★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Best Shmups?

02-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Best Shmups?

i downloaded rRootage a few months ago when it came out and, so far, i think it's the best game on the iPhone. i friggin' LOVE it and i want more. i've read about a few other shmups on Touch Arcade and other sites but i'm looking for a recommendation from some other fans of the genre. i've heard that Platypus is really good, but the whole accelerometer control thing makes me a little wary about making the purchase (yeah, i know i'm a cheap bastard). any suggestions?
02-02-2009, 04:13 PM
blue atk.

now playing: Dela - Changes In Atmosphere & Cunninlynguists - A Piece of Strange

02-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woojaekeem View Post
blue atk.
see, i got that and i just didn't like it. Blue Defense is pretty good but, again, i didn't think that the accelerometer controls worked for Attack. way too imprecise. i also tried Dropship and that game makes me want to throw my phone through a window. i like rRootage because i could set my finger right behind the ship and easily navigate through a curtain of bullets. all of this gimmicky accelerometer and "hay, look guise, i re-invented the joystick" stuff doesn't do it for me. a good shooter needs precise controls above all else and so far, rRootage is the only game i've played that nails that aspect of it.
02-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhound421 View Post
see, i got that and i just didn't like it. Blue Defense is pretty good but, again, i didn't think that the accelerometer controls worked for Attack. way too imprecise. i also tried Dropship and that game makes me want to throw my phone through a window. i like rRootage because i could set my finger right behind the ship and easily navigate through a curtain of bullets. all of this gimmicky accelerometer and "hay, look guise, i re-invented the joystick" stuff doesn't do it for me. a good shooter needs precise controls above all else and so far, rRootage is the only game i've played that nails that aspect of it.
Blue atk's are supposed to be bad. It's because it makes you buy upgrades for better control. However, I agree that rRootage is a good shooter.

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread
02-02-2009, 04:34 PM
there have been best shmups threads before and recently too.

Blue attack actually has very good controls. as CB says above, it helps to upgrade your ship AND to know how to customize the settings.

Gravity is my game :: Top Slingshot Player and working to get my #1 spot in Orbital back...
02-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhound421 View Post
...rRootage is the only game i've played that nails that aspect of it.
rRootage was never meant to be played with analog controls and auto-fire. The desktop version has dual but constant speed for ship movement (depending on whether you're firing or not) which is a fundamental part of the experience. The iPhone version is watered down and easy - play the desktop version and be happy - and grab PARSEC47 and A7Xpg while yer at it

SHREDD · GO FAST! FREE!
Nozoku Rush · Kick Math's Ass!
Critter Panic · Break yer brain! FREE!
Silverfish & Silverfish MAX · Hardcore arcade insanity!
Nozoku · A casual game of math & logic.
More: cbox.me · Twitter · YouTube
02-02-2009, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM imagery View Post
there have been best shmups threads before and recently too.

Blue attack actually has very good controls. as CB says above, it helps to upgrade your ship AND to know how to customize the settings.
well sorry dude, i went 5-6 pages deep looking for one and didn't find anything.

maybe i should keep trying Attack. although i think it's really crappy that you have to upgrade how well your ship controls. new weapons, speed, power-ups… all of that i get. but if i'm already sick of the controls before the end of the tutorial then the developers haven't done their job in my opinion and i'm on to something else.
02-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Condello View Post
rRootage was never meant to be played with analog controls and auto-fire. The desktop version has dual but constant speed for ship movement (depending on whether you're firing or not) which is a fundamental part of the experience. The iPhone version is watered down and easy - play the desktop version and be happy - and grab PARSEC47 and A7Xpg while yer at it
i looked into other Kenta Cho shooters and unfortunately i didn't see anything for Mac.
02-02-2009, 04:58 PM
I found rRootage fascinating when I got it, but I don't play it much /at all because I don't know what I am supposed to be doing. Keep aiming automatic fire at the boss in front of me, who is spitting stuff at me that I must avoid, until he explodes? Am I missing something?

I find the visuals almost as hypnotically addictive and pleasing as dropship! I hope vector tank will be of the same vein...
02-02-2009, 05:01 PM
no prob dude but search is your friend....

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...ghlight=shmups

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...ghlight=shmups

Gravity is my game :: Top Slingshot Player and working to get my #1 spot in Orbital back...