★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Does an app make money

03-06-2010, 04:08 AM
Does an app make money

Roughly how much money does an app/game make in, say, a month?
Even if your app was absolute toot and you had no advertising what so ever!
just an estimate is fine, e.g hundreds, thousands, nil etc.

Just wondering if it's as bad as people say it is. i.e, they're expecting millions in a day!

If something online is free, you are not the customer - you are the product.
03-06-2010, 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord-sam View Post

Just wondering if it's as bad as people say it is. i.e, they're expecting millions in a day!
Personal experience: Nothing. This is despite using quite a lot of time and money on advertising.

03-06-2010, 04:40 AM
Quote:

Looking at the list of games in your sig, it appears that you are removed from the indies by a large margin. Are you actually concerned about how much the average game makes in a day?

Indies generally do not expect to make 'millions a day', that is something that you completely made up yourself. While selling thousands a day would be fantastic, I am willing to bet a vast majority would settle on 50 sales a day.

For me, I can be perfectly happy with about 15-20 sales a day, and I do not think this is greedy nor unattainable; it is realistic.

The app store brings in some 10 million dollars a day. Divide this by 130,000 apps, and the average 'share' for each title should be about $76 a day. Very few developers maintain longterm sales of $75+ (short term is fairly easy to attain). To get into the Top 100, you need to sell at least 1000 a day, and that figure may be slightly more or less now with the changes in the app store.

This is assuming the money comes from a single region. More daily sales are required when your sales are scattered amongst a few different countries.

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone
03-06-2010, 05:06 AM
QFT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickitty View Post
Indies generally do not expect to make 'millions a day', that is something that you completely made up yourself. While selling thousands a day would be fantastic, I am willing to bet a vast majority would settle on 50 sales a day.
I guess you do find a few individuals who have read about Pocket God, Doodle Jump, iShoot etc. and think the AppStore is an easy way to big money. Most people with a bit of common sense know that's not how the world works.

My personal hope was to make a little bit of extra income after a few titles. Unfortunately (for me) this is still not the case, but that might simply be due to my inability to actually create something people would like to buy.

I still hope to see some kind of return eventually but, there's a canyon of degrees between "hope" and "expect".
03-06-2010, 06:10 AM
Can I just point out, I don't think they make millions a day, I said people thought they personaly would, and then complain about it when they don't.

If something online is free, you are not the customer - you are the product.
03-06-2010, 06:22 AM
Quote:
Can I just point out, I don't think they make millions a day, I said people thought they personaly would, and then complain about it when they don't.
I think you'd struggle real hard to find many developer who were expecting to make millions a day.
03-06-2010, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
I think you'd struggle real hard to find many developer who were expecting to make millions a day.
I agree - including the big players who have massive development costs & overheads to factor in even when they're making thousands a day.
03-06-2010, 06:45 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to mobile1up
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
what currency? hehe

i just did a presentation at the school of economics in stockholm. i gave some basic introduction to how to get started with iphone development and i outlined the gotcha's for entering the market.. of course; there was more than just slides to demonstrate. the event went over very well (i did a similar one before). you can find more information about it and slides to download here:

http://nordic.tie.org/TGS/EM/vieweve...?id_event=4253
http://www.mobile1up.com/blog/ (slides)

i dont expect to earn millions - however i did do extremely well with my first set of games before i was forced to remove them by Nintendo. since then - i have revamped the games to avoid legal issues and i have also worked on other custom projects. i use the hobby games to build my portfolio so i can offer professional services to people who want to explore the market in more detail.

// Aaron Ardiri
Mobile 1UP is a proud indie developer - support us!
developer of Caveman / Caveman HD and GW Series
03-06-2010, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile1up View Post
what currency? hehe
Not even in Swedish kronor!
03-06-2010, 07:55 AM
In realistic terms an indie dev does not make much on sales - but they should because most indie games (the good ones) beat down anything from the publishers. In quality and updates...

What most games buying public fall for are the licenses and hype that a major publisher produce. I just wish people can learn from their mistakes... Most of the time a game hyped by a major publisher sells well to begin with but fail at the end but they charged premium prices to begin with and make the cash on release.

The indie dev is so shit scared of releasing at a premium price that they loose out on the profit of first sales.

I think that any indie dev should do is build up a rep for quality product and sell for the price that it deserves. And this may take two or three games to get established.

In the end, say gameloft produce three crap apps at a premium price, and an indie dev produces three top products and builds a good relationship with the buyers with game expansion through updates. In the end, in a fair system, the games buying public should invest in the indie devs because they are getting a better service.

In reality this will not happen because people believe the hype of crap and will pay for it.

But I hope people have more intelligence than this and see what games are worth investing in.

So, to the question, if you believe your game has the right ingredients and compares better than the big publishers, then charge the price on what it is worth. Believe in your own work!

For the people who moan about games that are not 99c... Those days will come to an end by the end of 2010.

Why?

The quality of games is climbing for every week in the app store. The market is splitting into cheap non games and full on games with good quality production. And production costs money, as simple as that. If you want something that gives you 10 mins of pleasure then go for the 99c bracket but if you want something lasting then prepare to pay. That's going to be a big thing running through 2010.

And Apple should realize this and promote this and get rid of the dead wood... Because if they do not Microsoft are hot on their heals with windows mobile 7... They have a lot of money that they will throw at this... That's what they did with XBox and bought themselves into the console market. And they are very selective on what they will release.

If the market does not move away from the bargain price range then the market will never be taken on a serious note compared to DS or PSP games.

Anyway, this is going to be an interesting year in the Apps Stores life... Will crap or quality win? Will people get wise to the publishers ripping the buyers off? Will people support the indies more? Will Microsoft come in with high quality and take some of the market and give Apple a kick up the arse?

Who knows...