★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

DropZap feature suggestions?

03-08-2010, 06:50 PM
DropZap feature suggestions?

What would you like to see added to DropZap?

I've been thinking of puzzle and rpg modes.

A puzzle mode could give you scenarios in which you are about to lose and you must pick the only correct drop column that will prevent the game from ending.

An rpg mode could give you various abilities (e.g., limited undo, removing a square directly, etc.) based on the total of your scores say.

Would you like to see a puzzle or rpg mode?

Do you have any feature suggestions?

P.S. The web version now has the new look: http://dropzap.appspot.com

==

App store link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dropzap/id338490375?mt=8

Demo video:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by amichail; 03-08-2010 at 10:46 PM.
03-08-2010, 10:53 PM
I love DropZap. It seriously is one of my favorite games for the iPhone..

My biggest gripe with it is the presentation, it just is not very screenshot-friendly. It looks like a bunch of boxes no matter how you slice it, and that tells a prospective player nothing about how it plays. Same with the icon.

You could polish it up really nice and have a bunch of nicely-rendered boxes, but even still, it needs more than a fancy render pass to make it catch on.

This has been a big issue during the early production of our own game as well (and even to this point!). We dressed it up with very nicely-rendered pieces, added cartoon characters to give it some oomph (they react positively or negatively depending ont he player's performance). At this point, especially on a crowded scene like the iPhone, every little bit counts.

Something else you should investigate is adding social support (I prefer openFeint). Lots of people DL games just for that reason. Add some achievements and stuff in there and people will grab it just to up their gamerscore, then when the addictive gaemplay hooks them, they'll stick around.

I grabbed this immediately when it first launched because it was free. I would not have paid money based on it's appearance (had someone else let me try it out, i sure would have!) This means you need to either find a different method of monetization (AdMob?) or at least put out a lite version so someone can try your game before they buy.

All of this boils down to, "how much more work do you want to put into the product." Things like production value cost time and money of course.. if you are looking for a quick fix to just tighten the screws a little, then you don't need to do much. If you are really intending to get more competitive with it, then a good amount of overhaul is in order. Either way, I think it's definitely a very fun game which I have promoted in the past and will do so in the future Talk to me if you are interested in getting help upgrading the aesthetics..
03-08-2010, 10:54 PM
OpenFeint.
03-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Both of your ideas sound great. That would be very nice.

My one gripe with the game is that at the main menu, we're shown four different modes, but when I actually play them, they all feel pretty much the same, just with two of the modes having more of a panickey feel as there is a timer of sorts.

So technically speaking, it feels like there are really only two game modes, but even then they both feel almost the same, sans the timer (lines filling up the edges and forcing you to move before that).

So more variety would be fantastic
03-08-2010, 11:18 PM
The four single player modes come from whether quick reaction time is required and whether there is just one level.

There is also a split-screen two player mode.