★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: iPhone RTS - what are they waiting for?

10-06-2008, 06:26 PM
iPhone RTS - what are they waiting for?

Hey guys. There's something I've been mulling about for a while now, and I guess a board like this is the perfect place to let it all out.

I've had an ipod touch since launch, and I just bought the iPhone 3G a month ago. I think at this point it's safe to say that the platform lends itself very well to mobile gaming. I have a DS and a PSP as well, and while the lack of buttons does make it harder for the device to compete with dedicated gaming machines, some of the unique features in the iPhone (accelerometer, online connectivity, multitouch interface) definitely make up for it.

I have to admit I was very skeptical when Apple started pushing the touch and the iPhone as legitimate alternatives to the DS and the PSP, but more and more it seems that they are actually managing to pull it off.

So.

You would think that with such a great touch screen, a real time strategy game would be a no-brainer. Alas, as is with the Nintendo DS, no studios have yet stepped up to the plate to create or port an existing RTS title for the iPhone/ipod Touch. I'd favor an entirely new game altogether, of course (can you imagine a successful franchise being born on the iPhone? That WOULD be something) , but at this point I'd even settle for a port of one of the classics.

Being a huuuge fan of the genre, I must say that a decent real time strategy game is SORELY missing. I think that there are no doubts as to whether the system can pull it off.

What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited by IzzyNobre; 10-06-2008 at 06:32 PM.
10-06-2008, 06:34 PM
it takes a good while to program a game like this to any length, give it time

but i'll give you something to drool over as there is already one in development

give me a second to find it

what do you think this will do to the battery, like fieldrunners drains the battery pretty fast...
so you would have to play by an outlet or get a solio or something...hopefully it allows resume state

Last edited by mek; 10-06-2008 at 06:47 PM.

10-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Is it Warfare Inc, perchance?

I used to play that A LOT on my old Palm TX. It's a very decent clone of Command and Conquer; I noticed the developer's website mentions it's coming to the ipod touch/iPhone, but no one else in the entire internet says a word about it, so... I don't know how much stock I can put on those guys
10-06-2008, 06:37 PM

Warfare Inc. by spiffcode will be the first full-on RTS game for the iPhone, while Galcon was definitely a great start for the RTS genre on the iPhone, it was by no means a complete RTS in comparison to its desktop counterparts. Warefare Inc. will take the RTS genre on the iPhone to the next level, here’s what the game will include.

Features

* 14 single player missions
* 6 bonus missions
* Up to 4 players can play head-to-head on 21 multiplayer maps
* Mission editor for creating new single and multiplayer missions
* Several dozen free user-contributed missions available online
* 2 alien landscapes / 11 military units / 11 building types
* 4 channel audio - digitized sound effects
* Stunning graphics - color and grayscale, low and high resolution supported, portriat and landscape where possible.

[Update] Scott Lu of spiffcode, dropped a comment to clarify what multiplayer options will be available to iPhone gamers. Warfare Incorporated will include multiplayer over Internet WiFi, 3G and EDGE. I was just hoping for multiplayer over Internet WiFi, I didn’t expect they would include 3G and EDGE as well, definitely looking forward to getting my RTS fix while on the move. (Thanks Scott)

Back Story

“Warfare Incorporated is set in a future ruled by super corporations engaged in no-holds-barred competition for the resources of the galaxy. The action centers around the newly discovered planet Icarus with its astounding mineral wealth and mysterious alien relics. Players take the role of a junior executive at the underdog ACME Exploration Corporation, discoverer of Icarus, and work their way up the corporate ladder by demonstrating their strategic and tactical skills in a campaign of increasingly challenging missions. Early missions concentrate on resource gathering and combat with ACME’s chief rival OMNI Industries and as the game develops other factions and the power of the alien technologies come into play.”

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JcwLWGqpft8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&fs=1"> </param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JcwLWGqpft8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

or here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcwLWGqpft8

No release date has been given by spiffcode as of yet, but be sure to keep an eye out for this highly anticipated title.

http://www.warfareincorporated.com/
10-06-2008, 06:39 PM
I have to agree that the iPhone/Touch's interface is perfect for such a game. Who needs a mouse when you have the ability to touch the screen and interact with the objects!! Most of the time, these type of games don't even translate well to "traditional" platforms as the few buttons available just don't feel right, and there's still too much scrolling that needs to be done.
So, I completely agree that the iPhone/Touch would be a great place for a RTS game.
10-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyNobre View Post
Hey guys. There's something I've been mulling about for a while now, and I guess a board like this is the perfect place to let it all out.

