★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: studio tomato*
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 3.6 MB
  • Version: 1.0.1
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Lead a group of divers to the treasure at the bottom of the ocean. Help them avoid deadly tentacles of a huge octopus that guards these depths.

The game is remake of old Russian game most of us remember from the childhood. The graphics is as the original one but the game offers new functions and possibilities.

Features:
- original design
- openfeint (leaderboards, achievements)
- easy and intuitive control
- time inexpensive
- addictive gameplay
- memory of childhood

02-23-2010, 12:34 AM
That looks neat!! Gonna try it. uhhm, what's it do?

Last edited by Coldar; 02-23-2010 at 12:37 AM.

02-23-2010, 12:35 AM
That looks neat!! Gonna try it. uhhm, what's it do?

uh ohhh...didn't mean to do that.

Edit: didn't want to bump this so adding the game would never d/l to my device. It would always uncheck itself (little box) on my pc and searching brings nothing afterwards.

Last edited by Coldar; 02-23-2010 at 12:50 AM.
02-23-2010, 01:07 AM
This needs the latest 3.1.3 OS.

Looks like I'll have to give this a miss.
02-23-2010, 01:25 AM
Have you no shame?

This appears to be a blatant copy of the Nintendo Game and Watch game "Octopus". I highly doubt you have permission to reproduce it.

I smell an app being pulled of Nintendo get wind of this.

Here's an image of the original game.

Looks very similar, no?
02-23-2010, 01:56 AM
OMGAH, a free LCD game? I can't get enough of these nostalgia trips! Thanks!

Game Center/OpenFeint/XBL Gamertag: Chrono Gear
Twitter/Plus+/AGON/Scoreloop/PSN ID: ChronoGear
I'm now a writer at No DPad!
IUGO VIP Code: 20752
02-23-2010, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos999 View Post
Have you no shame?

This appears to be a blatant copy of the Nintendo Game and Watch game "Octopus".
Looking at the developers version, I suspect they actually copied the Soviet version of the game. Which was indeed a blatant ripoff, right down to the hardware.

Here's a pic:

Note the different style of printed artwork. It's not an exact match, but I suspect he worked off of a recent remanufacture of these games. Here's a "Noo Pagadi" (I'll get you!) LCD game that's very popular:

Note how much closer the color scheme is.
02-23-2010, 02:53 AM
^ "Nu Pogodi" exists in the App Store since last year:
http://appshopper.com/games/eggs-from-ussr

Nintendo from 1981 with online scores!

I love those LCD retros! Living museum in your shirt pocket! Octopus has a slighty different gameplay than most Nintendos: You don't have to catch something but must avoid to be catched by octopus.

Nice little game. Thank you. (Proud owner of original and still working Nintendo Oil Panic Multiscreen.)

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)
02-23-2010, 03:02 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to mobile1up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos999 View Post
This appears to be a blatant copy of the Nintendo Game and Watch game "Octopus". I highly doubt you have permission to reproduce it. I smell an app being pulled of Nintendo get wind of this.
well - i can concur to this!

http://www.mobile1up.com/gw-octopus/

we received a cease-and-desist from Nintendo around this (and a few other of our titles) we developed for the iPhone platform. this will quickly be picked up by Nintendo. on a side note - if you want a LEGAL version of the game (with no risk of going away) you can download our "replacement" version:

http://www.mobile1up.com/gw-monster/

it has exactly the same gameplay - however, there is no more confusion that it is a Nintendo copy - it is effectively a clone now (with its own graphics etc). the game and watch series are a fun series - i own almost all of the original games, which i used to painstakingly reproduce them on the iPhone platform.

you can also get all six of our games as an individual package (and save lots)!

// Aaron Ardiri
Mobile 1UP is a proud indie developer - support us!
developer of Caveman / Caveman HD and GW Series
02-23-2010, 03:10 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to mobile1up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habakuk View Post
^ "Nu Pogodi" exists in the App Store since last year: http://appshopper.com/games/eggs-from-ussr
the issue here is that Elektronica is now defunct - or, simply dont care.

Nintendo stand up heavily to protect their intellectual property rights - even with these types of games (which, they have no intention of bringing to the platform themselves). we were even featured in retro gamer and received a 92% rating (www.mobile1up.com/press/ - for a scan of the article).

i did a lot of checking with an IP laywer; the bottom line is that if a jury (with no technical experience) has any possibility that they will say the games are the same - even from a look and feel perspective; you will lose. that is why we did a completely new graphical look to the game. just adding color isn't enough!

if you want to fight it; it'll cost you a lot of money. Nintendo will; request to Apple and start a legal process there - which will in the long run have your developer account suspended and your applications removed from sale. that is life. moving along

// Aaron Ardiri
Mobile 1UP is a proud indie developer - support us!
developer of Caveman / Caveman HD and GW Series