★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: White House Escape - Text Adventure / some graphics

02-03-2009, 02:36 AM
White House Escape - Text Adventure / some graphics

Has anybody tried this game?

AppStore Link

Says it's a text adventure with some graphics. It takes place in The White House and supposedly uses actual floor plans. Looks interesting. Curious if anybody has tried this yet...?

02-03-2009, 02:40 AM
White House Escape

I would love to try this game but it is not compatible with the first generation iPod Touch. I have contacted the developer and hope this will be corrected soon.

02-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Good morning, just wole up! Has anyone tried this yet? Or shall I just go for it
02-03-2009, 01:18 PM
This is the answer I got from the developer re: first generation iPod Touch compatibility. Does this make any sense to anybody??? I am just amazed..... He seems to be referring to the update that allows Touch users to use the App Store apps, right?

it appears that first generation device support may not be available in the near future due to to the mechanical SDK requirements. Not exactly the answer we would like to give you, but as an option perhaps you could consider the iPod Touch Second Generation upgrade from Apple as a cost effective way to extend the functionality and lifetime of your current device. In the meanwhile we will be looking at adding support for first generation devices, but there is no date.

It might be good to note that the update to take your first generation touch to second generation is now half the price of its original release ($10 instead of 20). As we understand it, this will allow you access to all second generation titles (including ours as well as other new titles on the App Store - and a quick examination showed that the bulk of new titles do require the 2.0 update). Plus there is additional functionality that the update gives you, including:

push e-mail with Microsoft Exchange support, updated language and keyboard support, searchable contacts, support for MobileMe, multiple calendars, a calculator that switches from standard to scientific when you turn the touch sideways, support for viewing a broader variety of e-mail attachments (iWork and PowerPoint files, specifically), mass delete and moving of e-mail messages, parental controls, and the ability to take a screenshot of the iPod's interface by holding the Home button and then briefly pressing the Sleep/Wake button.

The update is available from Apple through the iTunes software. Please be sure to do a complete backup before attempting any upgrade (this is true for all devices).
02-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Update: Just got another email from the developer who did as I suggested and checked the App Store application and corrected it to allow first generation Touch users to play the game. The change should show up soon. Yay!
02-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Let us know what you think of the game. I am waiting for a couple of reviews before I buy it, OK?
02-03-2009, 05:05 PM
That developer had no clue what he was talking about, kind of a funny email.
02-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Isn't it impossible to download apps without the upgrade? LOL! Strange dev. At least he fixed the problem
02-03-2009, 08:21 PM
@tangerine - thanks again for your patience. I have learned my lesson about trying to answer too many emails at once...

Like a lot of the gamers out there, I have enjoyed many classic adventure games and wanted to see them ported to a modern device in a handy pick up and play form. In doing so, I know that we may miss the mark on a few of the details along the way. That is where the feedback is so important to us.

Not trying to take your time for my market research, but let me ask everyone a couple questions, if I may.

1. Are adventures based on real locations or fictional ones more interesting? (this may depend on the adventure, true).

2. Does a demo (such as the first floor of White House Escape, for example) help with evaluating a game or considering it for purchase?

Willing to listen to all feedback on these points or any others you may have. Be to the point - we're engineers, we're used to it.

Honestly, I am not trying to sell games here. I am trying to make the games we sell better (which in the long run will sell more games. But then you probably expected that).

Thanks, and pardon the interruption,
Greg Chaffins
iAdventureGame

And yes, on most days I do not have a clue. But I have learned to cope, with varying degrees of success.
02-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
This is the answer I got from the developer re: first generation iPod Touch compatibility. Does this make any sense to anybody??? I am just amazed..... He seems to be referring to the update that allows Touch users to use the App Store apps, right?

it appears that first generation device support may not be available in the near future due to to the mechanical SDK requirements. Not exactly the answer we would like to give you, but as an option perhaps you could consider the iPod Touch Second Generation upgrade from Apple as a cost effective way to extend the functionality and lifetime of your current device. In the meanwhile we will be looking at adding support for first generation devices, but there is no date.

It might be good to note that the update to take your first generation touch to second generation is now half the price of its original release ($10 instead of 20). As we understand it, this will allow you access to all second generation titles (including ours as well as other new titles on the App Store - and a quick examination showed that the bulk of new titles do require the 2.0 update). Plus there is additional functionality that the update gives you, including:

push e-mail with Microsoft Exchange support, updated language and keyboard support, searchable contacts, support for MobileMe, multiple calendars, a calculator that switches from standard to scientific when you turn the touch sideways, support for viewing a broader variety of e-mail attachments (iWork and PowerPoint files, specifically), mass delete and moving of e-mail messages, parental controls, and the ability to take a screenshot of the iPod's interface by holding the Home button and then briefly pressing the Sleep/Wake button.

The update is available from Apple through the iTunes software. Please be sure to do a complete backup before attempting any upgrade (this is true for all devices).

Ah i know what he means... I think he is talking about firmware, and from a friend who has a touch, he had to pay $10 to allow the downloading of apps. (probably included in the price now?) not first gen/second gen ipods.