★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

$1000 for advertising our app? :P

03-09-2010, 05:38 PM
$1000 for advertising our app? :P

Just wondering who thinks it would be a good investment to spend $1000 for promoting Libra Balance?
And if not, why not?
03-09-2010, 06:05 PM
I'm not a developer nor do I know the first thing about developing but what I've heard is from most developers is advertising usually turns out to cost more money than it actually brings in.

Word of mouth from consumer to consumer is definitely the most effective form of advertisement, but it's difficult for a developer to really get that started.

I do know that seeing an ad on a web page for a game does not attract my interests whatsoever. When a friend tells me about a game though, I'm much more apt to check it out.

/sarcasm

03-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Or, what you should really do, is go around site to site and find a person or two to advertise your product like crazy for X amount of weeks and then pay them like $10-$20 in iTunes credit.

7/26/10-- Matt Garza throws first no-hitter in Rays history!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyoHazuki View Post
It may strike you as disrespectful to ask questions, that's ok, it strikes me as stupid not to.
03-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazilian Rider View Post
Or, what you should really do, is go around site to site and find a person or two to advertise your product like crazy for X amount of weeks and then pay them like $10-$20 in iTunes credit.
yea...im sure that a person (like me) who knows a lot of kids could show off the game to their friends and work hard to get the notice out on other forums other than this one...sometimes a review helps too. I know that i dont look at an advirtisement and want to buy something...i just think the dev has money to waste. A review + videos go a long way on forums....screenshots usually dont do a game justice...paying a kid/adult is much cheaper than paying a site, because the kid wants the itunes money to buy apps and stuff
03-09-2010, 06:28 PM
lmao ur asking if ur app is worth 1000 and thread right under urs is asking if theirs is worth 40000

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but I'm gonna kick you repeatedly in the balls"
- Will Ferrell
03-09-2010, 06:30 PM
i shall average the money and start a new app worth.. $20,500... too soon?

EDIT: GoldGlover411 is right... child labor via iTunes gift cards Why didn't think about that... hmm... Im kinda serious.

- Matt
mehware
03-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehware View Post

EDIT: GoldGlover411 is right... child labor via iTunes gift cards Why didn't think about that... hmm... Im kinda serious.

- Matt
mehware
I had the idea first!

7/26/10-- Matt Garza throws first no-hitter in Rays history!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyoHazuki View Post
It may strike you as disrespectful to ask questions, that's ok, it strikes me as stupid not to.
03-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehware View Post

- Matt
mehware
Think about it. Kids would work for a 25$ card. Even per week you could get almost a whole year (40 weeks of advertizing and having people get the word out and review it. People are more apt to listen to a person who is not the dev pitching the idea rather than an advertisement

(btw if you use the idea i do charge a creative idea fee of $25 itunes money )

Last edited by goldglover411; 03-09-2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Brazillian rider should also get 25$
03-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
Just wondering who thinks it would be a good investment to spend $1000 for promoting Libra Balance?
And if not, why not?
I would say the answer is as simple as: Do you think the advertisements would pay themselves back in profits, and are you willing to risk $1000 to find out.

One thing you could improve is the screenshots. They really don't show any gameplay or anything. I still don't even know what the game's about.
03-09-2010, 07:44 PM
any old person can pay for an advertisement....good game or bad. Thats how i look at it