★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Interceptor

10-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Interceptor

Anyone play this game and have any feedback on it?

In fact, if anyone has both Interceptor and Missile Command to compare that would be even better, but I'm more inclined to look at Interceptor due to the much more appealing price at the moment.
Thanks in advance.
10-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charley View Post

In fact, if anyone has both Interceptor and Missile Command to compare that would be even better, but I'm more inclined to look at Interceptor due to the much more appealing price at the moment.
Thanks in advance.
I really like both of them equally!

Missile Command I actually play in the classic mode cause I like the original graphics. I like Interceptor cause I feel it's a slower paced game that is more focused on strategy.

Although they look alike in the screen shots they play differently. You can't go wrong either way. You can get interceptor and help a dev or get missile command and see if the dev of interceptor lowers the price (It's more likely a dev will lower a price than a big company)

Missile Command has three cannons on the ground with 12 shots each. You tap to fire a missile from the nearest tower. You fire on Satellites, Space ships, missiles, and those damn red bombs that you have to hit dead on. You get bonus points for combos and all the shots that aren't fired.

Interceptor has no cannons. You tap the screen and it creates a small circle that expands slowly outward. This changes the strategy a LOT. You don't want to hit the missiles dead on, you want to tap in front of it to let the circle expand and hopefully catch a few in order to save ammo.

I hope that helps!

10-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegantTnT View Post
Interceptor has no cannons. You tap the screen and it creates a small circle that expands slowly outward. This changes the strategy a LOT. You don't want to hit the missiles dead on, you want to tap in front of it to let the circle expand and hopefully catch a few in order to save ammo.

I hope that helps!
I don't quite how what you are describing here is different from Missile Command? In Missile Command you have to lead shots and you try to shoot down more then one missile with one shot in order to save ammo. That's always been the case. Mind you, I haven't played the iPhone version. If that isn't how Missile Command for the iPhone plays, then there is something terribly wrong with it.
10-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
I don't quite how what you are describing here is different from Missile Command? In Missile Command you have to lead shots and you try to shoot down more then one missile with one shot in order to save ammo. That's always been the case. Mind you, I haven't played the iPhone version. If that isn't how Missile Command for the iPhone plays, then there is something terribly wrong with it.
oh, in missile command you tap and a missile fires out and that why you fire in front of your target. The missiles move fast so the lead doesn't have to be long.

In interceptor when you tap it makes a small "bubble" which is smaller than your fingertip. It then expands slowly. If you don't get a good lead the bubble won't expand in time and the missile will fly past unless you created the bubble exactly on the missile's trajectory (and it's VERY difficult to do that)

I hope that clears it up but it's kind of hard to explain
10-06-2008, 09:39 PM
I think it is more likely a small developer will be receptive to feedback about their game, especially criticism. As a result, updates are more likely. Seems to me the big developers just want to move on to the next project to maximize their return.

I've been holding back on buying either of the 2 but I think I'll go ahead and get Interceptor. It's funny how I have to think a bit before buying a .99 cent game, but I do.
10-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charley View Post

Thanks in advance.
I've had Missile Command and Interceptor since they came out and just today I bought Surface to Air Mayhem.

Of all the 3 Interceptor is the least polished and is the one I never play... It seems like it was made by just one guy and it's not horrible but I just don't enjoy it as much as the others.

Missile command might be the most polished but it's also the most expensive and also just a rehash of the same game thats been around since the arcades.

Surface to Air Mayhem is my favorite of the 3, falls right into the middle price range, has probably the best art, plus weapon powerups and different enemy types. It has online leaderboards, those are what really keep me going back to it.
10-07-2008, 07:59 AM
@ Voltarion

Thanks for mentioning Surface to air Mayhem. I was actually wondering if it was "related" to these type of games. It does seem to be the most modern take on it, kind of makes me think of Block Breaker Deluxe 2 in the breakout genre...
I'll keep the suggestion in mind.
Much appreciated to everyone who provided comments