your thoughts and mood. Will the experience be relaxing, tense, intriguing, or something completely different? Simply touch a light and see where it takes you.

Cheers,
David Anton
Director, Liquid Crystal
Dancing Lights on the App Store http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dancing-lights/id354623010
Dancing Lights http://www.liquid-crystal.biz/dancinglights/

02-21-2010, 08:08 AM
Intriguing, but would like a little more information. "Limitless depth" is a lofty claim but what does it translate to in real terms?

A video would also be nice.

02-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Well, I was intrigued enough to pick this up. I'm glad I did. I think.

The graphics are actually very nice, and there's a soothing quality about them. The object is to light up all the lights on the screen, by sending them towards a glowing light which changes location after each turn.

Probably this couldn't sound more confusing, but in practice is awfully simple.

It seems like if you play for long enough you will eventually complete the "puzzle." I'm not sure at this point exactly what the challenge is, or if there even is one.

What I've been able to work out is that the colours change in a pattern from green to blue to red and back to green. I suspect there is a pattern to the glowing light's movement as well, but so far haven't been able to work out what it is.

I'd recommend this if you don't mind risking a buck on something different, and at the very least visually appealing.

All the folks who liked Quozzle, where are you? You might want to check this out.

Last edited by Gabrien; 02-21-2010 at 10:56 PM.
02-22-2010, 12:51 AM
Gabrien,

Thanks for giving Dancing Lights a try!

By limitless depth, I'm talking about the number of opportunities and directions presented to the player. It's similar to Tetris in the sense that there is no one way to solve a puzzle.

I am working on getting a video released on Youtube. I'm new to video editing though, so it'll be a few days.

Also, Siliconera has an article up about the game:
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/02/21...conera-reader/

The objective is to illuminate all of the lights. As time progresses, the lights dim away. There are currently 12 levels, each fading faster then the last. Each progressing level also starts out with fewer lit lights. The last half of the game also has various tricks to how the lights dim.

As for the glowing light's movement, you are correct--there is a pattern.

I plan on continuously updating the game, so if you have any concerns or things you'd like to see, just drop me a line and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks,
David Anton
02-22-2010, 01:20 AM
I really like the look of this. I'm going to get it for my 3-year-old daughter.

...primarily, so I can tell my wife that I spent less money on iPhone apps this week...but also because she might like it.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
02-22-2010, 01:53 AM
David,

The main thing I find myself wondering is, is there a strategy to the game? I mean, it DOES feel like if I just sit there long enough I will complete the puzzle. Though, I have only completed the first three levels so far.

Is there a way to actually control what is happening and to get better at the game, or is it mostly random? If I am able to actually figure out what pattern there is, will that mean that I will feel more in control?

How about a hint on what the glowing light's pattern is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonics View Post
Gabrien,

Thanks for giving Dancing Lights a try!

By limitless depth, I'm talking about the number of opportunities and directions presented to the player. It's similar to Tetris in the sense that there is no one way to solve a puzzle.

I am working on getting a video released on Youtube. I'm new to video editing though, so it'll be a few days.

Also, Siliconera has an article up about the game:
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/02/21...conera-reader/

The objective is to illuminate all of the lights. As time progresses, the lights dim away. There are currently 12 levels, each fading faster then the last. Each progressing level also starts out with fewer lit lights. The last half of the game also has various tricks to how the lights dim.

As for the glowing light's movement, you are correct--there is a pattern.

I plan on continuously updating the game, so if you have any concerns or things you'd like to see, just drop me a line and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks,
David Anton
02-22-2010, 01:54 AM
Game Impressions

The minimalist artwork is sublime, the soundtrack is hauntingly beautiful, and the process of discovery is wonderfully compelling and relaxing. The best thing I can say about this work is that, if you like art, you will enjoy Dancing Lights.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
02-22-2010, 02:01 AM
@kryptonics - Based on your stated goals, you have succeeded. PM me your PayPal address and I'll send you what the game is worth.

02-22-2010, 03:14 AM
Damn it guys, I told myself I wasn't going to buy any more games this month.

Oh well...this sounds too promising to pass up for a buck. I will post my impressions when I get a chance.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
02-22-2010, 03:31 AM
Ok, so I figured out how the glowie light moves.

And...it made the game harder because...now I actually have to think.