★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Circular Assault. Great and Forgotten?

10-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Circular Assault. Great and Forgotten?

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=288960053&mt=8

This came out awhile ago and i never heard anyone talk about it much. It only has a few reviews on the itunes store. Check it out if you missed it, some people thought it was too short, but i thought it was a lot of fun and unique. Maybe if more people buy it the developer will want to release more content.
10-07-2008, 03:53 AM
Bought and completed within a couple of days. The main problem I had with it was that it was far too easy, even on the hard difficulty setting. Still, it kept me entertained until I finished it.

10-08-2008, 04:46 PM
This is what happened with good games that have no big brand names attached to it. They die and sink to the bottom of the pile.

People only go for the tiger woods, the halos, the unreals, the dooms, the EAs, the Gamelofts of this world. Its the reality man, no branding = no loving.
10-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyk View Post
This is what happened with good games that have no big brand names attached to it. They die and sink to the bottom of the pile.
For me, this tanked because the gameplay was distant and not challenging enough, even on a hard setting. The lack of any other modes (why is there no survival mode?) also cut down the game's longevity.

Say what you want about branding but pre-App Store, I had never heard of Igloo Games, Cobra Mobile, IUGO or Smallware. I've bought and loved apps from these developers, not because of their branding, far from it. I've played these games because they have been the most rewarding for me as a player.
10-08-2008, 05:05 PM
so the game hasn't been upgraded or enhanced since its release?
10-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mek View Post
so the game hasn't been upgraded or enhanced since its release?
Nope, not once. If the developer acted on these issues (adding modes, making it more difficult, etc) then I'd definitely give it another shot.
10-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Quote:
People only go for the tiger woods, the halos, the unreals, the dooms, the EAs, the Gamelofts of this world. Its the reality man, no branding = no loving.
But then how do you explain Trism, Chopper, Cro Mag Rally, etc.? (Well, maybe Pangea is a bit of a brand, but nothing like EA.) I think the App Store erased some of the "no brand means you got nothin'" mentality, at least so far.

--Eric
10-09-2008, 12:24 AM
Quote:

correct. Like fieldrunners is made by electronic arts and not by some small developer team. Must be so - otherwise it had to be overseen.

I was interested in the game, but there weren't many reviews in the german store and the gameplay looked not so challenging. It's still on my list though.

The appstore is only one small part in promoting the game - it's the store where you buy it. As mentioned in the first post this game is nearly hidden. Is it in youcharcade, finger gaming or gamespot/ign? I guess not. And since there weren't many updates they don't get put on the top of the app/games list again. They also did not offer a lite version or some specials with price drop. If you as a developer think that you can just put an app to the store and everything else happens magically, you think wrong.
10-09-2008, 12:31 AM
It would be nice to see the developer communicate on the forums here. The game felt so solid in its presentation and gameplay, it seemed a shame it was glossed over. I can understand the desire for more modes/content/difficulty. Hopefully they'll come back to it eventually.
10-09-2008, 12:55 AM
Trism, Chopper are bad examples. Congratulations to these small guys for being there early. Seriously if Trism come out today, does anyone think it will enjoy the same success??? There must be 50 similar puzzle games out there by now...

The big brands have their way of promoting their brands. Good connections with people higher up in Apple/Carrier doesn't hurt. You guys seen any "special" homepage for the small developers? I'd only seen those for EA, Gameloft and Pangea. These publishers have special homepages linked by big banners on the AppStore. The big guys have good placement on the appstore pages. I swear i saw EA banners on there more often than any other publishers. This can't possibly be fair. The small guys don't have things like that. Believe it or not, these drives the sales of the big guys' brand and its simple economics driven by brand-awareness taking over after that. Vicious cycle.

The small guys such as Igloo Games, Cobra Mobile, IUGO or Smallware just float along with small sales until they make a poor game and they DIE.

Classic WalMart vs UncleJoe Gocery situation...