★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Westward

02-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Westward

This looks like it could be a winner. As always, there's a chance it's a complete failure, but this looks pretty polished.

[App Store Link, $4,99]

Quote:
Experience the life of a Frontier settler in the wild, rough and tumble world of Westward!

Based on the hit PC game by Sandlot Games, Westward is a fun real-time strategy game where you control the destiny of the Wild West by building thriving towns, exploring unchartered plains, dense forests and rocky canyons and guiding settlers to safety and success. Manage your resources and deal with environmental disasters like fire and drought, all while following the trail of the Mad Russian, a con artist extraordinaire, who must be brought to justice before he can cheat anyone else out of their life savings.

Game features:
-Guide your townsfolk to make camp and build communities
-Explore 4 different locations over more than 20 levels
-Create and customize towns using more than 25 types of building
-Includes additional side levels for extra Frontier fun

Westward includes an authentic music soundtrack, or you can turn it off and play your own music with the sound effects on or off.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by salsamd; 02-04-2009 at 07:30 PM. Reason: bb code - > hq (allows full screen view)
02-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Yeah I just spotted this on AppShopper
It looks excellent, has anyone tried it yet?

02-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Send a message via AIM to s0mah Send a message via Yahoo to s0mah
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYou View Post
This looks like it could be a winner. As always, there's a chance it's a complete failure, but this looks pretty polished.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=303320033&mt=8

YouTube: video

At first glance, I thought the description was detailing an Oregon Trail clone. After recovering from a million orgasms, I realized that I was reading wrong. App still looks cool though, and I'll prob d/l and review after I get done cleaning my pants. I mean, if no one has plunged or whatever.

ps

I'm really in class.

twitter @ here
teh myspace @ &here
02-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Send a message via AIM to superbad
looks great. will definitely check it out. i'll keep you guys posted

PLEASE Visit The APPera | Follow Me Superbad24 | Follow The APPera Tweets
LOST. Let Go. Move On. Zing!
**GO LAKERS **
02-03-2009, 01:33 PM
The game sounds interesting. I checked out the game in the App Store before finding this thread and watching this video...which is lucky for the dev. If I'd seen the vid first I never would have looked in the store because this is the worst promotional video I have ever seen. BOOOOring! Friendly advice to the devs...make a new vid! The store icon isn't too intriguing either.

The game does actually look pretty good. I recommend people skip the vid and just follow the link and read the description and check the screenies there. Graphics look really nice
02-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Seems like a fun little game, if only they didn't use fugly text for the bottom menus and such. Might pick this one up before my car trip soon if some people post some positive impressions

"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"- The master himself, Dr. Seuss
02-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Youtube goes slow on my itouch but from what I saw, it looks good.

But is it similar to the Settlers on PC? Where you build mines and food shops to help your villagers, then you make an army and go do the quests? If so I want it! Any idea how long it lasts?

They should make The Settlers for iTouch! That'd be awesome

Last edited by DanM; 02-03-2009 at 01:46 PM.
02-03-2009, 01:45 PM
looks pretty good and sort of like virtual villagers gameplay wise
02-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM View Post
But is it similar to the Settlers on PC? Where you build mines and food shops to help your villagers, then you make an army and go do the quests? If so I want it! Any idea how long it lasts?
You're working on a story actually, rebuilding a town (you have to collect wood for that), making a camp in the forest, making a town successfull. Making a town successfull depends on several things, you will have new people in your town and you have to give them a house and a job, but a house can only hold so many people, and only so many people can do a job. (So you can build more houses for people to live in, or more farms etc. for people to work in.) You earn money to build these new facilities, do assignments (missions, quests) to progress in the story, and keep away the bad guys.

I've played the Pocket PC (Windows Mobile) version of this quite some time ago but at that time I was betatesting many games, so this game didn't get the attention it should have gotten (if I had more time for it). It's not a fast action game. I can't estimate how long it will take you to complete it since I never completed it.

Anyway - for some gameplay impressions you should know that you can go here:
http://www.astraware.com/westward/
Then pick a platform on the right, and see if there are any reviews for that platform (in the left sidebar, "Press Reviews").

Stefan
02-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Ah, I was on their website but didn't see review section, will check it now. Must be a good game if its been ported to many systems though