★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Best way to market/promote a trivia/quiz game?

03-08-2010, 12:10 AM
#1
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 369
Best way to market/promote a trivia/quiz game?

Hi, so like the topic title says, I'm working on a trivia-like game for the iphone. It's mostly text-driven, with questions asked in a quiz-like way. I'm thinking this kind of game wouldnt appeal too much to the audience that likes Eliminate or Nova, so I'm asking your kind input. What other audience would probably be interested in this game? I was thinking since this game would help people with question answering maybe students studying for their ACTs/SATs would find it useful. Would you think so, and if so, where could I promote this app to them? I thought about promoting it as something to play "when you are taking a break from those graphically intensive games" sort of app. What do you think?

thank you!

Last edited by originalcopy; 03-08-2010 at 12:17 AM.
03-08-2010, 02:30 AM
#2
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 165
It would probably appeal to casual gamers like myself that like good games at a cheap price. A good way to promote your app would be to ask reviewers (Like Myself) to review your app and send them a promo code!

I do play hardcore games occasionaly and I love the "Break from intensily graphical games" idea, very new concept on an iPhone promotion.

Last edited by Austin:]; 03-08-2010 at 02:34 AM.

03-08-2010, 02:44 AM
#3
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Australia, mate!
Posts: 8,419
People who like Game Shows/Board Games, maybe?

hi
03-08-2010, 03:44 AM
#4
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin:] View Post
It would probably appeal to casual gamers like myself that like good games at a cheap price. A good way to promote your app would be to ask reviewers (Like Myself) to review your app and send them a promo code!

I do play hardcore games occasionaly and I love the "Break from intensily graphical games" idea, very new concept on an iPhone promotion.
Ah, well, alright then, I'll ask reviewers here to please review my game, and I'll be sending a promo code your way when it's released. I am going for a cheap price, but how much aproximately would that be? I was shooting for the $1.99 pricetag. Didnt want to go for the 0.99$ one, at least not for the initial release.

Hmm, thank you, i was thinking about advertising this app along that idea of a some sort of relief or break from the graphical tour de force games. Something that you can play at your leisure in some sort of crossword puzzle way. But im not so sure how to nail it precisely like that.
03-08-2010, 03:45 AM
#5
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Guy View Post
People who like Game Shows/Board Games, maybe?
Do you have any idea what % of the gaming iphone population likes those types of games?
03-08-2010, 03:53 AM
#6
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalcopy View Post
Ah, well, alright then, I'll ask reviewers here to please review my game, and I'll be sending a promo code your way when it's released. I am going for a cheap price, but how much aproximately would that be? I was shooting for the $1.99 pricetag. Didnt want to go for the 0.99$ one, at least not for the initial release.

Hmm, thank you, i was thinking about advertising this app along that idea of a some sort of relief or break from the graphical tour de force games. Something that you can play at your leisure in some sort of crossword puzzle way. But im not so sure how to nail it precisely like that.
Okay, That would be great. By the way. I read in one of my Mac/Life magazines today that over 80% of iPhone/iPod Touch users buy 0.99$ games, while the other 20% is 1.99$ and up. Just a little statistic to be aware of too help you out on what you want the price too be. Also, a lot of developers usually put out there game for 0.99$ for a few days as a promotion that says "Get it while it's cheap!" and then they move it up to the initial price, which in your case would be 1.99$. This seems to work since people want to grab it quicky before the price goes up.

Last edited by Austin:]; 03-08-2010 at 03:59 AM.
03-08-2010, 02:51 PM
#7
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin:] View Post
Okay, That would be great. By the way. I read in one of my Mac/Life magazines today that over 80% of iPhone/iPod Touch users buy 0.99$ games, while the other 20% is 1.99$ and up. Just a little statistic to be aware of too help you out on what you want the price too be. Also, a lot of developers usually put out there game for 0.99$ for a few days as a promotion that says "Get it while it's cheap!" and then they move it up to the initial price, which in your case would be 1.99$. This seems to work since people want to grab it quicky before the price goes up.
Yea, good idea, i think I'll do that 0.99$ promotion "while supplies last!" I like that line, since supplies here actually dont run out. Nicereview site you have, I'll send you my game for your review too!
03-08-2010, 02:53 PM
#8
Yeah start it at 1.99 then go down to .99, people like to complain if the price goes down and won't buy if it goes up. I think the complaining froma few is the better decision.
03-08-2010, 11:34 PM
#9
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by da shiz wiz 19 View Post
Yeah start it at 1.99 then go down to .99, people like to complain if the price goes down and won't buy if it goes up. I think the complaining froma few is the better decision.
You raise an interesting point. But would you say if the price goes up from .99 to 1.99 more people wouldnt buy it than the people who would complain if it starts at 1.99 and goes down to .99? Damn, this seems more difficult than i believed. So if it starts at 1.99 would people complain about being ripped off when the price comes down lets say a month later to .99? Maybe to counter that I would make it .99 to new buyers for a "standard" version, and those who already have it would get "upgrades", like more trivia, an improved UI, and such for free.

If the price starts at .99 and then it goes to 1.99, would that increase stop sales cold?
03-22-2010, 11:20 PM
#10
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 369
Well, as a follow up to this my first app on the appstore, I think i found a good way to promote it. Plese let me know if you think it's a good idea or it's not. Since it's a mostly text-based app, maybe it would be of interest to those who download lots of ebooks to read them on their iphones. I was thinking advertising my app somewhere along the ipad and it's big ibookstore catalog promotion ads, maybe it would interest them to play a little trivia game in between them getting their ebooks. Anyone think that's a good strategy?