★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Mobile version of the original indie title.

"a beautiful and moving aesthetic experience" -The Business Times

"a pretentious, ineffective waste of the interactive medium" -Destructoid

"striking and thought-provoking" -Eurogamer

"incredibly short and simple, but gorgeously rendered" -Joystiq

"like stepping into an interactive film" -Mac|Life

"Interactivity is a powerful thing. The Graveyard could have been a short film on YouTube and lost none of its presentational qualities, or its message. But the very limited interaction you have with the character -you can walk her forward and backward, or turn- instantly makes the connection deeper and more powerful than it would have been if you were simply watching." -Wired

Selected for the Independent Games Festival and Indiecade. Nominated for European Innovative Games Award.

The Graveyard is a very short computer game designed by Auriea Harvey and Michal Samyn. You play an old lady who visits a graveyard. You walk around, sit on a bench and listen to a song. It's more like an explorable painting than an actual game. An experiment with realtime poetry, with storytelling without words.

The Graveyard has one special feature: the possibility of death. Every time you play she may die.

With music (sung in Flemish with English subtitles) by Gerry De Mol, animations by Laura Raines Smith and sound effects by Kris Force.
By Tale of Tales, the independent games studio that created Vanitas for iPhone and iPod touch, and The Endless Forest, The Path and Fatale for PC and Mac.

Squeaker's comments:
Am I missing something or there's really no thread made on this? I'd have totally missed the 'game' if not for djflippy's sig and later, the front page article. So here's to more exposure.

03-10-2010, 08:52 AM
This looks kind of cool but overall pretty weird. So the entire game is moving the lady to sit on the bench?

03-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Very odd experience, the controls are very awkward, but it was worth it for free. Definitely not going to forget that.
03-10-2010, 08:56 AM
http://www.creativeapplications.net/...veyard-iphone/

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
03-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Well...that was...interesting.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
03-10-2010, 09:57 AM
I love the original "game".
The emotional impact there was huge, really.
But this port is not a good one I think.
The controls feel a bit off. There is no landscape mode and at the end,
when you see the close shots of the woman's face. I think, in the original one it was a closer layer of the moving character. This time, it's just dead stills.
All these points make it a much worse experience, which is pity.

I love the idea behind it.

{ Permanently addicted to: 868-HACK }
I perform. Therefore I am. You should book me.
..::: METROCCOLIS :::..
03-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Did I miss something? I walked to the bench, and sat down and it played a song.

I mean, I like art and stuff...you know...but the whole thing took about 5 minutes total and well, I just want to make sure I didn't miss something there.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
03-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by medianotzu View Post
Did I miss something? I walked to the bench, and sat down and it played a song.

I mean, I like art and stuff...you know...but the whole thing took about 5 minutes total and well, I just want to make sure I didn't miss something there.
You didn't miss anything. As I said, the full effect comes with an open mind, some minutes time and on a big screen. Then you could cry at the end, really. See it as a 5 minutes poem, where it's more about an atmosphere than a goal. Imagine, it would be you already struggling to just walk for some meters. This game makes you really feel how it is in the end... close to death...

{ Permanently addicted to: 868-HACK }
I perform. Therefore I am. You should book me.
..::: METROCCOLIS :::..
03-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by your personal robot View Post
You didn't miss anything. As I said, the full effect comes with an open mind, some minutes time and on a big screen. Then you could cry at the end, really. See it as a 5 minutes poem, where it's more about an atmosphere than a goal. Imagine, it would be you already struggling to just walk for some meters. This game makes you really feel how it is in the end... close to death...
I guess I got that it was supposed to do that, but it didn't really work on me. I guess I am a heartless bastard. Or perhaps as you say, it works a lot better as it was originally done, and not so much on the iDevices.

03-10-2010, 06:08 PM
It was probably better on the computer, but hopefully there will be updates. It's a pretty deep, not for the regular person.