I've had an ipod touch since launch, and I just bought the iPhone 3G a month ago. I think at this point it's safe to say that the platform lends itself very well to mobile gaming. I have a DS and a PSP as well, and while the lack of buttons does make it harder for the device to compete with dedicated gaming machines, some of the unique features in the iPhone (accelerometer, online connectivity, multitouch interface) definitely make up for it.

I have to admit I was very skeptical when Apple started pushing the touch and the iPhone as legitimate alternatives to the DS and the PSP, but more and more it seems that they are actually managing to pull it off.

So.

You would think that with such a great touch screen, a real time strategy game would be a no-brainer. Alas, as is with the Nintendo DS, no studios have yet stepped up to the plate to create or port an existing RTS title for the iPhone/ipod Touch. I'd favor a entirely new game, but I'd settle for a port of one of the classics.

Being a huuuge fan of the genre, I must say that a decent real time strategy game is SORELY missing. I think that there are no doubts as to whether the system can pull it off.

What are your thoughts on this?
I know of at least one RTS game that is being made right now

However the SDK has only been available for 3 months.

You're talking about a game which if you want done correctly (I sure do) needs at least 6 months to make. They need to design everything, figure out an all touch UI, figure out how to keep it from crashing with only 500mb of system memory, then code the thing.

That's a LOT of work. Give it time
10-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Hehehe, thought so

If they put the same amount of production values that could be found in the pocket PC/palm OS version of the game, I'll be all over this the day it comes out.

Also, the better the quality in this game, the more other softhouses will notice that the RTS genre is doable on the iPhone. The reason you don't see studios trying to bring RTSs to the DS is because they tried SO many strategy games on the system, and failed horribly.
10-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Is it Warfare Inc, perchance?

I used to play that A LOT on my old Palm TX. It's a very decent clone of Command and Conquer; I noticed the developer's website mentions it's coming to the ipod touch/iPhone, but no one else in the entire internet says a word about it, so... I don't know how much stock I can put on those guys
yes it is...i always forget the name of it
hopefully it will be amazing..and if it is the first one to market, yay, if not, the more the better

EA , a la westwood, should get on porting or createing an original title for the platform...stop throwing money @ a C&C fps and throw it at this platform

how much would be people be willing to spend on such a title? 10 bucks, 20, 50?
10-06-2008, 06:49 PM
I'll can assure you right now that if EA decided to quit porting the same game to every single console (regardless of whether or not the game works on a particular console, this is the "EA Way") and dedicated itself to making a decent port of the original Command and Conquer for the iPhone, I'd gladly pay upwards to 20 dollars for it.

You know what? I don't even ask for multiplayer capabilities. Just gimme good old Command and Conquer and I can garantee you my battery will NEVER last more than a full day

I currently play Warcraft 2 and Command and Conquer Red Alert on my PSP; it works very nicely, but it would be so much better to have that on the one device I ALWAYS carry with me. Walking around with both an iPhone AND a PSP gets cumbersome sometimes.
10-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Quote:
I'll can assure you right now that if EA decided to quit porting the same game to every single console (regardless of whether or not the game works on a particular console, this is the "EA Way") and dedicated itself to making a decent port of the original Command and Conquer for the iPhone, I'd gladly pay upwards to 20 dollars for it.

You know what? I don't even ask for multiplayer capabilities. Just gimme good old Command and Conquer and I can garantee you my battery will NEVER last more than a full day

I currently play Warcraft 2 and Command and Conquer Red Alert on my PSP; it works very nicely, but it would be so much better to have that on the one device I ALWAYS carry with me. Walking around with both an iPhone AND a PSP gets cumbersome sometimes.
they have Warcraft 2 and Command and Conquer Red for the PSP, damn i had no idea...well one because i dont have a PSP

someone needs to persuade blizzard or EA that they should make a RTS, i'd be okay if they even used the original C&C graphics or the original warcraft graphics, as long as it played well