★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Blue Skies 3.2 update

02-03-2009, 06:50 AM
Blue Skies 3.2 update

*Improved rendering speed
*Greatly reduced memory requirements
*Auto switch to next best weapon when leaving base, or running out of ammo
*Fixed arcade mode bug with wrong number of enemies
*Fixed chopper sound audio volume bug when leaving base

The lite version has also been updated. It now includes a much harder level from the game as the last level. It gives you full weapons and every type of enemy. If you finish the lite version you also get to see the title screen from Rocking Pocket Games' next game, Dark Raider.

Apps: Mech Pilot, Zombies HD, Zombies The Last Stand, iFishing (and all spinoffs), Puppet Jump, Pocket Farm, Dark Raider, Blue Skies, and more! (www.RockingPocketGames.com)

Last edited by RPGGuy; 02-03-2009 at 08:45 AM.
02-03-2009, 08:37 AM
I absolutely LOVE this game, bought it when first game out before the lite one existed. Really great. The controls are spot on... it reminds me of vague memories of SWIV on the C64, although it's been awhile so it could be quite different

I'm surprised this title isn't more popular, people don't talk about it too much. Just really enjoyable I find.

One of the few early games I have that I still play quite often.

Stupid iPhone, not enough game slots! Current have installed (games, not my apps):

Blue Skies
Rolando
DinerDash
Fieldrunners
Fastlane Street Racing
Warfare Inc
Hero of Sparta
X Plane
Big Bang Board Games
SlotZ
Payback
Low Grav Racer
Brothers in Arms
Mines in Space
Dr Awesome
GForce (I prefer this to Retro, although they're both good)
iShooting Gallery (Quite fun, done by Edgar Vidal who did Warblade on PC/Amiga, still waiting on Warblade for iPhone...)
Pathways
Asphalt 4 (not played much anymore, better ones out there)
Cube (on here due to update)
Fantastic Contraption
Tiki Towers
SimCity
Billy Frontier
Spin
Brain Challenge
Bubble Bash
Bugdom 2
Chopper
Crash Kart (i don't play it)
Diamond (chinese checkers)
Archibalds Advertures
Cro Mag (don't play it)
Cubic Man
Anitmatter
Flick Fishing
Midnight Pool
Real Football 09
Blackbeard
Guitar Tour
Mouse House
Duck Duck
Enigmo
Clusterball
Expando
Hydro Tilt
Flick Bowling
Lemonade Stand
Touch Physics
Venger
Texas Hold 'Em
Lumen
Lux Deluxe
Bounce On
Nickyboom
Rick Ricketson Pro
Attack!
Defence!
Battelsky
Mouse About
Marble Worlds
Motochaser
Jellycar
Aerolite
Kroll
Labyrinth
Loopylab
Ocarina
Armado
Monkey Ball
The Creeps
Dizzy Bee
Silent Hill
Nanosaur 2
Spore
Reign of Swords
Ferarri GT
Monopoly
Dropship
Retro
Tap Tap Dance
Edge

I have 270 + apps, but can only get 120 or so on the phone

iPad 3G: The first personal computer.

02-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darwiniandude View Post
I absolutely LOVE this game, bought it when first game out before the lite one existed. Really great. The controls are spot on... it reminds me of vague memories of SWIV on the C64, although it's been awhile so it could be quite different

I'm surprised this title isn't more popular, people don't talk about it too much. Just really enjoyable I find.

Stupid iPhone, not enough game slots! Current have installed (games, not my apps):

Blue Skies
Rolando
DinerDash
Fieldrunners
Fastlane Street Racing
Warfare Inc
Hero of Sparta
X Plane
Big Bang Board Games
SlotZ
Payback
Low Grav Racer
Brothers in Arms
Mines in Space
Dr Awesome
GForce (I prefer this to Retro, although they're both good)
iShooting Gallery (Quite fun, done by Edgar Vidal who did Warblade on PC/Amiga, still waiting on Warblade for iPhone...)
Pathways
Asphalt 4 (not played much anymore, better ones out there)
Cube (on here due to update)
Fantastic Contraption
Tiki Towers
SimCity
Billy Frontier
Spin
Brain Challenge
Bubble Bash
Bugdom 2
Chopper
Crash Kart (i don't play it)
Diamond (chinese checkers)
Archibalds Advertures
Cro Mag (don't play it)
Cubic Man
Anitmatter
Flick Fishing
Midnight Pool
Real Football 09
Blackbeard
Guitar Tour
Mouse House
Duck Duck
Enigmo
Clusterball
Expando
Hydro Tilt
Flick Bowling
Lemonade Stand
Touch Physics
Venger
Texas Hold 'Em
Lumen
Lux Deluxe
Bounce On
Nickyboom
Rick Ricketson Pro
Attack!
Defence!
Battelsky
Mouse About
Marble Worlds
Motochaser
Jellycar
Aerolite
Kroll
Labyrinth
Loopylab
Ocarina
Armado
Monkey Ball
The Creeps
Dizzy Bee
Silent Hill
Nanosaur 2
Spore
Reign of Swords
Ferarri GT
Monopoly
Dropship
Retro
Tap Tap Dance
Edge

