★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Being Left Handed and Gaming

02-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Being Left Handed and Gaming

I posted my 2 cents in regards to the Gemmed game having the colors changed due to color blindness for some people and it got me to thinking that most of the games are geared for right handed people in regards to controls, primary buttons, etc. Probably most lefties don't notice because we conform to these games but I noticed when I'm playing some word games I'll find myself reaching across the screen to tap a button instead of my right hand thereby blocking my view and if done repeatedly it gets to be annoying. I noticed Internal Force actually had an option for left or right handed playing and would like to see this implemented more so (if possible) in future games. Wondered if anyone else has any minor grievances with some games caused by being left handed? And if there game play would improve if had an option to use left handed controls as an alternative?
02-04-2009, 11:16 PM
im left handed and i see no problem at all with any of my games. Which ones give you trouble?

dirty deeds and their dunderchee

02-04-2009, 11:17 PM
We added an option to flip the screen in Bonce On for just this reason :-)
02-04-2009, 11:19 PM
Send a message via AIM to lilboarder32
Left Handed

I'm left-handed to and I dont seem to have many problems with too many games. I'm sure it has happened before, but nothing on my mind right now. Which games specifically are you having troubles with?

Usernames - LineRider iRide: lilboarder32 - Bomber Online: lilboarder32 - Feel free to add me!
02-04-2009, 11:19 PM
im not a lefty but i totally see how that could mess you up with the controls reversed to you, but is it really that hard or just annoying...

DinoSmash online id: *DoMbAv94* (stars included)
App reviewer on Appmania!
CarJack Streets Promo Code Giveaway!!!
02-04-2009, 11:21 PM
Like iHangman (simple game but) all the tiled letters are on the right side and using the left hand covers the guy getting hanged if use wrong letters for instance and miss that part.
02-04-2009, 11:22 PM
I totally agree it is a problem for us left handed cripples out there

Theseus has a nice option for Left-Handers, it switches all the buttons onto the opposite side of the screen, making it much easier to use
02-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Another is Bubblyz. Fire button or right and would prefer on left. My score would be higher if so....dunno, just like to have the right (left?..heh) feeling when playing the games......natrual feel.
02-04-2009, 11:26 PM
I'm not left handed myself, but it was one of several things I made sure to do in Smiles. Tilting left or right puts the undo/pause buttons on each side, so you can pick which is more comfortable.

| Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment | Mike @ Twitter |

Smiles HD for Mac and iPad | Smiles for iPhone/iPod touch (Twitter, Website)
IGF Mobile "Best Game" Finalist | Intel "Elegance in Design" Winner
02-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Hi I've added left-handed option in 2079 in the last update.

Developer for 2079