★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Gem matching with powerful magic!
#1 Free App in Taiwan (June 2010)
#1 Free Strategy Game in Australia (June 2010)
# 6 Free Strategy Game in USA (June 2010)

** 50% off for a limited time due to the overwhelming support from our free giveaway **

Start by matching gems of the same color. Then take the gem matching experience to a whole new level by matching the runes contained within each gem to unleash powerful spells and create new magic scrolls!

Power Gems features:
- Fire, Frost and Lightning spells for colour AND rune match
- 10 Magic Scrolls to discover.
- 4 exciting game modes to enjoy - Classic, Frantic, 100 Seconds and Eternal
- OpenFeint powered online location aware Leaderboards and Achievements.
- Turn the game music down to 0 to enjoy the iPod music selection you already have playing
02-26-2010, 11:10 PM
Anyone wanna TOFTT?

hi

02-26-2010, 11:26 PM
That's a very long list of rules. A lot of strategy for a match 3 game. Looks good. And from devs of Cluck It. Awesome

Crystal, OpenFeint, Plus+, Disc Drivin: Prab | Game Center: PrabSG
02-27-2010, 12:40 AM
Game Impressions

A match 3 with CRAPLOADS of strategy and power-ups? I bit and am glad I did so!

I love the weird game within a game within a game here!

At the most surface level is is simply about matching 3+ same colored blocks to clear pieces...but to pull off the big stuff you need to not only match the same color but have it so the elemental symbols inside the same colored blocks match as well. Beyond that is the fact that each of the elements have their own distinctive patterns of destruction (Fire just burns a bunch of adjacent pieces, Ice will freeze the entire row or column, whereas Lightning will follow the continuous path of any like colored pieces when you clear a set of bolts).

Cascades in this game can often be a sight to behold with pieces alternating between blowing up, freezing, and getting electrified!

Definitely a lot of strategic depth to this one!

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
02-27-2010, 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post

At the most surface level is is simply about matching 3+ same colored blocks to clear pieces...but to pull off the big stuff you need to not only match the same color but have it so the elemental symbols inside the same colored blocks match as well. Beyond that is the fact that each of the elements have their own distinctive patterns of destruction (Fire just burns a bunch of adjacent pieces, Ice will freeze the entire row or column, whereas Lightning will follow the continuous path of any like colored pieces when you clear a set of bolts).

Cascades in this game can often be a sight to behold with pieces alternating between blowing up, freezing, and getting electrified!

I glanced at it and only seen the small part of description and thought a simple match-3 like the majority but this has got a lot of content. Wow. I just might gets this........

Wonder if its gets too confusing with all the mixtures of spells and symbols. Have you played more since posting?
Hows the game after you've played it some more? Does it have too much stuff going on or is it well-balanced?
Same impressions as before? (sorry if it sounds naggy but just inquiring before buying)

Edit: Are there any swiping issues? (anybody else try this game too?)
.....graphics are great from the appsnipe screen shots.

Last edited by Coldar; 02-27-2010 at 02:11 AM.
02-27-2010, 02:54 AM
Looks a bit like Treasures of Montezuma with all the different powers you can use.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
02-27-2010, 08:44 AM
Game Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by medianotzu View Post
Looks a bit like Treasures of Montezuma with all the different powers you can use.
Nah, all power-up scrolls are fully explained (tap on one it it tells you what it does and your mission is always to match as many same colored and elemental symboled pieces as possible with Classic being untimed while Frantic and 100 (seconds) are.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
02-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Hm. Looks good but I think I'm going to wait. A match-3 has to be really fantastic for me to pick it up after spending so many hours on them in the last year. The only one I currently have on my device is Smiles, which scratches the rare itch I have to match things.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
02-27-2010, 12:17 PM
LG, thanks for the review - it looks potentially awesome

One question, if you have time, does the game allow for multi-touch during the play - similar to the Montezuma gameplay?
02-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post

I really appeciate your review, thanks!
I buy it now!

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.