I have 270 + apps, but can only get 120 or so on the phone

HOLY S**t thats alot of games!!!

(ontopic) sweet the update is out!
02-03-2009, 10:17 AM
I actually just got this game about a week ago. I really like it. It's fun. Nothing super amazing, but I like it.

I've been away for awhile, but I'm back.
02-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darwiniandude View Post

I also bought this game waay back when it was a lot more $$, but it was worth it. It remains one of my favourite games. Even if I haven't played it for a few weeks, I'll come back to it and wonder why I ever left! (Okay, Rolando, SimCity, Edge, SlotZ Racer, etc. is why I left - but I keep coming back and loving it again!)

I think one of the reasons it's not talked about is because it's simply been around for a while. Let's face it - we love the new games! (Any one talked about Galcon in a while??)

Anyway, thanks for the update! Looking forward to the new game, too More info, perhaps???

(btw darwiniandude - why not just delete the few "I don't play this" games??)

Oy! What are you playing at!

Current favs: The Incident, Chopper 2, Doodle God, Carcassonne
Classics: iFighter, Canabalt, Meteor Blitz, Zombieville USA, Minigore
02-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Yeah the game have been around since August. The lite version has been downloaded over 800,000 times, and over 40,000 in sales. It has dropped off the charts but was very popular when it first came out.

I've learned a few things in terms of optimizing and memory usage so I've updated the game to use the new code, along with a few smaller bug fixes.

The new game, Dark Raider, is based on the Blue Skies engine and has the same kind of controls and view. Its a cross between Chronicles of Inotia, Tomb Raider, and Gauntlet and the TV series Sliders.

Instead of a helicopter you control a person and have to make your way through lost temples, searching for treasures and keys to unlock the next area while fighting off various nasties. It features dynamic lighting for atmosphere and you have to light torches as you progress through a level.

The Dark Raider can travel to parallel worlds. When you finish a 'level', you can revisit it in a parallel world and there will be slight changes that could take to you completely new areas.

I just started it a week ago so it will be 2-3 months before the game is done, but I'm pretty excited about it already.

Apps: Mech Pilot, Zombies HD, Zombies The Last Stand, iFishing (and all spinoffs), Puppet Jump, Pocket Farm, Dark Raider, Blue Skies, and more! (www.RockingPocketGames.com)
04-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Almost done? Any more info?
04-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGGuy View Post
Yeah the game have been around since August. The lite version has been downloaded over 800,000 times, and over 40,000 in sales. It has dropped off the charts but was very popular when it first came out.

I've learned a few things in terms of optimizing and memory usage so I've updated the game to use the new code, along with a few smaller bug fixes.

The new game, Dark Raider, is based on the Blue Skies engine and has the same kind of controls and view. Its a cross between Chronicles of Inotia, Tomb Raider, and Gauntlet and the TV series Sliders.

Instead of a helicopter you control a person and have to make your way through lost temples, searching for treasures and keys to unlock the next area while fighting off various nasties. It features dynamic lighting for atmosphere and you have to light torches as you progress through a level.

The Dark Raider can travel to parallel worlds. When you finish a 'level', you can revisit it in a parallel world and there will be slight changes that could take to you completely new areas.

I just started it a week ago so it will be 2-3 months before the game is done, but I'm pretty excited about it already.
I'd kill for a screenshot!! or any propaganda

Plus+ ID: Wegmans
04-12-2009, 05:22 PM
There is another thread for Dark Raider here (pics and videos):

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=5450

The game is nearing completion and hopefully will be done by the end of April.