★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Freeverse's Plank now in app store

10-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Send a message via AIM to fpugirl
Freeverse's Plank now in app store

Has anyone tried this yet? It looks interesting, but I was hoping to hear what people think of it before I buy. It's out there for $1.99.

Plank
10-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Well I just bought it. I have i think most of the Freeverse games so far, and I love them. I'll tell you my verdict soon.

10-06-2008, 11:58 PM
Pretty good

I like it. It's going to take some getting used to though. The reasons being are, number one, there's no definitive marble legend telling you exactly what each special marble does. This isn't too big of a problem because, I'm sure that some of us, as we begin playing more, will fill everyone in as to what they do. Second, there needs to be a "next" marble indicator, like in Tetris, indicating what the next marble or, in this case, marbles will be. Other than those two arguments, the game feels polished. The accelerometer feels tight, with the ability to adjust it as needed, and the graphics, although as we all know, are not nearly as important as the game play, are superb, as are the music and the sound effects. Thanks Freeverse - Come participate in this discussion and let us know what your plans are for any updates for this game.
10-07-2008, 12:26 AM
I think that it is an original and very interesting twist on the match three games. In Plank, the marbles drop and they land on a hydraulic powered plank and you must roll the marbles using the accelerometer to tilt the iphone left and right, to match the marbles as they fall. Don't worry, your marbles won't fall off the ends! If you match 3 vertically, it destroys the whole column. If you match 3 across, they will just destroy those 3. Now if you match 3 in a diagonal, it blows up all the columns that have a marble in that diagonal match! Bombs will fall from the screen every once and awhile and you quickly touch them before they hit the other marbles to blow up the bottom row of your plank's marbles! Also if the gauge on the right goes nuts and steam flies out, then shake your iphone to destroy the bottom row! This will bring the gauge back down. The game is polished and well designed, and I recommend this fun game to people who like the match 3 kind of games like Trism, Bejewled, Jewel Quest 2 and all the rest of them.

Last edited by vaelsh; 10-07-2008 at 12:31 AM.
10-07-2008, 12:31 AM
Vaels - You figured it out! I went back to play it some more and realized what was going on. You're right. As a diagonal column is formed, everything underneath that diagonal is obliterated. The same seems to work with verticals and horizontals, in terms of the marbles underneath. This makes me appreciate the mechanics much more. Now, if you could please tell me what the "grippy" means and how you make it appear. Is it something deliberate we're doing, or is it random?
10-07-2008, 12:31 AM
I apologize Vaelsh for spelling your username incorrectly.
10-07-2008, 01:16 AM
Send a message via AIM to fpugirl
sounds good. looks like i have another game to add to my growing screens!
10-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Aaron from Strange Flavour here We've put some tips up on our site at http://www.strangeflavour.com/iphone

The basic gameplay mechanics are this.. Horizontal lines just delete the marbles that match, so lines above drop down immediately (and may trigger other matches).

Vertical lines delete and score the whole column they're in (handy for getting rid of a line that's building too high).

Diagonal lines delete *all* the columns they cross. They also set a x4 score multiplier (permanently) so it's good to get one early.

The different powerups are triggered after a certain number of marbles land or lines are completed (they're not directly linked to particular marbles). The Bomb triggers when you're a certain number of lines away from completing a level (it increases as the levels go up).

The powerups are:

Slowing Down: Slows the fall of marbles down so they tend to bunch up (but you get more time to plan)
Speeding Up: Everything falls faster
Grippy: Makes the plank surface more grippy so the marbles have less momentum and can be more directly controlled, but they take a little longer to get to speed.
Slippy: Makes the plank surface icy and life difficult

There are also double horizontal, double vertical and quad marble drops as powerups.

Slippy doesn't appear in 'normal' difficulty, but anything under Nnnaaarrrgh mode is really just for relaxing casual play and just for wimps
10-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Thanks Davidovich!

Well now someone has unveiled the truth of the power ups to us and now we can play this fun game and actually understand everything. (Well, almost...)
10-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Me again. As you might have noticed, Plank 1.1 is up on the app store. Mostly bug fixes for the memory gotchas, but you'll probably also spot a slight change (upwards) in the difficulty curve that speeds the game up a little. Mostly you'll probably notice the extra junk marbles that get dropped on you now each time you go up a level

Vertical and diagonal scores are of course ideal for getting rid of these before things pile up too much

oh, and has anyone been double tapping panels in the menus yet?