★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Free Hiqup Lite Now Available

10-07-2008, 01:48 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Free Hiqup Lite Now Available

Hi,

Some of you may have seen my post about Hiqup, my peg-jumping puzzle game that's much more than normal peg solitaire with bombs, teleports, blackholes and other features. Well I'm pleased to announce that Hiqup Lite, a free version of the game with a smaller number of levels is now available in the app store. Link below:

Hiqup Lite - It's Free!

Don't forget that the full version is also available for $1.99 and was recently updated to 1.1, including a few new options as requested by users (turning off background animations, show the status bar whilst playing and a quick reset button whilst in a game).

More info and a vieo of gameplay can be seen at the Hiqup web site.

Cheers and thanks for reading.

"Arthur & Charles Present Create & Play" now available on the App Store
iTunes - Arthur & Charles Website
10-07-2008, 04:05 AM
Just to say, I bought the full version awhile ago, and as a totally unbiased 3rd-party reviewer, I'd recommend this game. It's very well put together, and the variations on the classic peg-jumping theme add a novel twist.

My only concern perhaps is the relatively small number of levels... Do you have any plans to add more?

Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth Parachute Panic Chicken Raid
Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox

10-07-2008, 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettArchibald View Post
Just to say, I bought the full version awhile ago, and as a totally unbiased 3rd-party reviewer, I'd recommend this game. It's very well put together, and the variations on the classic peg-jumping theme add a novel twist.

My only concern perhaps is the relatively small number of levels... Do you have any plans to add more?
Interesting, there are 40 Hiqup boards (plus 7 tutorial boards) and 10 classic boards - nobody's previously commented that this is a small amount. But yes, I do have plans to add more levels in the future.

10-07-2008, 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moopf View Post
Interesting, there are 40 Hiqup boards (plus 7 tutorial boards) and 10 classic boards - nobody's previously commented that this is a small amount. But yes, I do have plans to add more levels in the future.
Hmm, yes, well, those 40 boards can be cleared *relatively* quickly, and as they are all pre-set layouts rather than dynamically created each time (obviously, because of the nature of the game), there's only so much re-play value in it...
More boards are always welcome!

What about allowing users to define and submit their own boards for inclusion in future updates?
Both LUMEN and NABOKO have a database of user-submitted boards and they have over 1,200 and 2,400 levels respectively!!

P.S: I'd also highly recommend NABOKO to other people here.
LUMEN, meh, not so much...

10-07-2008, 04:59 AM
Man, I went a bit overboard on the Smileys there, didn't I...?

10-07-2008, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Hmm, yes, well, those 40 boards can be cleared *relatively* quickly, and as they are all pre-set layouts rather than dynamically created each time (obviously, because of the nature of the game), there's only so much re-play value in it...
More boards are always welcome!
I'm really interested in your comments as they're completely different to those I've been getting via. email and on the app store reviews, so it's good to get an alternative viewpoint. Certainly the earlier levels are quick, especially to get bronze, but the levels further on are much more difficult to get bronze and gold is certainly very difficult. Although I'm sure there will be people that just "get it" and find them relatively easy, as with any game. Replay value has been a big comment that I've received because of the medal system the game uses.

Quote:
What about allowing users to define and submit their own boards for inclusion in future updates?
Both LUMEN and NABOKO have a database of user-submitted boards and they have over 1,200 and 2,400 levels respectively!!
If I had enough users to justify writing a level editor for Hiqup, I certainly would - it was an idea I had before I started developing Hiqup but the time it took to polish the game as it was meant that this necessarily had to be put to the background. I'm more than open to people submitting their own board designs, however, and can provide any helps and pointers to those who'd like to do that.

The other thing with something like Lumen, is that this was an already established title off the iPhone which obviously makes it easier to leverage quickly and inexpensively, everything that went before. Naboko is a clone of a game that's been around for a very long time so has the resources of previously created levels to draw on again. Hiqup is a new title, not a port, nor a clone.

10-08-2008, 07:10 AM
FYI, I played the demo and ended up buying the full game. Total success with the demo as, as you may recall, when you first announced the game here (and there was no demo) I said that it looked like it was probably well done, but I wasn't all that interested in peg jump game. After trying out the demo I found that I really liked it. The game is really polished and the 3 pieces, special spaces and such really make the game a lot more interesting. Great game at at good price.
10-08-2008, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
FYI, I played the demo and ended up buying the full game. Total success with the demo as, as you may recall, when you first announced the game here (and there was no demo) I said that it looked like it was probably well done, but I wasn't all that interested in peg jump game. After trying out the demo I found that I really liked it. The game is really polished and the 3 pieces, special spaces and such really make the game a lot more interesting. Great game at at good price.
Many thanks, glad you like it and went on to purchase! It's difficult knowing how much to put in a 'lite' version so people get a good idea of the game, that it gives them some fun for a while, but that it doesn't give them so much that they don't want to purchase the full version!

I'm hoping that the free version will encourage others to purchase the full version. Looking at my stats yesterday there were over 3500 downloads of the trial but still only a few sales of the full version (same level as before the trial version was available), so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it takes a few days to filter through into sales (if at all). Everything's got to be worth a try

10-08-2008, 08:39 AM
I think the demo was the right length. I have to admit that I didn't buy right away. It took me a day or so to decide to do it. Glad I did, though.

One thing - when I purchased it, rather, before I did, I first deleted the Lite version, then purchased the full version. The end result is that my progress from the Lite version was lost. Would it have been preserved had I kept the Lite version on there until after I'd installed the full version? I.e. would it read the same file? If it doesn't do that, I'd suggest adding that to it if possible. It's not a big deal, but would be a nice way to transition from Lite to full version.
10-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
One thing - when I purchased it, rather, before I did, I first deleted the Lite version, then purchased the full version. The end result is that my progress from the Lite version was lost. Would it have been preserved had I kept the Lite version on there until after I'd installed the full version? I.e. would it read the same file? If it doesn't do that, I'd suggest adding that to it if possible. It's not a big deal, but would be a nice way to transition from Lite to full version.
No, it wouldn't have been kept - they're two different apps as far as the device is concerned and so have separate storage areas which cannot be read by other apps. The only solution to this would be to have remote storage of progress and, really, that is complete overkill for this and opens a whole can of worms.