★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Dev account finally approved - when to start an "upcoming" thread?

03-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Dev account finally approved - when to start an "upcoming" thread?

After 5 weeks it's finally approved! I just wanted to see how far along some of your folks would open up a thread there.

I've been working on my first shot for a couple months now, so it's not at ground zero. Tomorrow, when the account is set up I'll be able to hardware-deploy and get more functionality moving. There are bugs, but it should be semi-playable once I hook in the accelerometer.
03-11-2010, 12:01 AM
start the upcoming thread whenever you think it is time to reveal it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomdude View Post
...I vink you fail good sir. I don't vink vat yo get ze jok.
Proud Member of SAB
SAB Intelligence Officer

03-11-2010, 12:08 AM
I start it when I'm sure I will release it. I have a graveyard of half finished projects -- no sense in announcing if you might just scrap it. Sooner is better though, to help build awareness and get feedback.
03-11-2010, 12:11 AM
I would be careful about announcing it pre-maturely. You don't want to wait to long though.

I announce my game Bullet Skater a year too early, and development went on and off constantly. Thankfully, it's now done.

Bullet Development (twitter) Bullet Skater // Psychedelic

03-11-2010, 08:40 AM
I think I missed a memo. How do you get a dev account? I don't see any link to do so.
03-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypeon View Post
I start it when I'm sure I will release it. I have a graveyard of half finished projects -- no sense in announcing if you might just scrap it. Sooner is better though, to help build awareness and get feedback.
That's exactly the problem I've had with years of past projects! My HD is littered with apps/interfaces/etc that I started and never got far enough. I'm pretty determined to just get something released that's not embarrassing like a lot of the 99c apps.
03-11-2010, 11:29 AM
My two cents (and totally opinion - your mileage may vary).

You should also create an upcomming games thread no later than a week before arrival in the AppStore.

It's ok to create an upcomming games thread long in advance of actually completing the game, but you'll need at least a handful of attractive screenshots. These screenshots can be 100% real, or partly mocked up. If you have a handful of works-in-progress, you can use upcomming games threads to gauge mainstream interest (and help choose which project to focus on) or to solicit ideas for gameplay/controls.

Or you can do both - create an "upcomming games" thread long in advance of completion. Then update the thread with video when the release is eminent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSS View Post
After 5 weeks it's finally approved! I just wanted to see how far along some of your folks would open up a thread there.

I've been working on my first shot for a couple months now, so it's not at ground zero. Tomorrow, when the account is set up I'll be able to hardware-deploy and get more functionality moving. There are bugs, but it should be semi-playable once I hook in the accelerometer.
03-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Thanks Stroffolino. I've actually got an alpha going on hardware now with some preliminary graphics. I'm thinking once I get the basic gameplay functional I can start asking for feedback (pricing, modes, etc). Still not sure how I'll do a 'lite' versus 'full' version other than ad-supporting the lite which I'm hesistant to do.

03-11-2010, 01:34 PM
I'll echo everyone else with "when you're ready" ... building up some steam for your release is a great step! Just make sure you're going to follow through and actually finish the game. I'd say the best time is a few weeks before you plan to release it, that way you can continually update the thread with progress and have more people view it.

At least that's my plan for our new game... coming soon!
03-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Wait until the graphics are finalised.

I certainly wouldn't make a post displaying the placeholder graphics.

Didev Studios || Twitter || YouTube || Facebook
Releases
GeoSnake || Bugz || Review Scraper (Open Source)