★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Pirates and Dragons

02-03-2009, 09:12 AM
Pirates and Dragons

What is it (only 2 screens)?
http://appshopper.com/games/pirates-and-dragons
02-03-2009, 12:20 PM
There's a web version. It seems to start slow, but looks like it might get more fun as it goes.

http://www.subzerodevelopment.co.uk/...ndDragons.html

02-03-2009, 04:07 PM
Is it like Pirates: Sea Battle 2?
02-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
Is it like Pirates: Sea Battle 2?
You could make a comparison between them. Firing is pretty much the same in both games. This one is 3D and seems to have a story and different types of levels. I only tried the online game for two levels, though.
02-03-2009, 05:21 PM
It looks interesting, but I'll wait for some more reviews or a lite version. Even at just 0.99, it's nice to know what you're buying There isn't anything else up at the dev's website either: http://subzerodevelopment.co.uk/

Last edited by Sbell42; 02-03-2009 at 05:24 PM.
02-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Is it me or are Unity games causing developers to release crap games? Just because its easy to create something 3D?
02-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phi6 View Post
Is it me or are Unity games causing developers to release crap games? Just because its easy to create something 3D?
It's not just you. I heard Unity is free and it obviously does a great job. I'm sure that has everything to do with it. Monospace is a good one, though. Paper Pilot is fun, even though they cut corners(every corner) on the whole level design aspect.
02-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYou View Post
It's not just you. I heard Unity is free and it obviously does a great job. I'm sure that has everything to do with it. Monospace is a good one, though. Paper Pilot is fun, even though they cut corners(every corner) on the whole level design aspect.
Unity isn't free! It's bloody expensive
02-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phi6 View Post
Unity isn't free! It's bloody expensive
Yeah, I have crappy sources
02-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Be warned, this is a bit of a rant! I was annoyed by this!

I must confess that when I saw this game yesterday I was pretty *darn* annoyed. The description gives zero information about gameplay.

"3d Action adventure Game packed with state of the art graphics great puzzles and fast paced real time action
a must download for Gamers!!"

It tells me absolutely nothing about how to play. I don't know what type of puzzles are involved. Is it the same type of puzzle all the way through or does the type of puzzle change? Is the game controlled by tilt or touch? What about the structure of the game - are there different levels? Are any levels timed? The first screen shot says "Buoy 2 hit!!" and "Ship Damage!" There is also a pirate ship on the screen. Do I play the pirate ship? Did the ship run into the buoy or did it fire a cannon at it? Is the purpose of the game to navigate around buoys or to shot cannon balls at buoys and earn points by hitting them? I really wanted to know. So then I visited the developers website. It consists of one page only. On it is a picture of a pirate ship, the developers email address and a phone number. No information about the game. By this time I was thinking that if the developer can't be bothered to describe the game in any useful way then I can't be bothered wasting my time emailing them or making an International call to the UK!

I was looking at this game because I liked the sound of the name. Pirates and Dragons sounds like a fun combination. I looked at the website because I was wanting to know more about the puzzles in the game (I'm a puzzle lover). But the lack of information is really very annoying. So any developers out there take note. At the very least you should be providing your potential customers with some information about the gameplay for your game. Imagine you are the customer. Ask yourself what you would want to know about a game you have never heard of before. You are interested enough to look at the AppStore page for the game and to visit the developers website. What would you want to know about the game before you buy it? Once you have asked yourself that question then put the information in the AppStore description and on your website!

Okay I'm done now... end of rant!