★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: What some of our players are saying:

"Love this game from the first play."
"This a great game"
"Pick up and play!"
---

You are a Roider.
The future mega-corporations look to space for their wealth. After destroying an alien world, the resulting asteroid field contains many valuable minerals. It is your job to claim them.

As a Roider, you have control over 4 cabled harpoons that you can use to grab minerals and pull them to your ship. Your employer expects results and the asteroid field has many worthless roids that will make your job that much harder.

Tap the screen to fire your harpoons, destroy asteroids and retrieve minerals. Grab a variety of power-ups to help maintain your required quota and become the richest Roider in the galaxy!

Features:

- Intense and addictive gameplay
- Unique cable and harpoon physics
- Gorgeous stylized 3D graphics
- A variety of cool power-ups
- OpenFeint Leaderboards
- OpenFeint Achievements

SEG Matt's comments:

Youtube link | Pop Up

We're excited to announce that our latest game 'Roider' is now available on the App Store. As you can see from the info above, you control harpoons on the side of your asteroid mining spaceship and must bring in the precious minerals to increase your ever decreasing quota.

We'd love to here any feedback, especially if you try the game. We'll update the game with any solid suggestions from the community.
03-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Just watched the video and I really like the premise. From the screenshots I was expecting something like missile command but the rope and harpoon idea is really unique

03-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganTnT View Post
Just watched the video and I really like the premise. From the screenshots I was expecting something like missile command but the rope and harpoon idea is really unique
Thanks, we really wanted to do something different than what you see in most other iPhone games. We hate the me-too shovelware other developers throw on the store as much as everyone else.

We'll post some info and tips for those that play the game here in this thread.

Roider Tip:
Your ships computer will calculate an intercept point between any passing Minerals and the selected harpoon. This shows as a crosshair target on the screen that is the same color as the selected harpoon. Tap that intercept point and your harpoon won't miss.

Mineral Colors:
  • Silver - The most common mineral. Worth the least.
  • Yellow - A slightly rarer mineral. Worth a healthy amount.
  • Purple - Less common and more rare. These will keep you in business.
  • Blue - The rarest and most valuable mineral. This will fill your quota bar entirely.

South East Games
pr@southeastgames.com
http://southeastgames.com
OpenFeint: Eternic
03-08-2010, 08:13 PM
I missed the promo codes as always but it looks cool so I bought it. The rope physics are pretty cool and the orange pickup that blows up the asteroids is awesome. I'm gonna play some more now, it's pretty addictive so far.
03-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to iVaro
I received a promo and let me tell you the rope physics make the game awesome. Only wish their were levels instead of the ever increasing speed( took me a while to notice the harpoon order too.

I have beta tested 57 games,
Now a reviewer at App Score!,
I do tweet GameCenter: iVaro/OF ID:1Varo
03-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Can you tell me what the green power up block does?
I pretty much figured out the rest but that one.

It seems the scoring is base entirely how long you last and I think there's a bonus for using the seismic power up?
Maybe it would be cool if there's a little scoring bonus for grabbing the rare blue mineral or using some power ups.

Very fun addicting game. Enjoying it very much so far.
Will definitely leave a good rating&review later tonight on iTunes.
03-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kino4ya View Post
Can you tell me what the green power up block does?
I pretty much figured out the rest but that one.
Power Ups:
There are 4 unique Power Ups in Roider that you can grab out of space. These will temporarily change how the harpoon that grabbed them works.
  • FAST - Increases the outgoing speed of your harpoon
  • PENETRATE - Your harpoon will smash through asteroids and keep on going
  • SLOW - Dramatically decreases the outgoing speed of your harpoon
  • SEISMIC - Creates a Seismic Blast every time the harpoon has a collision

We're definitely interested in hearing ideas on scoring. The seismic powerup doesn't add any additional points, it just makes life easier for a bit, especially later in the game. The score increases based entirely on how long you last as you said.

Adding levels is a strong possibility for future updates. The idea might be that you need to reach X points before you unlock the next level, so any ideas on how to improve on the scoring system and ideas on other powerups/enemies/etc for future levels would be appreciated .

We're also going to add OpenFeint challenges via an update soon. Let us know what else you'd like to see added and we'll get to work.

Roider Tip:
The goal in Roider is to harpoon and successfully pull precious minerals into your ship. The larger regular asteroids can knock minerals out of your harpoon, so it's important to use other harpoons to destroy asteroids before they hit minerals you're reeling in.

South East Games
pr@southeastgames.com
03-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Just wanted to post a heads up to those that have upgraded to version 1.0.1 which came a few hours ago, a last minute change to that build has caused OpenFeint to not connect properly so you won't be able to unlock achievements and post high scores.

We've already submitted version 1.0.2 which fixes the issue and we can assure you that we'll make every effort to ensure an error like this (especially relating to posting high scores and unlocking achievements which can be frustrating to not have recognized) will not happen again. We expect the update to be on the store within 24 hours.

As a byproduct of this mistake, we now have a bunch of promo codes to give away from version 1.0.1, so we'll be posting those in the promo code thread soon.

Apologies to anyone that has updated to 1.0.1 and can't connect to OpenFeint. If you haven't updated yet, we recommend you don't update until version 1.0.2 is available.

South East Games
pr@southeastgames.com
03-12-2010, 04:39 AM
I wanted to wait until OpenFeint was back up from maintainance before mentioning that Roider has been updated to 1.0.2 now and OpenFeint support is back in .

South East Games
pr@southeastgames.com
04-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for the code - got one in another thread, left a review. Thanks for posting the color codes for the minerals and the powerups - that helps.

It's a fun, challenging game. You use four different harpoons to capture minerals that have different "worth" and fill your quota bar, with blue being the most valuable mineral. Then there are four different powerups that occasionally fly across space, and each affects the harpoon temporarily. The crosshairs help immensely, but often the larger asteroids get in the way and must be obliterated so that they don't knock the chosen mineral off course or off the harpoon. It also has Open Feint integration, nice graphics, and solid pick up & play gameplay. Nice job.