★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Pocket God 1.04 - lightning!

View Poll Results: Which icon should be included with next update
Original Icon 11 11.11%
Pygmies on Fire! 26 26.26%
Electrocuted! 62 62.63%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll
02-04-2009, 01:28 AM
Pocket God 1.04 - lightning!

Hey Everyone, we submitted a new build on Sunday night again, hopefully it will be out tomorrow or thursday.

In this build, you can turn the weather from Sunny to Cloudy and drag electricity out of the storm clouds and electrocute the pygmies. There weren't many technical challenges in this release other than rendering the lightning shape but I did get a chance to check out texture optimization again.

So the issue is that, on the iphone and on many 3d accelerated platforms, there is a limitation that all textures need to have a power of 2 width and height. So, if Allan makes a texture that is 100x34, the texture in video memory ends up being 128x64 and takes up nearly twice the amount of memory as it should. The way to fix this is to make a huge texture that is 1024x1024 and try and fit as many of the odd sized textures as we can in the bigger space. If we pack them together efficiently enough, we end up with no wasted space which allows us to double the amount of textures in the game.

I started writing a tool in python that takes a folder of textures and tries to pack them into a 1024x1024 space but its actually a lot harder to automate than to do it manually. I ended up finding some sample code from a guy that claimed pretty good results(http://http://www.nuclex.org/pages/f...tangle-packing). and I also found a site from someone else who had already ported his code to python which saved me a bunch of time but my results ended up not being nearly as good as the examples on his site. His example shows a bunch of rectangles that are fairly small compared to the bigger container but in our game, we actually have some big textures for things like the island and the volcano and the script doesnt know how to pack smaller textures around the bigger ones. Hopefully I have some time this week to look at his script again and see if I can tailor it to our needs.

We also started swapping out different icons on the app store that reflect the last submitted update. The thinking is that the users who have been seeing our app in the top apps list time after time, have no idea that there is anything new so they dont bother clicking on it after they already read the description. So last week we added an icon with the pygmy on fire, and this week we will be adding an icon of a pygmy getting electrocuted. While this is only for the app store icon, we are thinking of updating the icon for the app on the phone as well but wanted to do something more community driven to decide which icon gets used each week.

So, from now on, when I do out new update thread for the week, I will include a poll for which of the previous icons we should include in the next update. This will probably not include the special icon for the update itself because we usually create it after the update is submitted but after it makes its appearance in the app store, it will be available for the next release.

Let me know if you guys think this is a good idea.
02-04-2009, 01:36 AM
I personally like the idea of keeping the icon current with what's new in the update, that way it's always changing and always represents the current version.

The poll is a good idea all the same though.

Best of luck with the Python script, it is indeed a lot harder than it looks.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc

02-04-2009, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donburns99 View Post
I personally like the idea of keeping the icon current with what's new in the update, that way it's always changing and always represents the current version.

The poll is a good idea all the same though.

Best of luck with the Python script, it is indeed a lot harder than it looks.
lol, forgot to add that option in the poll.
02-04-2009, 01:57 AM
I have a screenshot here, that illustrates exactly what you are putting your little guys through....

Sorry that took incredibly long, my itouch is a moron sometimes...

Cobalt and Calcium- THE Coheed and Cambria fansite- NEW ALBUM COMING SOON!!!!

Waiting for- Bioshock, NHL 10, FIFA 10, Guerrilla Bob, NOVA, Sketch Nation
02-04-2009, 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEDeliriumTrigger View Post
I have a screenshot here, that illustrates exactly what you are putting your little guys through....

LoL! Yes this looks shockingly awesome!

Gamecenter:1337brian
02-04-2009, 02:00 AM
Send a message via AIM to superbad
trust me guys! you can even SPELL out your names with the LIGHTNING!!! cool beans!!!

PLEASE Visit The APPera | Follow Me Superbad24 | Follow The APPera Tweets
LOST. Let Go. Move On. Zing!
**GO LAKERS **
02-04-2009, 02:06 AM
yay! ^^
02-04-2009, 02:28 AM
This is beaaaaaaast
just purchased. can't wait for the lightninng

now playing: Dela - Changes In Atmosphere & Cunninlynguists - A Piece of Strange
02-04-2009, 03:09 AM
Just voted and subscribed to this topic, looking forward to getting the update on my device.

Stefan
02-04-2009, 03:49 AM
The updated icon is a clever one, I think it might become a standard on the app store!

You are doing a cracking job, look forward to putting your world on fire!!!

Last edited by 'Jeep; 02-04-2009 at 08:15 AM. Reason: grammar