★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Adventure game recommendations please

02-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Adventure game recommendations please

Has anyone played 'Soultrapper'? 'Secrets of the Lost Cavern'?- thoughts?

ANY GOOD RECO'S FOR GOOD ADVENTURE GAMES ON THE IPHONE APPRECIATED!
02-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffyone View Post
I've played Soul Trapper. Nice little audio adventure. I paid full price and enjoyed it, but I'm a sucker for these sorts of games. There was a sale a while back (happened only hours after I paid full price, btw ) that brought it down to $1.99 iirc, but now it's back up to $7.99. I don't know if I'd recommend it at that price, but I do recommend the game itself.

Haven't played Secrets of the Lost Cavern. I don't even think it's been released yet for iTouch/Phone.

If you dig adventure games, here is a list of the ones I know of on iTouch/Phone:

1112 - there's a free "lite" version so you can get a flavor of the game

CSI: Miami - pretty short, which was my only criticism of the game aside from the awful voice acting. Don't know it I'd pay $5.99 for it looking back, but if it ever goes on sale for, say, $1.99-2.99, I'd recommend picking it up.

Alternate Endings - Damned underrated game. It's an FMV adventure (interactive movie adventure) with pretty good acting and a few alternate endings (hence the title ).

There are also the Jake Hunter games, two of which have been released. Haven't played them yet, however. Seems to be ports of the DS games.

Also, if you like adventure games, check out the hidden item games like Everest and Spear of Destiny.
Thank You so much!! Appreciate your thoughts !

I did see that I missed the Soul Trapper sale. Based on what I have read and what you have said I don't think $7.99 is my entry point. I think $1.99 is fair and I 'll wait for that or not at all I guess.

Last edited by cheapsuits; 02-02-2009 at 04:29 PM.

02-02-2009, 05:32 PM
@spiffyone: did you mean Stone Of Destiny? I thought Spear Of Destiny was one of the old Wolfenstein 3D sequels

At any rate, while I wouldn't necessarily qualify Stone Of Destiny as an adventure game, it was a great game none the less. Be warned, though, that unless you want to play it several times there's only about 2.5 hours of game time to it.

Unfortunately, I haven't really played any adventure games on the iPod yet. I wish there was more of a selection at cheaper prices (sadly, I can't afford $8 a game right now). If you're into real old-school - in other words, no graphics - you could pick up Advent (a port of the original Adventure text adventure game) or the iPhone version of the Frotz engine, which is also free.

Where did you hear about Secrets Of The Lost Cavern? I played that game on the Pocket PC, and personally it didn't hold my attention very well. If the iPhone port is coming from Tetraedge I'd much rather see them port Return To Mysterious Island or Syberia II. If you ever see either of these, I'd jump on them right away.

If you decide to pursue any adventure games you come across, let us know your findings.
02-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks for all the info.

always looking for a good adventure game.

I heard of Secrets of the lost Cavern coming to iPhone on this very site :

http://toucharcade.com/2008/12/20/pr...ing-to-iphone/

I agree $8 games are too much for me. In fact I wince at $5 games. Always looking to pick up games on a special or something. I appreciate the feedback becasue if I spend 1.99 and the game sucks or is too short I am furious at myself.

I really enjoy Everest thanks for the heads up!.

I would really like to see something like Monkey Island come to the iPhone.

Thanks again
02-04-2009, 11:08 AM
highly recommend the scummvm emulator over at the urban fanatics repo. monkey island and many others run flawlessly. just replayed beneath a steel sky and sam and max hit the road. quite fun.
02-04-2009, 11:17 AM
The only problem is that SCUMMVM is only good if you have a jailbroken device.

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
02-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointOfLight View Post
The only problem is that SCUMMVM is only good if you have a jailbroken device.
Awww, damn. I'm pretty new to the Ipod Touch/iPhone and i thought there would be a ScummVM-Version too, but i didn't know it would only work when Jailbroken.

Isn't there a Chance to bring ScummVM as an App to the Store or use it without Jailbreak somehow? (Even if it's only for Flight of the Amazon Queen and Beneath a Steel Sky)
02-04-2009, 11:35 AM
The problem would be getting the data for the individual games onto your iDevice. With a jailbroken device you can just FTP the files to a directory on your iPod. But, to make it work on legitimate devices you'd have to have some way to upload the files through SCUMMVM itself. That's practical for a simple thing like a level file in Cube Runner, but I would imagine it would be a lot more difficult for the entire file set of a game like Beneath A Steel Sky. If we're real lucky, someone at Apple will finally start thinking like an end user and they'll develop new versions of their iDevices that allow you to browse the device like you can with Windows Mobile devices. Then again, some day pigs might fly too

Eric Pankoke
02-04-2009, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointOfLight View Post
The problem would be getting the data for the individual games onto your iDevice. With a jailbroken device you can just FTP the files to a directory on your iPod. But, to make it work on legitimate devices you'd have to have some way to upload the files through SCUMMVM itself. That's practical for a simple thing like a level file in Cube Runner, but I would imagine it would be a lot more difficult for the entire file set of a game like Beneath A Steel Sky. If we're real lucky, someone at Apple will finally start thinking like an end user and they'll develop new versions of their iDevices that allow you to browse the device like you can with Windows Mobile devices. Then again, some day pigs might fly too
Hmm, i'd really love to see some of those classic Point & Click Stuff. The iPhone/Touch is like made for Point & Click Adventures. Hope they come up with something, but i guess that's not gonna happen then...
02-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Well what we need is for someone to come up with some original iDevice adventures I agree that it's a great platform for Point & Click, and if someone develops a solid engine maybe they could even allow module uploads. Basically, it would be an Adventure Game Studio specifically designed for iDevices. If I could scrounge up the money for a Mac, I'd even give it a go!

Eric Pankoke