★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: "Doodle Blast! may be the best looking doodle game ever." [148apps]
Featured by Apple as "Best Doodle Games", "What's HOT", and "New and Noteworthy"!
GAME VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhmM1ETbJCE

7 days, 1 drawing - follow the Doodle Blast! story: http://doodleblast.blogspot.com

All updates for this game are FREE.

REVIEWS:
"Remember drawing spaceships as a kid and then filling every available bit of their surface areas with guns? This is the tank equivalent! Photos and videos do not do this game justice. You have to play it and control the awesome firepower to really appreciate it."

"This game will be BIG, get it now, you won't regret it"

"Now my app of choice when demo-ing the iPhone games capability"

"Nothing but pure violence and mayhem! Great way to spend a few minutes on the way home on BART... Just don't miss your stop!"

A MUST-HAVE for all CRUSH-EVERYTHING-IN-YOUR-PATH enthusiasts!

BLAST your way through this doodle-filled world with an ever-changing TOWER OF GUNS precariously attached to the top of your TANK. Blow up choppers, target jets, explode jeeps, and flatten whole armies of enemy foot soldiers. How far can you make it before your own METAL BEAST gives out?

Game features:

11 unique weapons from heavy-weight machine guns to rocket launchers!
6 different types of foes to battle, plus a sneaky assassin squad to keep you on your toes!
Flickable enemy soldiers flick them up and shoot them mid-air!
Multi-touch support shoot with all your fingers!
Adaptive gameplay that changes based on your strategy to increase replay value - every game is different!
Full physics engine brings the clanking and rattling to a new level of realism!
Global scores compare your skills with others around the world!
Twitter support share your AWESOME DESTRUCTION skills with your friends!

gamecollage's comments:
Doodle Blast! - a new game from the stupendous development team that brought you Pop Fizz, iFlyer, Lemonade Jim, Meter Maid Madness, and Pele Ukulele IS OUT TODAY!

A MUST-HAVE for all CRUSH-EVERYTHING-IN-YOUR-PATH enthusiasts!

BLAST your way through this doodle-filled world with an ever-changing TOWER OF GUNS precariously attached to the top of your TANK. Blow up choppers, target jets, explode jeeps, and flatten whole armies of enemy foot soldiers. How far can you make it before your own METAL BEAST gives out?

Game features:
  • 11 unique weapons from heavy-weight machine guns to rocket launchers!
  • 6 different types of foes to battle, plus a sneaky assassin squad to keep you on your toes!
  • Flickable enemy soldiers flick them up and shoot them mid-air!
  • Multi-touch support shoot with all your fingers!
  • Adaptive gameplay that changes based on your strategy to increase replay value - every game is different!
  • Full physics engine brings the clanking and rattling to a new level of realism!
  • Global scores compare your skills with others around the world!
  • Twitter support share your AWESOME DESTRUCTION skills with your friends!

Video trailer: CLICK HERE TO WATCH IT AT YouTube

Screen shots:

02-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Here's the video embedded:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!

02-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Just when I think I'm all doodled out, another cool looking doodle game comes out. This looks fun!

OK, so after this one, can we officially close the book on doodle games? Please.

Xbox Gamertag & Game Center: CzarCastic
02-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Haha! Quite right, CzarCastic. Good thing Doodle Blast! just made the official cut off. But I hope the moratorium does not apply to updates. We have a few potential updates and gameplay expansions planned and, if there is interest, we will sink some time and effort into them, bringing Doodle Blast! into a whole new level of AWESOME.
02-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Alright, I went ahead and TOFTT. (Woot! First time I get to use this overused acronym!)

The game is very fun. It's a great pick up and play app and will be a fun way to waste time, 5-10 minutes at a time.

The goal is simple. Roll your little tank as far as possible. You're given an arsenal of powerups to help you get as far as you can. Little ammo crates fall from the sky. Touching the crate adds a gun to your outrageous stack of weapons. The gameplay is frantic, tapping action. You simply touch the screen to shoot. The game supports multitouch and it's a must in this game. The enemies come at you in one nearly continuous stream. The graphics are crisp and clean. The art design (although the overused doodle theme) is really great. The sprites are all nicely animated. Even the scrolling graph paper background is interesting. It's crumpled in places to give a sense of movement.

At first, I couldn't really tell if I was taking damage. There's no life meter or indicators of any kind on the screen. But, then, I noticed that the animation on my rolling armory started to change. As I progressed, my little tank became darker and darker. It's a nice touch. I would like more of an indication that I'm almost about to die, though, because eventually your little tower of cannons crumples to the ground without any notice.

The ragdoll effects on the little foot soldiers is nice. It's funny to flick them up into the air and pick them off with your guns. If you don't flick them high enough, they'll get back up and come after you again. Flick them too high and they hit the ground with a splat. The enemies are well animated, but realistically you're blowing them up before you can even look at them in most cases.

The backgrounds are sparsely populated with trees and buildings, but fully destructible! You can blow the little doodle leaves right off of the trees, leaving a twig.

The sounds are perfect. From the starting up of the engine, to the creaking of your tank treads, to the gun fire, and the splat of the flying soldiers hitting the ground, everything is what you'd expect from an over the top cartoon game. I didn't notice any music, but the game really doesn't need it.

The game has it's own global leaderboard. You can pick your name and then choose to submit your score online. After a brief pause, you're able to continue. The game also remembers the last name entered. This could probably benefit from functionality like Open Feint or Plus+, but the proprietary leaderboards work just fine. I was surprised and happy to see myself near the top after my first game too. I wasn't sure how well I was doing on my first go.

Anyway, if you like the side-scrolling, get-as-far-as-you-can genre then you can't help but like this title. Recommended for a buck!

Now that I've bought it, I'm sure it'll go on sale for free any minute now. Keep that in mind.

Xbox Gamertag & Game Center: CzarCastic
02-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks for checking it out, CzarCastic! Nice to see you on the global leader board

And you are safe on the "sale for free" at least for the next few hours or so. I wouldn't worry just yet.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback! I'm already planning updates for the game and suggestions are always welcome.
02-27-2010, 01:15 PM
This is some of the best doodle art I've seen. Nice work!

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
02-28-2010, 03:42 AM
A few folks on some of the other forums were interested in knowing more about where Doodle Blast! came from and how it was made. So, reluctantly I jumped on the blog bandwagon and started writing about it. The posts will most likely be somewhat developer-centric, but you might find them interesting nonetheless.
03-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Doodle Blast! hits top 100 in the US store!

and makes the New and Noteworthy list!

Thanks for the support! We already have a couple of new updates in the pipeline. I will keep you posted.
03-18-2010, 11:32 PM
Doodle Blast! breaks 75!

Doodle Blast! breaks top 75 in the US in a slow but steady rise, getting an average of 4-5 stars from most users! I'm super happy to see the game being adopted as much as it is. It was an idea that was hovering around since the Sinclair ZX Spectrum days in the 80s and I was happy to finally make it into reality.

Now I need your help to make the game break the top 50! This a totally indie production, from graphics, to game play, to sounds, to video trailer that I've been hacking together over late nights and long weekends. No designers, no promoters, no studios. It's built on top of the community-supported Cocos2D and Chipmunk frameworks. It would be great to see the final product succeed.

Check it out if you haven't! Tell your friends, tell your neighbors, and blast the heck out of some doodles!

I'm already working on an update that should be coming out in a few days. If there is something you'd love to see in it, lemme know!