★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Dungeon Solitaire

02-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Dungeon Solitaire

Im not sure how to make the fancy page with all the nice pics, but I just saw this in the App Store...

Looks interesting, anyone want to TOFTT?

Last edited by Prab; 02-25-2010 at 11:49 AM.
02-25-2010, 11:47 AM
Does look interesting, I'd need to know more about the gameplay, no time to TOFTT games at the moment (the music from Cookie Quest is still ringing in my ears!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!

Last edited by drelbs; 02-25-2010 at 11:50 AM.

02-25-2010, 01:23 PM
TOFFTed it!

Impressions in a few minutes.

Btw., how do I get to the ranks of the TOFFTing kings?
Already had a bunch of TOFFTs...

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
02-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Ok, here we go!
This is a strategic card game with a graphical very good presentation, the cards art style is rough, straight forward and very appealing, the soundtrack is epic.

The name "solitaire" fits well, it is like playing solitaire with yourself. Rules itself are very easy to understand, but the game itself seems hard to master.
There is a nice done and helpful Tutorial included.

DS has full Open Feint support and alot of Archievements to master.

Basically, this game comes with 60 cards, including the first small free expansion.
To add variety to the game, you can buy two more Expansion Sets for each 0.99$, each pack has 7 new cards and is themed. But the first card set will last for a while without getting boring quick, I guess.

I don't regret buying it.

This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
02-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the TOFTT, Vovin - can you summarize the gameplay?

Quote:
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
02-25-2010, 02:38 PM
yeah, i'd like to hear how the game is played. If it's more like Magic/Orions, I'm interested. If it's more like Urban Legends/Moonga, not so much. Any videos?
02-25-2010, 02:47 PM
I can't take videos, but here's a quick gameplay summary:

It's a card game, kinda like a simplified version of Magic: The Gathering coupled with solitaire. The point is to fill up the right-hand hero slots before the left-hand monster slots fill up - once the enemy slots fill up, any additional monsters you draw damages the castle (3 hits and game over). When a monster is put next to a hero, they battle (you see the cards rush together and collide), and the winner is the one where both stats are higher than the other. If they tie, one can have a tie-modifier that bumps the opponent up or down, causing more fights in a chain reaction. You can also draw traps which go in empty slots and can weaken heroes or monsters, treasures which buff monsters up but make them worth a lot more gold (the game's score), items to buff your heroes, and potions that seem to do random things (if you play with the potions expansion). Treasures, items, and potions can go into a separate "armory" pile if you don't want to use them immediately, and then used whenever you want, but you can only use the top card.
02-25-2010, 02:49 PM
Yes, I just got used to it:

DS is a card drawing game and the setting takes place right under your castle, in your dungeons. You have basically one screen, the playing field.
With your castle above, there are 2 x 5 slots, your card pile, the armoury and the field of your actual card draw.

The goal of the game:

you have to protect your castle from monsters, who are swarming your dungeon levels, trying to climb up and destroy your previous home.

You start the round by drawing a card, the types are:

- Monster
- Hero
- trap
- stat enhancing cards (like weapons, armour, magic items)
- treasure cards

The cards come at random.

You have to use your brain and wits now to fill the hero slots before the monster slots are filled and they Start damaging your castle (your castle has 2 defense points, the third hit destroys it).

It is a nice game and a real surprise how good it works.
I'd compare it to Swords & Poker in terms of "surprisingly good & unique".

The only disadvantage: sometimes, the monster cards come too quick and you have no chance defending your castle. But solitaire players know, that not every game works out fine - so they just start over with a new game.

Last edited by Vovin; 02-25-2010 at 03:09 PM.
02-25-2010, 02:53 PM
Thanks, DreamPod - am I correct in assuming that you are playing all these cards, drawn one at a time? (Hence, solitaire?)

Quote:
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
02-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Yeah - you draw all these cards, including the monsters, from the deck, and choose the placement for all of them (so you choose whether to put that 6-6 ice dragon next to your little 1-3 dude or not)