★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Str8ts is going live in the most respected newspaper in Germany March 1.

03-01-2010, 01:01 AM
Str8ts is going live in the most respected newspaper in Germany March 1.

It is going to be a great day for Syndicated Puzzles the moment Str8ts hits the news stands in the am. 1.1 million potential readers will be able to try their luck at solving the puzzle. Sueddeutsche Zeitung in Munich will carry the puzzle daily. Str8ts is right beside Sudoku for a head on show down. We are hoping that Str8ts will have the same success Sudoku has enjoyed.

It will be really interesting to see the effect this will have on our app sales. It is even hard to imagine buying this type of exposure. Sorry for blowing my own trumpet but this forum can use some great news and success stories once and a while! Totally pumped and ready to see what happens!
03-01-2010, 01:42 AM
just how much money did that cost you?

Beta tester of 54 games
Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Thats a nice lookin gun.

03-01-2010, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak56 View Post
just how much money did that cost you?
I would like to know as well. Also, Germany isn't the hottest country you should be focusing on IMO. I think a newspaper ad in America with half that many readers would've gotten you more sales.

Water Your Body (ON SALE $0.99)
http://apps.google.com/#1iPhoneApp
Tic Tac Pro (FREE)
New and Noteworthy!
03-01-2010, 02:15 AM
I don't think he is advertising in the German paper, I think his puzzles are actually featured in the daily paper. Which should cost him nothing at all- I usually get paid when things appear in newspapers (comics, illustrations, etc.).

This will be interesting to see how it affects your sales with Str8ts, at least in the German market.

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone
03-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Hmm… I wonder. If it became a successful paper puzzle format, would papers pay you a license fee? Does the creator of sudoku and crossword puzzles get paid a license fee? Hmm!
03-01-2010, 09:11 AM
We are actually being paid a small daily fee and some add space for the submission of Str8ts. Typically syndicated products get a fee for their product. This market is very tough to crack partially due to the fact that the newspapers are having such a hard time competing with all the other forms of media. Sudoku was a big help to papers increasing readership and daily sales. People were buying the paper to get their daily fix.

The success of Sudoku in the papers stunned everyone. It spread like wildfire throughout the world in under a year. The money made off this phenomena was also staggering. I found one estimate quoting the sales for Sudoku related products in 2008 was 250 million US in the United States alone. The real appeal of Sudoku was the fact that it had no language component (except for the rules). Really grabbing the other side of the spectrum, readers with the inability and willingness to fill out a crossword puzzle.
03-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to mobile1up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicated Puzzles View Post
Str8ts is right beside Sudoku for a head on show down.
what is the difference between Sudoku and Str8ts?
i've seen a lot of suduko variants around; makes me wonder what is so unique about Str8ts.

// Aaron Ardiri
Mobile 1UP is a proud indie developer - support us!
developer of Caveman / Caveman HD and GW Series
03-01-2010, 09:35 AM
mobile1up

A black and white puzzle has a huge problem. The problem is the fact that you have no where to hide. Either your puzzle is able to grab an audience or it doesn't. This makes it really tough to succeed. Str8ts has a good chance at making it essentially, since it is quite different from Sudoku, relying on the sequencing of numbers in predetermined compartments. The fluff of Sudoku and Str8ts are very much the same, one solution, no math skills required, looks good in a newspaper, simple rules ..... etc.

Most importantly the hype surrounding Sudoku is slowing down, creating the need for the next puzzle. The timing might be perfect for Str8ts right now. A trained audience is waiting for a new challenge.

Last edited by Syndicated Puzzles; 03-01-2010 at 09:40 AM.
03-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile1up View Post
what is the difference between Sudoku and Str8ts?
i've seen a lot of suduko variants around; makes me wonder what is so unique about Str8ts.
You can play one here: http://www.str8ts.com/

The difference is that each line is a "straight" (as in Poker) and has to contain a run of consecutive numbers, but they don't have to be in order.

You have to fill in the white cells, the numbers in the black cells provide clues as to which numbers you won't be using.

So for example in today's puzzle, if you look at the lower-right, there's a 2 in a two-cell straight horizontally , so the other number has to be a 1 or a 3. But there's a black 1 in the same column, so that number has to be a 3.

Now that 3 is in a vertical two-number straight, and the other number has to be a 2 or a 4 - there's already a 4 in that row, so it's a 2.

That leaves that horizontal row of four cells with a 2 and a 4 in it. The straight could be 2-3-4-5 or 1-2-3-4, so all you know is that one of the cells has to be a 3.

The web page has a nifty solver if you want to watch one of these puzzles all the way through. Definitely try your hand at the online puzzles and see if it's your thing or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
03-01-2010, 11:57 AM
I have to say, it's not immediately obvious what you have to do.
I'll check out an SZ and see whether it makes sense on paper.

Edit: Ok, now I get it. The word "compartment" in the instructions threw me off!

Last edited by Nijo; 03-01-2010 at 12:07 PM.