★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Porting Flash-made to iPhone app

02-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Porting Flash-made to iPhone app

How easy is it to port a Flash file to an iPhone app? I understand it can be done. I'd much prefer working in Flash because A) I'm very familiar with it and B) I don't have the proper hardware for the SDK as I'm back on 10.4 on a PowerBook G4.

Along with this, if I were to successfully port it without the SDK (which I'm not sure if it can be done), is there a way to test it on my iPhone?

I don't know much about developing for the App Store platform, but any information on these questions would be great.

Check me out on Tumblr or Follow me on Twitter
02-02-2009, 11:32 AM
No, you will have to create your game from the ground up

Artwork from the flash games might still be good though.

Bullet Development (twitter) Bullet Skater // Psychedelic

02-02-2009, 12:09 PM
You sure? Check out this article:
http://www.insideria.com/2008/12/act...---protot.html

Apparently, "Flash and Cocoa are shockingly similar. Much of the Cocoa framework is a mirror image of Actionscript classes / components."

I'm just curious as to how easy this actually is... and if it's possible to do without having the SDK readily available.

02-02-2009, 12:13 PM
I mean, especially if it doesn't involve a lot of coding. Something extremely simple would be a big step.

02-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
Apparently, "Flash and Cocoa are shockingly similar. Much of the Cocoa framework is a mirror image of Actionscript classes / components."
Monkeys and humans are shockingly similar too. It's the details that'll kill you. There isn't anything (that I've heard of anyway) that exists that will let you write in Flash, and then port it to Cocoa Touch. And even if there was, you'd still need an Intel Mac to compile the resulting code, and test on an iPhone.
02-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little White Bear Studios View Post
Monkeys and humans are shockingly similar too. It's the details that'll kill you. There isn't anything (that I've heard of anyway) that exists that will let you write in Flash, and then port it to Cocoa Touch. And even if there was, you'd still need an Intel Mac to compile the resulting code, and test on an iPhone.
Makes sense. Alright, well it was worth a try, eh?

Thanks!

02-03-2009, 09:34 AM
as long as you have a thorough understand of oop, all you have to do is learn a new set of api's

its pretty simple- the logic is all the same
02-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowAndy View Post
as long as you have a thorough understand of oop, all you have to do is learn a new set of api's

its pretty simple- the logic is all the same
Agreed. I knew C++, and the leap to Objective C was very small.