★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: sprimp
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 19.5 MB
  • Version: 1.1.1
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating: 4 (1)
App description: The Full Experience of Denizen is now free!

Guide Xio on his journey through the wonders of the Domain. This special world has been taken over by rogue software with the sole intention of corrupting and destroying. Stop them from propagating any longer and free the Domain! As Xio, you are the only one with the power to do so...

Key features:

Take control - Denizen showcases unique multi touch controls that provide fluid and rich gameplay. Use the virtual analog stick to control Xio's movement. Tap on enemies to attack them, or swipe through multiple enemies to unleash your combo attack, get combos for higher scores, and get out of tight spots.

Survive - Blast your way through 24 intense, dynamic and vibrant levels. Defend yourself against waves of over 20 types of attacking enemies, all with their own abilities, and 24 end of level bosses. Become immersed in Denizens stylish and fresh 3D environments, vivid sound effects and its exceptional licensed soundtrack. You can also listen to your own music library while playing.

Collect - Gather the nodes that are scattered throughout the game 15 levels to earn additional points. Go through the gates in order to replenish your lost energy and become invincible to attacks.

Experience - Earn badges by completing challenges within the game. Collect them all to truly master the game. Earn high scores and upload them to the Denizen global leader boards.

Showcases - Multi touch controls and online connectivity with leader boards.
Localization - Play Denizen in English and French.

goiMot's comments:

02-26-2010, 09:27 AM
Just picked it up. Will post impressions later today.

02-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Looking forward to impressions, squarezero.
02-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Game Impressions

I've only gone through the first couple of levels, so these are early impressions. First of all, the video does not do justice to the game: the colors are vibrant, the cellshaded, abstract style is fresh, and the music is very good ambient electronica (you can also play your own music). Actually, one of the nicest things about the game is how it integrates music into gameplay: it's not quite a rhythm game, but as you tap-to-shoot down enemies they each make their own distinctive sound that just fits with the overall soundtrack (you can also swipe across them for combos). The virtual stick control is good, though you have to wonder why there's not an option for accelerometer control.

Compared to ExZeus, Denizen is almost serene, at least in the first few levels. That would be my main complaint about the game right now; the pace could be faster. You are ranked by performance and there are achievements, but I do wish there had been more danger from the beginning. Levels are fairly short, but with achievements replay is encouraged. All in all, this is a nice shooter/music game hybrid.
02-26-2010, 03:17 PM
So the game is rather short overall? or is it just the first few levels?

Also how many achievements are there?
02-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Reminding me of REZ.
Still not sure....

{ Permanently addicted to: 868-HACK }
I perform. Therefore I am. You should book me.
..::: METROCCOLIS :::..
02-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zztfox View Post
So the game is rather short overall? or is it just the first few levels?

Also how many achievements are there?
I've gone through the first area (@elysium), and each level was fairly short. There's a total of 15 of them; I imagine that as they get tougher it will take longer to go through them. Regardless, I can't imagine that there's more than a couple of hours of original content --- though, as I said earlier, replaying is encouraged (and pretty satisfying).

There seem to be 15 different badges/achievements.
02-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Wait, there are 15 Worlds each with a few smaller levels apiece?

If that is the case, then I am buying it!! I originally thought there were only 15 levels total.
02-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zztfox View Post
Wait, there are 15 Worlds each with a few smaller levels apiece?

If that is the case, then I am buying it!! I originally thought there were only 15 levels total.
15 levels total, spread across 5 worlds.
02-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Oh, okay there are only 15 levels...

May still get it though.