★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Hexen II iPhone Port

02-26-2010, 05:12 AM
Hexen II iPhone Port

Story on this isn't going to be on the front page for another few hours, but for the time being feast your eyes on this, old school FPS fans...!

02-26-2010, 05:17 AM
niiiice! i cant wait!

Currently Playing: Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, Real Racing, Sonic 2
Currently Awaiting: Sonic The Hedgehog 4
Beta Tested: Hit'n'Run, Ricochet Infinity, Blade Battle, Icarus-X, Zenonia 2
Game Center: Dewayne

02-26-2010, 05:22 AM
Good news!!! Hexen was incredibly atmospheric game with beautiful music.
02-26-2010, 05:25 AM
Awesome! I was originally hoping for a Hexen 1 port, but this is better!
02-26-2010, 08:08 AM
Awesome indeed, provided the controls work well. Wish they'd have added a mini-map, though, for us directionally challenged....

How much of an RPG element does the game have, BTW? And how is the story?

Favorites: Puzzle Quest, The Quest, Sway, Glyder, Reign of Swords, Flight of the Amazon Queen
02-26-2010, 08:22 AM
I remember playing this... It always made the laptop that I played it on get really warm, I think. Oh, the great power of pentium 3 laptops!
02-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isilel View Post
Awesome indeed, provided the controls work well. Wish they'd have added a mini-map, though, for us directionally challenged....

How much of an RPG element does the game have, BTW? And how is the story?
Like Hexen 1, it lets you select from a list of characters to play. It has levelin up for hp and mana, it has inventory, you have to go looting enemies to find items needed to advance in the game. The story is pretty minimal, it's a continuation of Hexen 1 and Heretic. You fight the remaining Serpent Riders that werent killed in the earlier games.

BTW, the developers seemed to have made this port on their own, unofficially without asking Activision. Seems more like some guy's game porting google code project. Maybe they wanted to attract Activision's attention.
02-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Man, if this, Hexen, Doom II, Quake, Quake II, and Blood come out, my favorite old school FPS iPhone port collection will be complete. And I know Doom II and Quake are just a matter of time (probably Quake II as well). All we need now is someone to announce Blood. Preferably not the team that did the Duke 3d port.
02-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
Man, if this, Hexen, Doom II, Quake, Quake II, and Blood come out, my favorite old school FPS iPhone port collection will be complete. And I know Doom II and Quake are just a matter of time (probably Quake II as well). All we need now is someone to announce Blood. Preferably not the team that did the Duke 3d port.
What about redneck rampage, strife, witchaven, Heretic II and such?
02-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalcopy View Post
What about redneck rampage, strife, witchaven, Heretic II and such?
Ooh, forgot about Heretic/Heretic II. Wasn't a big fan of Redneck Rampage, Strife or Witchaven. I also forgot about Shadow Warrior.

And honestly... what are the chances of someone else doing a Duke 3d port with the music/secret levels intact and controls that actually work? If that was possible, it'd be on my wish list as well.