★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What language did you code in?

02-03-2009, 10:04 AM
What language did you code in?

Hi, I'm wondering what type of language you used to code your game. Whether it me C++,C,Xcode,etc......

I'm a future wanna be iphone and ipod touch developer soo I'm just wondering which code you used.
02-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Objective C, which is what you'll find most people using. And you have to use XCode, as it's the only environment you can create the app and interact with the iPhone with.

02-03-2009, 10:27 AM
If you use a pre-made engine like Unity you can use some other languages like javascript but it's limited to that game engine so it will never be as pure as direct code.

It's a easier way to start at least.

3D modelling, design and sequential artist / GameCenter ID: Diab
02-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourofl10 View Post
Whether it me C++,C,Xcode,etc......
I have just started learning Objective C without any knowledge of C, and am doing just fine. Just so you are aware, Xcode is not a language. As mentioned above, it is the app/environment that you use to create your iPhone or Mac apps. There is also another app that comes with it called Interface Builder. Xcode is used for all the coding, such as what buttons do, and what the app actually does. Interface Builder is used to create your views/screens such as menus etc.
02-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe View Post
I have just started learning Objective C without any knowledge of C, and am doing just fine. Just so you are aware, Xcode is not a language. As mentioned above, it is the app/environment that you use to create your iPhone or Mac apps. There is also another app that comes with it called Interface Builder. Xcode is used for all the coding, such as what buttons do, and what the app actually does. Interface Builder is used to create your views/screens such as menus etc.
Ohh thanks!!!

(I'm new to this) Sorry
02-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourofl10 View Post
(I'm new to this) Sorry
Don't apologize. I had to learn all this too only a couple of weeks ago.
02-03-2009, 12:00 PM
We use a mixture of Obj-C, C++ and XML to power our games.

I've made a lot of games. You've played them.
02-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippieman View Post
We use a mixture of Obj-C, C++ and XML to power our games.
Out of interest, is speed affected when applying different languages- for example, could a function, depending on what it does of course, run faster with Objective C than with C++?
02-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe View Post
Out of interest, is speed affected when applying different languages- for example, could a function, depending on what it does of course, run faster with Objective C than with C++?
I guess I'm one of the only people that uses only C++( apart from a few unavoidable objective-c functions to interface with the OS ). They will both run at the same speed, as they are both compiled to machine code.

Kevin Calderone - @bovinedragon
Trace 2 is Out!
02-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinedragon View Post
I guess I'm one of the only people that uses only C++( apart from a few unavoidable objective-c functions to interface with the OS ). They will both run at the same speed, as they are both compiled to machine code.
Thanks for the confirmation. So it boils down to personal preference then, yes?