★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: How to pass information onto users?

02-03-2009, 07:01 AM
How to pass information onto users?

I'm preparing a big update for my game, Combination [ http://www.itunes.com/app/Combination ] (end of advertising!), and have a few problems.

This update is going to make some big changes to existing users, renaming, rearranging, removing and adding levels. I'd like to explain that, and aren't sure of the best way to do that. Adding 'release notes' to the menu seems a bit blunt, but I bet most people wouldn't read the app notes in the iTunes store. What's the best way of talking to users?

Also, a couple of other questions:

1) I'd really like to know which levels people are solving and which they are having trouble with it. If there was an option which would anonymously transmit which levels you have completed back to a server, would you click it?

2) Would you feel ripped off if some levels were removed, because they are not fun / too hard, even if the total number of levels has more than doubled?

Thanks for reading this long ramble,

Chris
02-03-2009, 07:04 AM
Send a message via AIM to Sparks
I would send the data to a server, if it helps.

Ask us what levels WE like, with a poll in the app or on a website or something.

02-03-2009, 09:01 AM
I would actually not like any sort of poll or "interaction" inside of the game. I would contribute to an external poll or survey, but I'm afraid I'm probably a little more proactive than average, meaning that I think most people wouldn't bother. It's up to you, but I dislike ads in games, and I feel a "poll" might give the experience a similar feeling. Also, I'm usually not connected to the Internet when I'm playing.

Perhaps a partial solution would be a "What's New" section that one can click on to read about all the updates. A few of my games have utilized this feature, and I think it's generally a good idea. It's nothing more than a word next to "settings" or "new game" but it can contain lots of useful info.

You'll probably want to be as specific as possible in the update install notes. At least that way, people who whine about being "surprised" will have little ground to stand on. I always read the notes to see what is being updated.

On a related note, I downloaded your game over the weekend, and I really like it. I can't comment much because I haven't played too many rounds. I really just played a couple games to get my feet wet.
02-03-2009, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJefferson View Post
2) Would you feel ripped off if some levels were removed, because they are not fun / too hard, even if the total number of levels has more than doubled?
Is this your opinion, or have some users told you that these particular levels are terrible?
If you have a few levels that are "too hard" I wouldn't think that's too much of a problem. If anything it might keep people playing longer, trying to beat a couple of elusive levels that are a bit hard...

If you feel the quality of the levels are a LOT worse than your others (and bring down the overall quality of the game) then remove them, otherwise I'd keep them if they're not causing any harm.

Personally as a player I wouldn't feel ripped off if a few bad levels were gone and replaced with many more better levels.
02-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Quote:
This update is going to make some big changes to existing users, renaming, rearranging, removing and adding levels. I'd like to explain that, and aren't sure of the best way to do that. Adding 'release notes' to the menu seems a bit blunt, but I bet most people wouldn't read the app notes in the iTunes store. What's the best way of talking to users?
I added a What's New page that pops up on the first run of any update. Nobody has complained yet.
02-03-2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I'll go with a screen that pops up on update, and can then be accessed from the title screen.

There were a few levels which were far too hard for the place, so I think I'll rearrange. Hopefully by just asking, I can get users to tell me if there are any levels they are having particular trouble with.
02-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Quote:
1) I'd really like to know which levels people are solving and which they are having trouble with it. If there was an option which would anonymously transmit which levels you have completed back to a server, would you click it?
Yes, I would click the button.

Quote:
Yes, I would feel ripped off.

Put the levels in a carder category or something, but don't remove them entirely. I'd rather have a handful of good challenging levels than an abundance of levels I can blow right though.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc
02-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donburns99 View Post
Yes, I would click the button.

Yes, I would feel ripped off.

Put the levels in a carder category or something, but don't remove them entirely. I'd rather have a handful of good challenging levels than an abundance of levels I can blow right though.
Thanks!

Don't worry about a lack of challenging levels. As far as I'm aware, no-one has managed to complete more than one of the SuperHard levels. In fact, I think I probably made those far too hard! I'll leave them, but hope people don't get too annoyed with their stupid difficulty.
02-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Quote:
To notify users I would list the changes in the AppStore description and I would add a What's New button to the main menu of the game or a once off message screen that is seen the first time a user starts the game after the update.

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
I wouldn't feel ripped off but I would be annoyed if I had been trying to complete any of those levels. Maybe create a new level that includes these puzzles.
02-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Quote:
As far as I'm aware, no-one has managed to complete more than one of the SuperHard levels. In fact, I think I probably made those far too hard! I'll leave them, but hope people don't get too annoyed with their stupid difficulty.
Just bought this app because I like games that are actually challenging. And thought this would be good if you don't think people can even do them.

I've done a couple of the super hard levels already....
Which ones are you saying are ridiculously hard? (I'd like to concentrate on those ones)

I started with the last one (level 18) thinking it be the most difficult... lol took about 10 min....
But I am a puzzle person

Twitter: @Zincous

Last edited by Zincous; 02-04-2009 at 12:21 AM.